The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[PTO] Emerson Etem with Kings

good luck to him hope it works out  in his hometown ..again ,could be win win for him and an  aging team although he's no spring chicken either ,I liked him he seemed to take his fitness pretty seriously ,just seems like an incomplete pkg for what ever reason.

I liked Etem and was routing for him. 7 goals in 39 games for Vancouver and top 3 in hits per game if I remember correctly. Thought he had potential to be a physical 15 who could move between the bottom 3 lines. 

Only 26 games played over the last two years and didn't perform well. Loooong shot. 

Shows how important off-season conditioning can be. His wife had issues with her pregnancy and Etem didn't work out as much as he needed to. His camp was less than ideal and we cut him loose. Competition is fierce when you're not a top guy.

• 1 month later...
On 8/22/2018 at 5:33 PM, RWMc1 said:

Shows how important off-season conditioning can be. His wife had issues with her pregnancy and Etem didn't work out as much as he needed to. His camp was less than ideal and we cut him loose. Competition is fierce when you're not a top guy.

yeah - he was a helluva prospect.  Good speed, good size, lots of scoring talent, and a good, young two way player.   A pretty complete game for a young guy - but everyone has a life outside of sport and things don't always line up.  His window seemed to be right in the time frame you're describing (somewhat like, although different in content, to what happened to Linden Vey).  

So many talented players internationally nowadays that not only young waiver bubble players are losing careers - guys in their early 30s are also seem to be falling out of the game / shortened careers, with more frequency.

8 hours ago, oldnews said:

yeah - he was a helluva prospect.  Good speed, good size, lots of scoring talent, and a good, young two way player.   A pretty complete game for a young guy - but everyone has a life outside of sport and things don't always line up.  His window seemed to be right in the time frame you're describing (somewhat like, although different in content, to what happened to Linden Vey).  

So many talented players internationally nowadays that not only young waiver bubble players are losing careers - guys in their early 30s are also seem to be falling out of the game / shortened careers, with more frequency.

It sure is a different environment for the modern player. I know we all like to think of how they have it made in the shade. We would all trade careers in a heartbeat. Fact is for a large percentage of players it's a stressful year to year, contract to contract existence. Enormous pressure to perform for these players.

Archived