The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Finding Joe Murphy? Ex-Detroit Red Wings No. 1 overall pick reportedly homeless

20 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The bolded --> dont' use any common sense here pal!!  :ph34r:

We live in a world where there is no longer any personal accountability. Some idiot in the States spills hot coffee on herself and gets 20 million in a lawsuit. Trudeau gives a terrorist 10.5 million and lets our veterans rot. Constant whining from people thinking the world owes them something. 

Murphy earned more than 15 million in his career and somehow he blew it all.  Poor guy. 

I will save my limited amount of sympathy for people who worked hard all their lives and lost their homes or pension because of things outside of their control. Not some rich dude who pissed it away. 

Regarding the "idiot" who poured hot coffee on herself. Where do you get this $20,000,000 figure from?

Facts, a 79 year old woman ordered a coffee from the drive through window. She was a passenger in the vehicle. The car then parked so she could add cream and sugar. While removing the lid the contents spilled on her lap resulting in 3rd degree burns to her thighs, backside and groin. She was hospitalized for 8 days during which she lost 20% of her body weight and ended up at 83 pounds.

Her medical and other expenses totaled $18,000. She asked McDonalds for $20,000. Mickey D's offered $800 and told her to go pound sand. She then hired a lawyer and sought $90,000. Mickey D's refused. Mickey D's then refused a pre trial mediated settlement of $225,000.

Ironically, these facts are often misreported or altogether omitted by those usually yelling "fake news" at everything.

At trial it was found that McDonalds serves coffee at 82-88 degrees Celsius. Liquid at that temperature can cause 3rd degree burns in 2-7 seconds. Most of their competitors served coffee at much lower temperatures. The jury ruled that Mickey D's was 80% liable and the woman 20% liable. The jury awarded her $2.9 million. The judge reduced the award to $640,000. It was ultimately settled for less than $600,000.

As for Joe Murphy. It is uncertain whether he is penniless. There is only evidence that he is mentally unwell. And genuine belief that his mental problems stem from concussions he sustained in the NHL. Especially a hit he took from Shawn Burr. No evidence he's a rich guy "who pissed it all away".

Your lack of empathy and jumping to conclusions are typical in society these days. While they are commonplace they are no less disturbing.

13 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Regarding the "idiot" who poured hot coffee on herself. Where do you get this $20,000,000 figure from?

Facts, a 79 year old woman ordered a coffee from the drive through window. She was a passenger in the vehicle. The car then parked so she could add cream and sugar. While removing the lid the contents spilled on her lap resulting in 3rd degree burns to her thighs, backside and groin. She was hospitalized for 8 days during which she lost 20% of her body weight and ended up at 83 pounds.

Her medical and other expenses totaled $18,000. She asked McDonalds for $20,000. Mickey D's offered $800 and told her to go pound sand. She then hired a lawyer and sought $90,000. Mickey D's refused. Mickey D's then refused a pre trial mediated settlement of $225,000.

Ironically, these facts are often misreported or altogether omitted by those usually yelling "fake news" at everything.

At trial it was found that McDonalds serves coffee at 82-88 degrees Celsius. Liquid at that temperature can cause 3rd degree burns in 2-7 seconds. Most of their competitors served coffee at much lower temperatures. The jury ruled that Mickey D's was 80% liable and the woman 20% liable. The jury awarded her $2.9 million. The judge reduced the award to $640,000. It was ultimately settled for less than $600,000.

As for Joe Murphy. It is uncertain whether he is penniless. There is only evidence that he is mentally unwell. And genuine belief that his mental problems stem from concussions he sustained in the NHL. Especially a hit he took from Shawn Burr. No evidence he's a rich guy "who pissed it all away".

Your lack of empathy and jumping to conclusions are typical in society these days. While they are commonplace they are no less disturbing.

So this person spills coffee on themselves and then wants someone else to give them money? Yes you summed it up....no personal responsibility.

That old bag did it to herself and she sues.....what a joke.

Edit: she was 79....must have been her first coffee so she did not know it was hot!!?? The old bag should not have gotten a dime for spilling coffee on herself.

No...I have zero empathy for idiots like that or rich people that blow all their money.

I have empathy for real victims in life. Those innocents that get assaulted or worse by d bags that should not even be alive. But I have no empathy for idiots like the woman you talk about that then want society to pay for their own stupidity. There is absolutely no reason McDs should have had to pay a cent for her idiocy.

1 minute ago, Kanukfanatic said:

So this person spills coffee on themselves and then wants someone else to give them money? Yes you summed it up....no personal responsibility.

As to your first question. Yes, they do.

Mickey D's was clearly negligent. They served a product that was unnecessarily dangerous. Without adequate warnings.

As for your "no personal responsibility" shtick. Did you not read the post before responding? The woman was found 20% liable. That's her personal responsibility.

You referring to her as an "old bag". That's the real joke.

3 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

Mickey D's was clearly negligent. They served a product that was unnecessarily dangerous. Without adequate warnings.

As for your "no personal responsibility" shtick. Did you not read the post before responding? The woman was found 20% liable. That's her personal responsibility.

No. The real joke are people that think companies need to warn people coffee is hot or that water is wet. And that companies need to give people money for being morons like that old bag. 

McDs was negligent for having coffee that is hot? Yeah ok lol.

Edit: anyway...enough about that lady and hot coffee.

About Murphy, had over $15 million in career winnings. I wish he would have thrown some my way while he blew it all.

7 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No. The real joke are people that think companies need to warn people coffee is hot or that water is wet. And that companies need to give people money for being morons like that old bag. 

About Murphy, had over $15 million in career winnings. I wish he would have thrown some my way while he blew it all.

There's is a difference between hot and scalding. Yes they were negligent. There is no reason coffee needs to be served at a temperature that can cause 3rd degree burns in 2 seconds.

There is a reasonable expectation that your coffee will not be served to you at the temperature of molten lava.

As for Murphy. Once again, there is no evidence he is penniless or blew it all. Only evidence he is mentally infirm.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edit: she was 79....must have been her first coffee so she did not know it was hot!!?? The old bag should not have gotten a dime for spilling coffee on herself.

No...I have zero empathy for idiots like that or rich people that blow all their money.

I have empathy for real victims in life. Those innocents that get assaulted or worse by d bags that should not even be alive. But I have no empathy for idiots like the woman you talk about that then want society to pay for their own stupidity. There is absolutely no reason McDs should have had to pay a cent for her idiocy.

I think you missed the point.  She wasn't asking them for anything but help with her hospital bills.  If this was your grandmother would you feel the same (that's she's a 79 year old idiot that deserved what she got?).  The coffee shouldn't have caused that type of damage, I don't know anyone that's spilt coffee on themselves and suffered 3rd degree burns as a result myself included.  They were negligent and the courts raised the stakes given both the seriousness nature of the injury and how little responsibility McDonalds was taking over the incident. $800 for 20k of hospital bills is pretty bad taste, if you understand our legal system (which is similar to theirs) they apply punitive damages to make a statement which they did, and it likely resulted in a lot less lawsuits and injuries because they changed their policies on the temperature of their coffee.

I remember how hot it used to be (back then nobody knew what good coffee tasted like, 7-11 was the bomb only because you could fit half a pot of partially burnt coffe in one cup).  StarBucks and botique shops changed that, and it still doesn't match up to many European coffee shops which would make them taste like, well a burnt cup of McDonalds or 7-11 coffee.  Things have changed, if I drank the coffee they serve now thirty years ago, my friends and I would have gone every day as hardly anyone could touch the same quality

as McDonalds does now...pretty scary isn't it!

As for Murphy maybe one day we will know how and where he spent his earnings, he's one of a very select few that actually make the NHL and establish themselves where as there are a pile of guys that move on and play in lesser leagues for one tenth the earnings and don't stop until they are done.  No matter what  he had that, something is obviously not right, but you can't take that accomplishment away from him.  

51 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

There's is a difference between hot and scalding. Yes they were negligent. There is no reason coffee needs to be served at a temperature that can cause 3rd degree burns in 2 seconds.

There is a reasonable expectation that your coffee will not be served to you at the temperature of molten lava.

As for Murphy. Once again, there is no evidence he is penniless or blew it all. Only evidence he is mentally infirm.

Haha...are you lawyer? If not you have at least taken a law class using those terms.  Agree to disagree. I believe in personal responsibility.  I won't post about this anymore in the murphy thread.

What do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 100?   Your Honor
What do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 50?   Senator

What’s a foot long, transparent and lies in the gutter. A lawyer once the crap’s been kicked out of him.

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Isn’t coffee supposed to be served hot?  I could see it becoming McDonald’s responsibility if the lid was not properly secured.  But, even then it’s coffee.  The consumer should double check the lid.  

As for Joe Murphy, the guy has brain trauma.  He’s not able to make good choices, and appears to have spent all his money because of that.  It’s too bad he didn’t have someone to watch out for his best interest, like a guardian or something.  

anybody familiar with coffee to go ,and the flaws with the various lids, which I am , I wont take a mcdonalds coffee in my car because the lid with its cut out flap thats meant to open and snap in an open/closed manner  , which never works and is flimsy , 7/11 has it figured out , all that said @Kanukfanatic stop claiming you have empathy ….in the same paragraph your calling an old lady a moron and an idiot?  your coming off like some kind self entitled disrespectful punk. 

21 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Haha...are you lawyer? If not you have at least taken a law class using those terms.  Agree to disagree. I believe in personal responsibility.  I won't post about this anymore in the murphy thread.

What do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 100?   Your Honor
What do you call a lawyer with an IQ of 50?   Senator

What’s a foot long, transparent and lies in the gutter. A lawyer once the crap’s been kicked out of him.

No, not a lawyer. The last law class I took was in grade 11. The term "reasonable expectation" isn't specifically a legal term. It's just plain old everyday English.

You never did answer why you claimed she got $20,000,000 for her injuries.

1 hour ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Aaaaand there it is. Murphy did not have any career "winnings". He had career earnings. He earned his money he did not win it.

Your feelings on both Murphy and coffee lady say the same thing. You're jealous of both of them.

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves." .....William Penn

15 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

No, not a lawyer. The last law class I took was in grade 11. The term "reasonable expectation" isn't specifically a legal term. It's just plain old everyday English.

You never did answer why you claimed she got $20,000,000 for her injuries.

Aaaaand there it is. Murphy did not have any career "winnings". He had career earnings. He earned his money he did not win it.

Your feelings on both Murphy and coffee lady say the same thing. You're jealous of both of them.

"The jealous are troublesome to others, but a torment to themselves." .....William Penn

Oops. My mistake...earnings.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Yeah...we can all quote.

Ok, coffee aside, here’s my take on it. Is it sad? Yes. Is it getting attention because he was rich and somewhat famous? Yes.

i could go on for hours about my injuries, demons and poor decisions based on unclear thinking, disabilities with family members etc. But it won’t be publicized because I’m unknown, and perhaps I am not of public interest. 

We have thousands of homeless across Canada that have psychological issues, including hundreds of veterans, that are ignored by the general public. We recognize the issue for most part, but still ignore it for personal reasons. No judgement here, I do what I can, but it is still so much less than I could.

We all have are issues/problems, many of of us have wasted/lost money, and many of us will continue on such a path.

Joe Murphy’s family needs to help him first, if he will accept that help. They need to put aside all judgement of life accomplishments, earnings or morality. Help some one you love (or are supposed to love).

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Oops. My mistake...earnings.

We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. Benjamin Franklin

Yeah...we can all quote.

you also made a mistake by blaming Trudeau for getting out of a lawsuit by settling a case that may well have cost tens of millions more in court and settlement costs.

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

you also made a mistake by blaming Trudeau for getting out of a lawsuit by settling a case that may well have cost tens of millions more in court and settlement costs.

No, I made no mistake with trudeau and him paying off a terrorist.

trudeau paid off a terrorist...he gave an enemy of this country 10.5 million dollars after that terrorist killed soldiers.

Sickening. Yet he lets our soldiers and veterans rot.  That disgusting little worm is the leader of Canada? Shameful.

I guess you never fought for this country eh?

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

No, I made no mistake with trudeau and him paying off a terrorist.

trudeau paid off a terrorist...he gave an enemy of this country 10.5 million dollars after that terrorist killed soldiers.

Sickening. Yet he lets our soldiers and veterans rot.  That disgusting little worm is the leader of Canada? Shameful.

I guess you never fought for this country eh?

Trudeau may be a crap PM but the Khadr issue was created by previous governments. Anyone with basic knowledge of laws knows that Khadr could have won more after a lawsuit. 

All you've proven in this thread is you are ignorant as hell and have zero empathy. 

14 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

You post quite a bit in that thread, don't you Rob?

Try occasionally to engage but typically just leave again for a week or three as no one there wants to discuss the issues, largely just want to bash Trump.   It gets old but I still find a few who post there seemingly Russian bots or similar....too much like the Facebook bots people talk about as they cannot possibly be that relentlessly whiny without being some form of an algorithm.

Archived