Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

V as logo centrepiece (V = Victory)


spinarama

Recommended Posts

Often wonder why Canucks haven't used the obvious <V> on the logo.

It looks like Victory. (and a C looks like an average grade ...).

A big V was used by Las Vegas on their logo and they even dropped the "Las" to do it.

Look at where they got to so soon.

You might look at Leicester City of the EPL, winning the title despite the longest odds.

Their jersey had on the front "King Power".

Maybe an ideal Canucks logo has the big powerful lumberjack Johnny Canuck leaping through the V. With a big grin of course. Thoughts?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well the first time we went to the finals with the V and some questionable colour scheme making it hard to discern what the heck was going on, it didn't help much with the Islanders (ok they were the top team for a four year stretch)....

 

Never really been a fan of the orca given it's roots came from a US corporation branding us with their logo...but at least it makes sense given Vancouvers location and at some point the identity crisis should be put to bed.   The skate was better than the V unis, the first one was too smart for the time period and especially for the colours of the time period (for those who remember the 70's you know what I mean, orange carpets and advocado appliances were the norm, and all that brown!) were also good.  Maybe it's time to just accept that it's time to stick to what we have and leave it at that...of course unless it means a permanent reversion to the skate going really, really fast uni's, but as long as it's not the ones that are half red half black. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

Well the first time we went to the finals with the V and some questionable colour scheme making it hard to discern what the heck was going on, it didn't help much with the Islanders (ok they were the top team for a four year stretch)....

 

Never really been a fan of the orca given it's roots came from a US corporation branding us with their logo...but at least it makes sense given Vancouvers location and at some point the identity crisis should be put to bed.   The skate was better than the V unis, the first one was too smart for the time period and especially for the colours of the time period (for those who remember the 70's you know what I mean, orange carpets and advocado appliances were the norm, and all that brown!) were also good.  Maybe it's time to just accept that it's time to stick to what we have and leave it at that...of course unless it means a permanent reversion to the skate going really, really fast uni's, but as long as it's not the ones that are half red half black. 

Yeah look around the city of Vancouver. Whales on murals, whales on T-shirts. Whale Watching tours. Whales as statues. 

Such big corporate roots. You'd think they were not some iconic part of our city. Add to the fact they are endangered, and a near top of the food chain mammal, who's main risk to survival is humans and its destruction of the oceans, and it's food sources. 

 

Previous owners had the Grizzlies, yet no one complains it was a Orca Bay property. Memphis liked it enough to keep the name. (How many Grizzlies are in Tennessee I wonder?). You might want to let go of your hatred of McCaw. Because he at least kept the team here. And unlike other owners in other cities,  never made demands from the city and province to keep the hockey team here. I love how fans complain that the Aq's are meddlesome owners, yet bash McCaw for being an absentee one. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Yeah look around the city of Vancouver. Whales on murals, whales on T-shirts. Whale Watching tours. Whales as statues. 

Such big corporate roots. You'd think they were not some iconic part of our city. Add to the fact they are endangered, and a near top of the food chain mammal, who's main risk to survival is humans and its destruction of the oceans, and it's food sources. 

 

Previous owners had the Grizzlies, yet no one complains it was a Orca Bay property. Memphis liked it enough to keep the name. (How many Grizzlies are in Tennessee I wonder?). You might want to let go of your hatred of McCaw. Because he at least kept the team here. And unlike other owners in other cities,  never made demands from the city and province to keep the hockey team here. I love how fans complain that the Aq's are meddlesome owners, yet bash McCaw for being an absentee one. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

To each their own, I find it disgusting that a corporation put its stamp on the Vancouver CANUCKS...it's the only team in the NHL thats done that.  A whale has nothing to do with the word Canucks, the city yes, and yes I like whales and probably have seen more orcas in the wild than most fans.   Of course I don't hate him for not moving the team, I just never liked the uniform at the time, and much preferred the old one.   I also stated several times that the current version is the best (at least we somewhat went back to our roots with the colours, but only somewhat more on that later) and that I'd rather keep the logo than make another one  (but would be estatic if we went back to the original permanently).  I'm not alone on this either, most of my friends from the generation that went through the first three uni's feel the same about the orca.  

 

As far as other fans and expert designers that help rank the all the uniforms (THN occasionally puts out a mag with the fifty best hockey sweaters and a rank with the current ones and a bio for each) it might surprise some fans that we never get any recognition for any of them except the original and the skate (which designers like for both the simplicity and overall design) and both the first orca and the Vs are considered some of the worst sweaters all-time, not far below the NYI fish sticks.

 

Some of the current criticism is it's too busy with Vancouver written on it, and if you take away the green pin stripes and replace the logo with the maple leaf you get you know what.  Same with TB.  At least the skate and the Vs were unique and original, and with a glance you knew what team the sweater was, the black orca blended in with twenty other unis from the time period that went to black and an ugly palate of other colours, and really was quite bad ( but those were the times too, St Louis, NYI, Dallas, MIN, and on and on made some terrible changes at the time too all because a study came out that black was considered intimidating...well why didn't we just keep it the way it was?...oh yeah a narcissistic owner wanted to brand us with his comany name right on the middle of the sweater.

 

When Vancouver joined the legaue blue had already been monopolized by NYR and TO, and with expansion still going on they made a choice to brand the team with their own set of colours which they did with the Vs. It made sense at the time and still does, black, red and yellow could and should have been where we stayed, it was unique.  

 

Water under the bridge though as re-branding at this stage is kind of neurotic given the best team we ever had made an entire generation of new fans and it's not necessary.  The orca is here to stay, but it wasn't needed in the first place and it's shameful an owner would put their own name on an NHL team that way.  

 

Also currently we are extremely lucky to have the best owners we've ever had, and compared to OTT etc I'm grateful for it. 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Baggins said:

Yup, logos win championships, not teams. :rolleyes:

It's all in the mindset. Every time they skate across center ice they'll see the V and think to themselves "V, like Victory". Then they'll play harder. OP is onto something here. Brain science is the way of the future.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I like this idea.  We could play this (Stallone) movie on the Jumbotone on a continues loop during games too!  It has a BIG V too!  So many ways to get our team to be better, without actually ... getting better.  The Cup would be ours!!!  

6A787B2C-5A3D-4877-BEDF-66CEAE038ED2.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, IBatch said:

To each their own, I find it disgusting that a corporation put its stamp on the Vancouver CANUCKS...it's the only team in the NHL thats done that.  A whale has nothing to do with the word Canucks, the city yes, and yes I like whales and probably have seen more orcas in the wild than most fans.   Of course I don't hate him for not moving the team, I just never liked the uniform at the time, and much preferred the old one.   I also stated several times that the current version is the best (at least we somewhat went back to our roots with the colours, but only somewhat more on that later) and that I'd rather keep the logo than make another one  (but would be estatic if we went back to the original permanently).  I'm not alone on this either, most of my friends from the generation that went through the first three uni's feel the same about the orca.  

 

As far as other fans and expert designers that help rank the all the uniforms (THN occasionally puts out a mag with the fifty best hockey sweaters and a rank with the current ones and a bio for each) it might surprise some fans that we never get any recognition for any of them except the original and the skate (which designers like for both the simplicity and overall design) and both the first orca and the Vs are considered some of the worst sweaters all-time, not far below the NYI fish sticks.

 

Some of the current criticism is it's too busy with Vancouver written on it, and if you take away the green pin stripes and replace the logo with the maple leaf you get you know what.  Same with TB.  At least the skate and the Vs were unique and original, and with a glance you knew what team the sweater was, the black orca blended in with twenty other unis from the time period that went to black and an ugly palate of other colours, and really was quite bad ( but those were the times too, St Louis, NYI, Dallas, MIN, and on and on made some terrible changes at the time too all because a study came out that black was considered intimidating...well why didn't we just keep it the way it was?...oh yeah a narcissistic owner wanted to brand us with his comany name right on the middle of the sweater.

 

When Vancouver joined the legaue blue had already been monopolized by NYR and TO, and with expansion still going on they made a choice to brand the team with their own set of colours which they did with the Vs. It made sense at the time and still does, black, red and yellow could and should have been where we stayed, it was unique.  

 

Water under the bridge though as re-branding at this stage is kind of neurotic given the best team we ever had made an entire generation of new fans and it's not necessary.  The orca is here to stay, but it wasn't needed in the first place and it's shameful an owner would put their own name on an NHL team that way.  

 

Also currently we are extremely lucky to have the best owners we've ever had, and compared to OTT etc I'm grateful for it. 

 

 

It had more to do with Quinn, the artist, and Linden than Orca Bay and McCaw.

 

PS: A stick in rink has nothing to with the word Canucks either. Either both represent Canucks by forming a C or neither does. It's the lamest argument against the Orca logo out there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, spinarama said:

Often wonder why Canucks haven't used the obvious <V> on the logo.

It looks like Victory. (and a C looks like an average grade ...).

A big V was used by Las Vegas on their logo and they even dropped the "Las" to do it.

Look at where they got to so soon.

You might look at Leicester City of the EPL, winning the title despite the longest odds.

Their jersey had on the front "King Power".

Maybe an ideal Canucks logo has the big powerful lumberjack Johnny Canuck leaping through the V. With a big grin of course. Thoughts?

We have a logo, it doesn't need changing. I'm not entirely sure why it's thought that a new team logo is on the table by some fans? 

Just my thoughts.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Baggins said:

It had more to do with Quinn, the artist, and Linden than Orca Bay and McCaw.

 

PS: A stick in rink has nothing to with the word Canucks either. Either both represent Canucks by forming a C or neither does. It's the lamest argument against the Orca logo out there.

Sure.  That's just propaganda.  If they wanted to make a change why did they match it with the company name that owned the team then instead of something else.  Maybe you weren't around when all this was unveiled, if not then I understand, if so then you'd have to be pretty naive not to see that we just got re-branded by a corporation.  Glitz!  lights! Razzle Dazzle we are  the Orca Entertainment Canucks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...