The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Rumour] Maple Leafs shopping Calvin Pickard

With a potential logjam in the Toronto Maple Leafs' crease, the club is reportedly shopping Calvin Pickard, according to James Mirtle of The Athletic.

Pickard is set to battle Curtis McElhinney and Garret Sparks for the backup role this season.

McElhinney has served as Frederik Andersen's second in command for the last season and a half and has fared admirably, posting a 17-12-1 record, a .925 save percentage, and a 2.45 goals-against average in 32 games.

Meanwhile, Sparks is coming off a stellar season in the American Hockey League where he was awarded the Aldege "Baz" Bastien Memorial Award as the league's most outstanding goaltender. He also led the Marlies to a Calder Cup championship.

Pickard also had a solid year in the AHL, going 21-9-1 with a .918 save percentage and a 2.31 goals-against average. The 26-year-old does have NHL experience, largely spent with the Colorado Avalanche, and holds a career record of 28-44-7 in 87 games.

https://www.thescore.com/nhl/news/1588263/report-maple-leafs-offering-pickard-in-trade-talks

28 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If any team wants him, they can just claim him off waivers in 5-6 weeks time.

Quite often, teams want the player to have passed through waivers before they will do a trade. No point in claiming Pickard if you have to subject him to waivers to play on your AHL team. ( like Pittsburgh wanting Pedan, but not if they had to waive him. ) Once he is 'waiver free', he is worth a late pick.

He another victim of Toronto like Corrado? Pickard had really solid numbers with Colorado as their backup. His starter numbers with them weren't terrible either, I mean they are pretty gross but that team was hot garbage that season. If it weren't for Demko being close and Nilsson being here I'd be interested in Pickard. 

Ottawa could maybe take a flyer on him if they move Anderson, which they are in no rush to do. Keep him the season, hope he steals you enough games that Colorado doesn't get Hughes. Trade him in the offseason.

How is Philly's goalie situation? They usually are good for getting a ton of goalies all the time. 

1 minute ago, N7Nucks said:

He another victim of Toronto like Corrado? Pickard had really solid numbers with Colorado as their backup. His starter numbers with them weren't terrible either, I mean they are pretty gross but that team was hot garbage that season. If it weren't for Demko being close and Nilsson being here I'd be interested in Pickard. 

Ottawa could maybe take a flyer on him if they move Anderson, which they are in no rush to do. Keep him the season, hope he steals you enough games that Colorado doesn't get Hughes. Trade him in the offseason.

How is Philly's goalie situation? They usually are good for getting a ton of goalies all the time. 

I don’t tralky think Corrado is a victim.  He’s just not a legit NHL player 

1 hour ago, Hutton Wink said:

Moving an AHL goalie for D help has been the rumoured "big plan".  TSN will front-page "TB said to be dangling Hedman".

you are on to something

ottawa needs a goalie (anderson wants out)

and are rumoured to be wanting to move karlsson

it's serendipitous

deal could be done by the end of the day ?  :P

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Leafs are going to do nothing with Andersen in net.  He is a big game no show.  Over rated to the extreme by the circus handlers in the center of the universe.

The guy stood on his head and is THE only reason their last series went 7 games. They had no business winning 3 games against the Bruins.

6 hours ago, Alflives said:

What’s a goalie, with this kind of history, worth in trade?  Seems like he’s an AHL kind of player.

Depends which media guy you ask. Remember when TSN was pumping James Reimer for Team Canada for the Sochi Olympics. Yeeaahaa. Let the pump begin. 

5 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Im banking on NIllson the way I banked on him last season. He was amazing to start the season. I think he has that in him, he just needs to find the consistency he had with Sweden.

I would hold the amazing part he's a fine backup Ill take him over Pickard 8 days a week. Though Nilly isn't a "big save" goalie. He's great positionally and when your team is winning he will get set cut the angles and stop the pucks. When your team isn't and the opposition has him moving side to side he looses the net and doesn't seem to be reactive enough to be a starter. 

Archived