The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Why Do Canadian Teams

TheNewGM

SUCK?!?

/Rant on

I realize this post could be viewed negatively, but I have to vent my irritation with todays NHL situation in Canada.

Stop over paying older free agents and washed up superstars past their prime.

Its time our country's GMs LEARN TO BUILD A WINNER!@ how many years has Canada been waiting for Lord Stanley? ( thanks Toronto only bright spot for Canada's NHL )

Maybe The Canucks owners want to be mediocre forever, but Im pretty sick of it. Imagine if we traded Who we traded BEFORE they lost most of their value ?>

So heres a hot tip for the Canadian GMs.. 

REBUILD YOUR F**KING TEAM PROPERLY BY TRADING YOUR VETERAN VALUABLE ASSETS FOR VALUE FUTURE PROSPECT/PICK ASSETS.. ( ottawa ) - dump Karlson for futures,.

Remember when TO traded Kessel ?  THATS A GOOD MOVE! GOOD JOB TORONTO. And look where they are now.

Bad contracts will ruin your team for years.. too many overpaid players now who think they are superstars but are not. Carry Price 10mill? Lunquist 9 mil?  WTF is going on. Great Goalies but not worth that cap hit on a losing team... NAIL IN THE COFFIN. how many Goals can these guys score? none? a Goalie should never be paid over 6 mil unless they are the absolute best in the world. I cant name any who are at this point. Even Pekka Rinne $&!#e the bed last year considered one of the best...

Just trade these over piad players for draft picks. Unless you have a solid team why over pay players to stay mediocre and not even make the playoffs anyway?

JFC.,

NO SURPRISE THE TWO TEAMS THAT HAVE SUCKED FOR A WHILE ARE NOW THE MOST EXCITING NEW TEAMS COMING UP.. Hello Buffulo ( gross ) Edmonton is ruined with terrible contracts already. Even McJesus cant fix them now.

When will Canada have a contending team to watch ?

/rant off

The only definitively “bad” teams in Canada are Ottawa, Montreal and Vancouver. Toronto and Winnipeg are great. Edmonton and Calgary should be fighting for playoff spots. Calgary made some really solid moves this offseason. Edmonton has some good young guys and who knows if last year was the off year or if they overachieved the year before.

Canada has 7/32 teams now with Seattle joining the mix.

This means 1 more spot outside of the playoffs too.

And only one team wins it, every year.

Winnipeg far from sucks.  THN has them as consensus Stanley Cup Champs in 2019.  Vancouver had its run. The Oilers, OK, they suck.  The Flames played the chasing the playoffs game for too many years and are now just starting to rebound.  Ottawa was 1 goal from the finals 2 years ago.  Then Canadiens are in trouble, I have to say. But the tables will turn.  The league is old, and there have always been peaks and valleys.

Then there is the Canadian dollar difference.  Some, not all, UFA's are less likely to sign where they have to pay more tax.  Canadians are taxed to death.  Some more than others.  When you are talking contracts worth tens of millions of dollars, a few percent can be.. millions of dollars.

Then there is a media scrutiny.  Would you want to make 7 million in a market where you can walk around without anyone knowing who you are?  Or would you want to play in a market where the unruly pitchfork and torchers get warmed up after a meaningless November blowout?

In the end, there is 30 losers every season, and soon to be 31.  Keep this in mind.  Its getting harder and harder for a Canadian team to win.

Give it a couple years. TO and WNP are good teams right now and Calgary is a bubble team. The rest are kind of crap, but that won't keep forever. EDM will be better next year with Puljujarvi and Yamamoto likely taking another step forward and helping EDM out with their winger problem quite abit. I expect we'll only be a bottom dweller for another year or two before we're a playoff team again.

Ottawa and Montreal I don't see a lot of hope for in the forseeable future.

C'mon, did you watch the finals in 2011?  Bush league officiating has more to do with Canada's drought than poor management.  And nothing suspicious about Dallas, Carolina, Anaheim and Tampa Bay winning SC cups in succession during an era when the league as a whole was struggling with attendance.  Dallas might of been the worst, that wasn't a goal as per the rules at the time(foot in crease).  Yet everyone praises Bettman as some fiscal genius because he generates money for Yankee owners ignoring the fact the NHL hasn't made any ground vs. the other pro sports in North America and locks out every dam CBA.

Why is everyone propping up the leafs? They have yet to win a playoff series, they have failed to seriously address their absolute biggest need (defense), and are going to be in contract hell very soon (already are, they cant sign Willy Nylander).

1 minute ago, ReggieBush said:

Why is everyone propping up the leafs? They have yet to win a playoff series, they have failed to seriously address their absolute biggest need (defense), and are going to be in contract hell very soon (already are, they cant sign Willy Nylander).

Damn right.  Track wreck D.  Grampa on 1st line wing.  And a goalie that disappears for stretches.  Over rated.

my 2 cents (Canadian obvs)

good attendance if the team is decent. look at Nucks. it only falls off if they are terrible. which is why ownership is "win now. or at least tread water with overpaid vets"

they make $$ even if they never win. so the incentive to bottom out and rebuild properly is not there. Edmonton and TO lucked out with McJesus and Matthews

The Phil Kessel trade was a good one? The return was Spaling, Kapanen, Harrington, 1st and 3rd. Spaling is no longer in the NHL, Kapanen is only praised by Toronto to be an excellent player but hasn't amounted to much, and Harrington is getting spot time in Columbus now. The 1st eventually got them Andersen which was a decent return as they needed a goalie badly, but that first was Comtois, so we will see how that pans out. The 3rd was JD Greenway (not to be confused with Jordan Greenway). Toronto had also given up a 2nd as part of the deal as well. I fail to see how that was a good return, while of course Kessel has gone on to win 2 Stanley Cups.

Don't forget what Toronto gave up to get Kessel in the first place.

So while Toronto is in a better situation after a decade of being terrible, I don't think that trade exemplifies the point that is being made here.

15 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Arizona, Buffalo, Carolina, NYI...those teams suck too

One of those 4 teams is headed in the right direction finally and isn't in cap hell.  It's wonderful what a good GM can do.  I hope he keeps it going.

Although with Buffalo's sports luck, the new goalie will suck this year or be good and will end up getting injured for the year early after a freak accident in net.

Archived