The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

MP Maxime Bernier quits Conservatives, plans to start new party

thejazz97

Quebec MP Maxime Bernier is leaving the Conservatives and says he plans to start his own party.

Bernier, who represents the riding of Beauce, made the announcement Thursday morning in Ottawa as the party's policy convention kicks off in Halifax.

"I have come to realize over the past year that this party is too intellectually and morally corrupt to be reformed," he said,  on the heels of controversial tweets he posted regarding diversity.

"I know for a fact that many in the caucus privately oppose supply management, but buying votes in a few key ridings is more important than defending the interests of Canadians."

Bernier said his goal is to head a party that runs candidates in Canada's 338 ridings.

"We'll have a lot of Canadians and that new party will win the next election.

Bernier's recent tweets have been labelled xenophobic by some commentators, while others view them as the start of a much-needed debate over Canadian identity and the role of immigration.

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer will make his own statement this afternoon from Halifax.

Leading up to Bernier's announcement some prominent Conservatives gathered around Scheer.

Ontario Premier Doug Ford tweeted support for the leader, while Kory Teneycke, the former director of communications for Stephen Harper and a Bernier supporter in the leadership race, penned an opinion article for the Toronto Sun backing Scheer for prime minister.

Earlier this summer, Bernier was banished from the Tory front bench and stripped of his innovation critic title.

At the time, a Conservative MP who spoke to CBC News on the condition he not be identified said Bernier was removed because of his decision to post a chapter from his book on his website. The MP wrote that Scheer's victory as party leader was owed to "fake Conservatives" who only joined the party to defend supply management in the dairy industry. 

Peter d'Entremont, who sits on the board of directors of the Libertarian Party of Canada, said it tried to court Bernier to leave the Conservative Party and join its cause, but he wasn't interested.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/bernier-statement-conserative-1.4795894

Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer held a news conference Thursday to respond to Maxime Bernier’s decision to leave the party. Here’s a transcript of his opening statement:

Over the last couple days, I have made it clear that Maxime could decide to work with us to help defeat Justin Trudeau or to put himself first. He’s made his decision. Maxime has been afforded every opportunity to be a helpful and a contributing member of the Conservative team.

However, since losing the leadership, Maxime has repeatedly demonstrated he is more interested in advancing his personal profile than advancing Conservative principles. He has decided that he is more important than his Conservative colleagues and indeed, the Conservative Party.

READ: Why Maxime Bernier is leaving the Conservative Party

He has traded an opportunity to influence policy in government for his own personal ambition. During his time in the Conservative caucus, not once did Maxime come to me or any member of our team with ideas about the issues he’s now raising. As shadow minister for innovation, he was given every opportunity to come to the table with his ideas and apply them to policy. He never did.

In retrospect, it is clear that Maxime made this decision a long time ago. Under my leadership, Conservatives have consistently and unequivocally stood up for balanced budgets and low taxes, for secure borders and planned and lawful immigration, for strong Canadian identity and for freer trade. It is unfortunate that Maxime, supposedly a strong proponent of these values, has chosen to abandon our fight to have them represented in government.

Canadians are looking to us for leadership, to replace Justin Trudeau’s entitled and out-of-touch Liberal government with a government that actually puts people first. We will continue our work. We have an amazing, united, principled team, and we are squarely focused with what we have to do in the next year.

As my speech tomorrow will make clear and as we will show throughout this weekend, Conservatives are strong and ready to meet the challenge of governing this great country.

Thank you.

https://www.macleans.ca/opinion/andrew-scheer-needs-to-tell-maxime-bernier-put-up-shut-up-or-get-out/

Scheer's response.

Blame Brian Mulrooney. The party got wiped out, and split into multiple factions like Bloc, Reform.

Now they want to split the right again. I think most of the political parties are corrupt and full of lies.

Left or Right.

We need a party of balance. Keeping our social net like medical care, EI, etc. Try to allow companies to develop and grow. Help out the farmer and small businesses not just the mega corporations. Develop a good corporate citizen. Encourage, new trades, new markets, new products. Stop just trying to sell off our resources to whomever comes along.

Preserve our environment, have a military that can handle crises, or natural disasters. Give our police and courts the tools they need to keep society safe. Stop pollution like Mount Polley, make sure oil companies can handle spills, and not just ignore problems and laugh off petty fines.

Took much to ask huh?

49 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Blame Brian Mulrooney. The party got wiped out, and split into multiple factions like Bloc, Reform.

Now they want to split the right again. I think most of the political parties are corrupt and full of lies.

Left or Right.

We need a party of balance. Keeping our social net like medical care, EI, etc. Try to allow companies to develop and grow. Help out the farmer and small businesses not just the mega corporations. Develop a good corporate citizen. Encourage, new trades, new markets, new products. Stop just trying to sell off our resources to whomever comes along.

Preserve our environment, have a military that can handle crises, or natural disasters. Give our police and courts the tools they need to keep society safe. Stop pollution like Mount Polley, make sure oil companies can handle spills, and not just ignore problems and laugh off petty fines.

Took much to ask huh?

Yep. Far too much to ask.

You have to have your choice of: religious zealots telling you how to live your life and how, even if you listen, it's still wrong, corrupt hacks giving away whatever to whoever shows up at the door without considering the consequences of any of it, and some pixie faeries promising the sun, the moon and the holy ghost itself, whatever it takes to get seats and thus elected without any real consideration on how the long-term effects of this would be either socially or financially. And they're all lying about most if it anyway.

I absolutely detest it.

And the whole reason for this fracture, Immigration, is the easiest issue to sort out. People think it's complicated, but it isn't.

Think of it like a block party; if you invite a bunch of people for a block party, and everybody brings something, it's a great time.

If nobody shows up with food, drinks, or activities and expects the host to bear the burden, that's no good at all.

If people show up trying to start ****, and nobody tells them to/makes them knock it off and/or **** right off, then that will continue as well and it's a headache for everybody. 

So invite, and encourage those who bring something to the block party (thus, sharing their party goods while incorporating into parts of the existing street party - Or maybe even just helping with setup and takedown, or play some tunes if they can't afford to bring food - so long as they offer "something") and ask those who are not interested in participating in the party (or worse, are more interested in wrecking it) politely, yet firmly, to leave. What needs to happen is a spine must be grown to actually do that last part. I have no problem with legitimate refugees, immigrants who join their communities and the like. But those here to abuse the system and live for free while they get rejected can shove right off.

Total integration and assimilation is the opposite of what makes it good, so interestingly enough I actually don't want that. If everybody just brought burgers to the block party, that'd be kind of dull. Delicious (to me) but dull. However, if people brought their own Burgers, burritos, garam masala, baklava, sushi, tropical fruits, and some interesting musical instruments and you've got a hell of a buffet party going.

Now I want a multicultural block party.

3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

More vote splitting only favours the liberals.

Not necessarily.  Maxine Bernier is to the left of the Conservatives.   His views are more consistent with the Federal Liberals than with most other Conservatives.  For example,  Bernier is in favour of legalization of marijuana and gay marriage when most hard core Conservatives are against these issues.

The only threat to the Conservative Party if there is another right wing party.   So far there is none.  But there was in the 1980's when the Reform Party came along and split the right wing vote.

Since Bernier is on the left side of the Conservatives, I don't see how he can split the right wing vote.   The hard core right wingers will vote for the Conservatives no matter what.

If anything the Federal Liberals should be worried since soft Liberal Voters who don't like Trudeau or Liberal policies may look for another party that is not so socially conservative as the current Tories.  These disaffected Liberals who can't bring themselves to vote for the Tories might do so for a more moderate party.

1 minute ago, DonLever said:

Not necessarily.  Maxine Bernier is to the left of the Conservatives.   His views are more consistent with the Federal Liberals than with most other Conservatives.  For example,  Bernier is in favour of legalization of marijuana and gay marriage when most hard core Conservatives are against these issues.

The only threat to the Conservative Party if there is another right wing party.   So far there is none.  But there was in the 1980's when the Reform Party came along and split the right wing vote.

Since Bernier is on the left side of the Conservatives, I don't see how he can split the right wing vote.   The hard core right wingers will vote for the Conservatives no matter what.

If anything the Federal Liberals should be worried since soft Liberal Voters who don't like Trudeau or Liberal policies may look for another party that is not so socially conservative as the current Tories.  These disaffected Liberals who can't bring themselves to vote for the Tories might do so for a more moderate party.

Bernier's recent tweets give me the impression that he plans to create a party further to the right than the CPC. I hope I am wrong, your impression seems far more preferable. If I am right then this isn't something worth celebrating if you are a liberal. IMO Trudeau doesn't need to split the right to win, and the resulting shift in politics will end up giving us a far worse party in power when Trudeau finally gets voted out.

Archived