The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

V as logo centrepiece (V = Victory)

spinarama

11 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Stipec, I really feel, was put on the spot on TSN 1040. No matter what he said, I have a hunch that the orca will be gone by the 50th. I believe that the Stick In Rink will be the primary and Johnny Canuck will be the new alternate. There is more than enough consistency between the two logos than the lack of any consistency between the SIR and the orca. It doesn't make sense to have two Canucks hockey themed logos and third-rate Haida-styled orca.

Why does the logo need a hockey theme? Are you confused as to the sport your watching or jersey you're buying without it? Look around the league and you'll find logos with a hockey reference are in the minority. We all know what sport.

I love the Orca because it's about where the team plays. It wouldn't work for any other team in the league. Change the colors of the stick in rink and Montreal could use it. Change the color again and add flames across the top and Calgary could use it. It's bland and rather generic in that way. I'm not opposed to a JC logo as long as it's not that stupid cartoon running lumberjack that looks like it belongs on a peewee jersey.

9 hours ago, Baggins said:

Why does the logo need a hockey theme? Are you confused as to the sport your watching or jersey you're buying without it? Look around the league and you'll find logos with a hockey reference are in the minority. We all know what sport.

I love the Orca because it's about where the team plays. It wouldn't work for any other team in the league. Change the colors of the stick in rink and Montreal could use it. Change the color again and add flames across the top and Calgary could use it. It's bland and rather generic in that way. I'm not opposed to a JC logo as long as it's not that stupid cartoon running lumberjack that looks like it belongs on a peewee jersey.

The Islanders classic crest has a hockey stick. The Penguins' Skating Penguin has a hockey stick. Both iconic crests. Most Major League Baseball teams have a baseball in their logos plus our very own Vancouver Canadians. As for Montreal and Calgary, the Canadiens already have the CH and the Flames have the Flaming C. The Stick In Rink C in Vancouver, BC colours belongs to the Canucks. By the way, Johnny Canuck is skating, not running. It's very hard to run around with skates on. Just ask those Canuck players who were coached by Bill LaForge.

The last time I saw an orca in Vancouver was at the Vancouver Aquarium. Not leaping in and out of False Creek and English Bay. Vancouver is known for its beautiful natural scenery a lot more than Native artwork. And our natural scenery is blue surrounding waters, green parks and forests and white snow on the mountains - the colours of the timeless Stick In Rink.

Good day Mr. Baggins.

16 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

As for Montreal and Calgary, the Canadiens already have the CH and the Flames have the Flaming C.

Really? I wasn't aware! Thanks for clearing up they already having logos.....

27 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

The last time I saw an orca in Vancouver was at the Vancouver Aquarium. Not leaping in and out of False Creek and English Bay.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4303817/killer-whales-swim-burrard-inlet/

killerwhale3.thumb.jpg.9c4bffc29b5e9fc68a7b5ff1aeba9ce8.jpg

5 hours ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

If orcas were regularly seen in Vancouver waters, this wouldn't be news. They are seen far more regularly in Seattle waters.

That last one was June. Last March....

https://globalnews.ca/video/4106191/woman-spots-pod-of-orcas-in-burrard-inlet

Last December...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=569486

If you're old enough to remember Orca's at the aquarium you likely know the relationship of the Orca with Vancouver. There's no point playing dumb on the subject Tiger. There's nine whale watching tour companies in Vancouver. I wonder why.....

1 hour ago, Baggins said:

That last one was June. Last March....

https://globalnews.ca/video/4106191/woman-spots-pod-of-orcas-in-burrard-inlet

Last December...

https://www.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=569486

If you're old enough to remember Orca's at the aquarium you likely know the relationship of the Orca with Vancouver. There's no point playing dumb on the subject Tiger. There's nine whale watching tour companies in Vancouver. I wonder why.....

so when i'm watching boesser score i need to get all fuzzy about the tourism industry?

someone in a canuck uni gets excited and points to their orca logo with emphasis and the other guy in the other team's uni says to himself, 'i hate that you have orcas swimming in the bay.' and then the first guy says 'not only that . . . there's nine whale watching tour companies in vancouver! look it up, there was one spotted last december! and one before that in march!'

Ok, so with all this talk of different logos and jerseys, I have been messing with an idea I had last year.   Yeah, yeah, I know... not another logo!  This is for fun, and with the Sedins retiring, and all the youth coming up this year or next why not consider a new look for the team?   Some people have suggested a V logo, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I personally still like the orca.  I also liked the skate. I'm not too thrilled with the cartoony Johnny Canuck (ok concept, but needs to be much more serious looking), and the stick in rink, though simple and iconic, just doesn't do it for me.  So, I decided to keep the whale theme, as yes, I think Orcas are relevant to the Vancouver area.... and incorporated it into a V for Vancouver. 

The original version I posted a long time ago in a very long thread about logos was much more pointy and not as bold.  It was rated as the #1 logo concept by this web site (which surprised me, as I just stumbled on that article a week or so ago and had no idea). They suggested the logo still needed some refinement, but had potential, so with a bit of work, here is what I came up with:

V-Jersey.png.74eaf27d9e07ae303f653e9aa8e5473e.png

I've kept the Canuck blue and green in general.... and the uniform I used here is the current white jersey, just with my logo in place of the whale and "Vancouver" wording.  I darkened the colours a bit too, as I think it looks more dynamic that way.

Anyways, that's it.  Simple, classic and could be a good logo for a long time.  Yes, I know, it is similar to the Hartford Whalers old logo, but it was a good logo and why not get inspiration from it?  Its a concept, so the logo will probably still need some tweaking - maybe more detail in the tail - but its a start.  Thoughts?

V-Jersey2.png.d36be0f710da9b5e10dd53e9ee72e11c.png

1 hour ago, Agoork said:

Ok, so with all this talk of different logos and jerseys, I have been messing with an idea I had last year.   Yeah, yeah, I know... not another logo!  This is for fun, and with the Sedins retiring, and all the youth coming up this year or next why not consider a new look for the team?   Some people have suggested a V logo, so I thought I would give it a shot.

I personally still like the orca.  I also liked the skate. I'm not too thrilled with the cartoony Johnny Canuck (ok concept, but needs to be much more serious looking), and the stick in rink, though simple and iconic, just doesn't do it for me.  So, I decided to keep the whale theme, as yes, I think Orcas are relevant to the Vancouver area.... and incorporated it into a V for Vancouver. 

The original version I posted a long time ago in a very long thread about logos was much more pointy and not as bold.  It was rated as the #1 logo concept by this web site (which surprised me, as I just stumbled on that article a week or so ago and had no idea). They suggested the logo still needed some refinement, but had potential, so with a bit of work, here is what I came up with:

I've kept the Canuck blue and green in general.... and the uniform I used here is the current white jersey, just with my logo in place of the whale and "Vancouver" wording.  I darkened the colours a bit too, as I think it looks more dynamic that way.

Anyways, that's it.  Simple, classic and could be a good logo for a long time.  Yes, I know, it is similar to the Hartford Whalers old logo, but it was a good logo and why not get inspiration from it?  Its a concept, so the logo will probably still need some tweaking - maybe more detail in the tail - but its a start.  Thoughts?

Vancouver Whalers and have this song as the game intro:

2 hours ago, Agoork said:

Hell of a lot better than our current whale logo IMO (not a fan of the current constipated whale look if we're sticking with whales). Good work.

But yes it could use some tweaking...maybe a bit more 'edge' to it.

I 'quick and dirtied' a concept with a 'V' for a jersey thread a couple years ago as well. Here's what I cam up with for poops and chuckles:

se58qw.jpg

214s9ys.jpg

I like the blue and green colour scheme, but I'm not a fan of the "VANCOUVER" across the chest and the cartoony whale (or the lame stick in rink that looks like a child came up with). It would be like a major league baseball team having a baseball bat and ball as their logo (BORING!) If they're going with the blue/green colours, the logo should be more aggressive and mean.

My favourite for a 3rd jersey is the black "Flying V". Very sharp IMO, and a bit nasty looking.

7 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I like the blue and green colour scheme, but I'm not a fan of the "VANCOUVER" across the chest and the cartoony whale (or the lame stick in rink that looks like a child came up with). It would be like a major league baseball team having a baseball bat and ball as their logo (BORING!) If they're going with the blue/green colours, the logo should be more aggressive and mean.

My favourite for a 3rd jersey is the black "Flying V". Very sharp IMO, and a bit nasty looking.

Image result for cam neely canucks

you mean this one?

2 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

lol i don't you get it

I know these aren't popular, maybe considered one of the worst ever, but I like them. Very original (maybe for a reason? lol) Now, the yellow jerseys were a whole different thing. Those were awful.  

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

I know these aren't popular, maybe considered one of the worst ever, but I like them. Very original (maybe for a reason? lol) Now, the yellow jerseys were a whole different thing. Those were awful.  

you mentioned mean and nasty look, look at which player is wearing it

I voted for the skate logo for the 50 year anniversary jersey, but only because I like the novelty of it... and Bure steez, of course.

I personally quite like the orca logo, I just don't get it with our current colour scheme. The late-90s revamp / Naslund era was a poor rendition only because of the jersey style and the striping, but I much prefer the colourized orca with light blue ice and grey cracks/outline, the red teeth outlines, white eyes, blue fin part, etc.

The current logo just isn't meant to be done in such few colours... 

image.thumb.png.c6aa1c228a16cb17350206d483b94f5f.png

Maybe we could try the navy, maroon, silver thing again but with a more modern cut and better stripes?

Anybody remember Luongo's first year in Van? He rocked those colours pretty good.

He looked a little confused here, though... 

image.png.f39f8f436542a5aa47ceeee99c0203dd.png

Archived