The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

What's the strangest interaction you've ever had with someone?

Master 112

Couple of months ago I was walking home and turned into the alleyway leading to the back of my apartment building. There was a women squatted down with her pants pulled down around her ankles, pissing in the street like 5 meters or so from me, in broad daylight. We made direct eye contact and I could hear the stream flowing. She said "don't look at me." I burst out laughing. She started laughing, too. It was a strange experience.

2 hours ago, NucksPatsFan said:

A few years back after I got into a little bit of trouble, it was hard getting a job. Luckily I was able to find a part time gig emptying garbages and other custodian duties at a post secondary school. It was a pretty cool gig, got to listen to my headphones and just work. I noticed that the math teachers would prep for the next day by writing out their math problems on the board before they left. To mess with them, I'd solve them and they'd come in to a solved board.

One of the teachers doesn't know what's happening so he keeps leaving harder problems and I keep solving them to mess with him. One shift, the dude hid in the school and waited for me to solve the problem before coming into the room. I made a run for it. 

I was pretty sure I was gonna lose my job so I ended up getting drunk and getting into a fight and sadly arrested. Surprisingly, this teacher shows up at my court hearing and actually got me out of jail! ..as long as I studied math under him. We ended up having a weird relationship, though every time he tried to help me, I just messed with him.He really wanted me to succeed but I ended up ghosting him and moving away. 

Do you like apples?

1 hour ago, Scottish⑦Canuck said:

On a less cheerful note I once met a member of this forum and they spent the entire time more or less saying that I was a second class citizen because I was born a Catholic while painting Protestantism as a superior belief. Was totally bizarre but one of the darker elements of the West of Scotland. It may surprise you to learn that I never met said member again.

Did you meet Bodee?

11 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Did you meet Bodee?

No, Bodee was a bit mad but harmless.

I can't even remember what his username was. Something along the lines of Tory Unionist or something (I really don't know what I expected with that username). Met at the university bar and he just went straight into the "Are you a Catholic? Do you support Celtic?" stuff followed by a long rant about Catholicism, religion and the IRA and how Irish Catholics were a burden on society. 

He had messaged me asking to go for a few pints of beer as well and when I got there and ordered beer he said that he didn't partake because the consumption of alcohol led to sin.

I was relieved to get out of there by the end of it. There's a group of people in the Central Belt with views belonging in the 17th century and he happened to be one of them. 

5 hours ago, diesel_3 said:

On my way to Afghanistan, I shook the hand of Russ Williams as we deplaned in Winnipeg and then again as we boarded after a short stop. Our flight attendant to Camp Mirage was Marie-France Comeau. One month later, she would be dead at the hands of Russ Williams. Was a really eery feeling finding out about that.

oh crazy, i remember watching a documentary or something about him.

People in general when it comes to chit chat. Strangers, people I know. Usually not a fan of the stupid, idle casual talk that has no bearing on anything. It's not weird or anything, but rather it's just like "Okay, that's enough, leave me alone." Like George Carlin said. I'm good with people in small doses. After about 30 seconds, I gotta get the hell out of here.

When that person who thought he may be Michael Dunahee contacted me here, that was pretty strange because I'd been so invested in that case when it first unfolded.  Had a son about his age....I remember my Mom being SO upset and following the news.

So that was bone chilling to me, as I really thought he might have been.  I was super emotional away from my conversations with him.  I feel good about having taken charge of the situation here (think I hid the thread so he could figure it out?).  As there was going to be a period of waiting for a long while for results, thought it would be in his best interest to just keep out of the spotlight....it quickly got out and to the news and he was totally overwhelmed.  He, himself, didn't really know much about the ordeal, so I gave him what info I knew/had. 

But I held out hope it was him.  That would have been amazing, but it wasn't to be.  I feel it is ok to talk about it now, because he's long gone from here and this is no longer news worthy.  But he had such mixed emotions...wasn't sure he wanted to know if he was and the thought of how it would change his life was daunting.  I can't imagine going through that....

The other one is also something I've talked about here.  Hitchhiking (it was our ride sharing back in the day) to Zeppelin when my driver turned off on an isolated exit.  In hindsight and seeing the story after the fact, convinced it was Gary Ridgway.  The entire interaction was weird and my gut told me, from the moment i got in the car, I was in trouble. 

American tourists coming of a cruise ship and me on my mountain bike  they  mistook  me  for singer randy owen, that  was pretty weird especially when the insisted I was him "so you moved to Canada to avoid the spotlite " so thats when I started going along with it , they sounded disappointed when I said I love Canada, I wasn't lying about that ,muricans…...

I didn't think of it as a strange encounter at the time but in my mid teens a few buddies and myself were in the local taekwondo club. There was a fella in the club who was a bit of an odd duck. Seemed almost kinda creepy yet harmless. Fast forward a year after graduating high school and I'm living in another city going to university and my mom calls me and asks if I knew who this guy was. She says his name and I'm like yep I recall him from taekwondo. Turns out the guy had a beef with some fellas that were in my grad class for various reasons and one night found some of them partying at a park nearby and confronted them by shooting and killing 3 of them and seriously wounding a 4th. He then disappeared and was never seen again.

I think back and wondered how easily that could have been me and my friends on the wrong end of that interaction. Thank goodness all our encounters with him were cordial and about martial arts.

when i first moved to smithers, i went into a restaurant to eat.  the waitress came over and yelled at me....what are you doing here, she shouted? i just came in for some food, i told her. she took my order and when she brought my food, she appologized. she said, i thought you were bernie parent and since it is hockey season, you shouldn't be here. she introduced herself. i'm mary watson, mother of jim and joe watson who play for the flyers.  i got to know the whole family, including jim and joe. very nice people.

2 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

When that person who thought he may be Michael Dunahee contacted me here, that was pretty strange because I'd been so invested in that case when it first unfolded.  Had a son about his age....I remember my Mom being SO upset and following the news.

So that was bone chilling to me, as I really thought he might have been.  I was super emotional away from my conversations with him.  I feel good about having taken charge of the situation here (think I hid the thread so he could figure it out?).  As there was going to be a period waiting for a long while for results, thought it would be in his best interest to just keep out of the spotlight....it quickly got out and to the news and he was totally overwhelmed.  He, himself, didn't really know much about the ordeal, so I gave him what info I knew/had. 

But I held out hope it was him.  That would have been amazing, but it wasn't to be.  I feel it is ok to talk about it now, because he's long gone from here and this is no longer news worthy.  But he had such mixed emotions...wasn't sure he wanted to know if he was and the thought of how it would change his life was daunting.  I can't imagine going through that....

The other one is also something I've talked about here.  Hitchhiking (it was our ride sharing back in the day) to Zeppelin when my driver turned off on an isolated exit.  In hindsight and seeing the story after the fact, convinced it was Gary Ridgway.  The entire interaction was weird and my gut told me, from the moment i got in the car, I was in trouble. 

My neighbor when I was 13 was a serial rapist & killer.  Came home from school one day and there are like 30 cops in his yard and tons coming and going from my house. The front window of his place is smashed our and covered in finger print dust.  Clearly this freaked me out and there is a cop at the back door asking who I am.  I say "I live here..let me in.' and find my mom making coffee with another 10-15 cops in the place using our phone to keep it off the radio/scanners. 

Turns out the neighbor had kidnapped a 16 year old girl then beat and raped her over several days.  That morning he had told her that when he got home he was going to kill her.  She managed to break out of a closet while tied up and blind folded and then jumped head first through the window.  A passerby found her jumping down the street buck naked covered in blood and took her to the hospital. 

Buddy had done time in the 70s for multiple rapes. This was in 1993. He confessed to several more rapes and murders while questioned. He was declared a dangerous offender and died in prison last I had heard.  

Can't remember his name. 

21 hours ago, Sean Monahan said:

I was working out at the local rec centre one time about 4-5 years ago and there was a guy there acting kinda funny. Walking around really fast telling people “you don’t get bigger just sitting there” and “abs were never made by texting”. Harmless but weird. Pretty sure he’d been into the booger sugar. 

I was in the change room afterward and he asked me about the scar on my head (it goes from ear to ear through my scalp, the result of surgery to repair a skull fracture in 2009). I told him what happened and then noticed he had a handful of 1-1.5 inch scars around his abdomen (he had his shirt off). Somewhat sheepishly he replies “oh yeah, few years back there my girlfriend and I got into a little fight and she stabbed me a few times then ran over me with her car. But it’s the will to survive, just the will to survive.” At this point I was pretty stunned and trying not to laugh so I asked, more sarcastically than anything, “you guys still together?” And he said “yeah we worked it out. I love that woman to death.”

HOW DO YOU WORK THAT OUT?!

Maybe he was filming a YouTube prank?

Not my strangest interaction by a long shot but I thought it was funny. I was in Cultas a few weeks ago. I rent a cabin on the waterfront so my kids can enjoy the lake and swim and whatnot. My youngest loves to jump off the dock in front, he did it everyday, but one day a bunch of early twenty somethings took over the dock and they were drinking, smoking and playing loud music with inappropriate words so I kept him off as long as I could waiting for them to leave. 

They were there for the majority of the day and after hours of whining I decided to take my kid out there because we only had one day left. He jumped off the dock for a bit when one of the guys in the group jumped off the dock at the end and swam around to the ladder I was standing by.

As he's getting out I can see he's as red as a tomato from being out in the sun all day. He looks at me and walks over and says "how's it going" in a drunken slurred voice and shakes my hand. I say "good buddy, you? It looks like you got a little sun today?" He looks at me all confused and says "Sunday? No man it's Saturday". I replied with a big smile on my face, "actually it's Thursday" and repeated what I said before. He stumbled back to his group without saying a word and that was the end of our conversation. 

It would be funnier if I could convey the drunken confused voice he responded in but you'll just have to use your imagination. 

Archived