The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

CDC Mix Exchange - August

Caboose

Mix Review

1)   Nymano – I wish I could sleep

30 seconds in and I'm already into this song. The guitar is beautiful and works well with the background instrumentals.

Overall, the song builds a nice atmosphere and takes you to another place, even though it's short. Nice opening song. 

I wish I could listen to this song again/10

2)   Emancipator – Minor Cause

Emancipator is really great. Everything about this song might as well be perfection. The looping piano and reoccurring vocal melodies – beautiful.

And when the violin comes in the second half it gets even better.  

Overall just a fantastic song. The blend of piano, strings, vocals on top of the downtempo beat is perfect.

Again, this is the type of song that takes you to a different place and I wanna go back.

NUT/10

3)   Tycho – Source

Honestly never been huge into Tycho for whatever reason. On the first listen I was honestly bored.  I mean, it is pleasant but there’s nothing really drawing me in. The percussion work is technically impressive, but it takes until the end of the song (when the trumpet? comes in) until I’m enjoying it.

:bored:/10 

4)   Still Corners – The Trip

I’ve been quite into both this song and this band in the last while. And I'm going to see them in November!

The instrumental layering in this song is amazing. That looping synth is just sooo good. And then the guitars giving the sweetest melodies.

Tessa’s singing is beautiful and works so well on top of the instrumentation. The “oooh ooh ooooh ooohs” in the chorus are really pretty.

Maybe the best part is that long synth that comes in near the end. 

The song generally gives me a great vibe and takes me on a dreamy ethereal trip. 

So many miles/10

5)   Death Cab for Cutie – Grapevine Fires

I guess this is pretty relevant again, given all the wildfires.

This one didn’t resonate with me as much. But the “Before we all burn” line in the chorus has an amazing harmony. 

Don’t have much to say because I wasn’t super into it like the other songs so far.

JustOk/10

6)   Tracy Chapman – Fast Car

Oh boy we’re onto the classics. This song is like objectively perfect, right?

30 seconds in the tone is already set with a feeling of sadness, longing, and disappointment. She’s the type of singer that absolutely makes you feel every word she sings.

And then there’s the chords which are very pleasing. 

CLASSIC/10

7)   The National – About Today

Ok so if the last one didn’t bring out the tears this one certainly will. Brb grabbing a Kleenex.

I love the National, but Cherry Tree is one of the few albums/EPs I haven't really listened to. Today I found out it has one of their best songs – About Today.

This song is just so melancholic, but also unbelievably magnificent.  

Matt is clearly singing about a fading relationship. His lyrics and singing are especially haunting in this song. The “How close am I to losing you” is emotional to say the least.

The instrumentation in this song is also perfect. The slow violin progression is tremendous and complements the vocals so well.  Also, there’s something about the drums that I also love.  

Chamber pop is easily one of my favourite sub-genres and this is basically as good as it gets.

Legit 10/10

8)   Nick Drake – Day is Done

Another solid folk classic. Definitely a depressing song, but I suppose most of his are. Instrumentation/vocals are beautiful. At this point in the review you just know I’m gonna love that string arrangement.

The lyrics are so poetic and moving. I suppose this is mainly about the passage of time, and how fleeting it is. You can go through life without accomplishing what you set out to do; and that when it’s done, it’s done.

:goat:/10

9)  The Cinematic Orchestra, Patrick Watson – To Build A Home

Yay more chamber pop.

I'm running out of adjectives to describe how much I like these songs. But this is a lovely piano ballad. The singing is also great.

The first half of the song is him singing over a simple piano chord progression. And in the second half it starts building towards a climax, introducing the strings on top of a faster paced piano loop. The blend of instrumentation and vocals in the climax is so satisfying. Great song, and a perfect closer for the mix.

I’m feeling a light-to-decent 9

Overall Mix Review

It’s pretty clear I loved this mix. Hell, it might even be better than mine. I like your taste.

Score: SEND ME ANOTHER MIX

I'll be like everyone else and guess @Alain Vigneault. Only someone of his caliber could like music this good. :P

16 hours ago, Beluga Whale said:

vote otherwise for giving my Joanna a 2. I'm dead.

But at least you liked IDLES. :P You should listen to the rest of that album then; it's stellar.

:lol: her voice is nails on chalk board to me.

I think I've heard of Idles before, but never listened to them. I'll have to check out that album.

Travis Scott ft. Drake - Sicko Mode

Best track off his newest record. The first beat switch bangs. Drake's verse on this is kinda weak lyrically but his flow is nice which makes up for it.

Juice Wrld - Lucid Dreams

Hard for me to like Juice WRLD, mainly because the subject matter on all his songs is the same. Okay track but mainstream as f.

Nicky Jam x J. Balvin - X (EQUIS)

Des

pa

ci

to

Tory Lanez ft. Rich the Kid - tAlk tO Me

Generic trap song with rnb hook #1527.

Cool music video though. Sounds like Rae sremmurd.

Migos ft. Drake - Walk It Talk It

BLOW A SOCKET CHICKEN TERIYAKI, probably the best song off Culture 2. OG Parker has done some amazing work with Migos and this is one of my favourite productions from him.

Childish Gambino - 3005

Radio play me that new 3005. Good vibe song. Not really into it but can appreciate it. Sort of unrelated to this track but is it just me or do some of the songs Glover's been releasing have started to sound to same. Re: Feels like Summer

Tupac - Better Dayz

I don't really know how I can comment on a Tupac song without doing it justice. I mean, it's Tupac. I know he's legendary but his fans are annoying as hell.

XXXTENTACION - LOOK AT ME

Banger. But played out. RIP.

Ariana Grande - God is a woman

Radio hit on her latest album, Sweetener. Great album that can be listened to all the way through with amazing production and feature from Pharell. My favourite song is Successful.

Bazzi ft. Camila Cabello

Generic radio hit. I'm a fan of Camila but god does she sound basic as hell sometimes. Regardless, I could take or leave this song.

Final Rating: 7/10

Wild guess: Lil B

The Strokes - "Oblivius" 2/5
I really didn't like this song. I have a love/hate relationship with the Strokes. This one was too alternative for my liking.

Octavian - "Party Here" 2/5
This sounds just like all the other hip hop songs out now that I hate. It's a particular beat/cadence that just grates me.

Air - "The Vagabond" 3.5/5
Funky song that reminds me of Beck. The prominent horn annoyed me.

Projet Orange - "Them" -/5
Youtube said this video was unavailable.

Chevelle - "Forfeit" 3/5
I like Chevelle but this song is just "meh". Sounds like all their other stuff. Not distinct or special.

Kendrick Lamar - "Sing About Me, I'm Dying of Thirst" 4/5
I'm not a big hip hop fan at all, but I loved this song. Great beat and lyrics.

Massive Attack - "Dissolved Girl" 3.75/5
This song was dark and moody but catchy at the same time. I can dig it.

Nine Inch Nails - "Piggy" 3/5
This one was just ok. I am a casual NIN fan, and like their songs that rock a bit harder.

I'm guessing 112.

Vancouver Sleep Clinic - Closure (feat. Drew Love) 6.5/10

It was really, really nice. Something I'd listen to as I'm going to sleep. Peaceful.

Glass Animals - Black Mambo 7/10

Continues the vibe from before. I like it. Not enough to add it to my phone, but I definitely wouldn't complain if this came on the radio or on the aux cord.

Blackbear - idfc 7/10

I'm liking this, but it's definitely all the same wave as the two songs prior.

Hozier - Arsonist's Lullaby 8/10

I was just introduced to Hozier's stuff a few days ago, so this is great. It's got a bit of a (I wanna say) Beck x Jack White feel to the guitar? But Hozier is excellent and this song is no different.

The Neighbourhood - Wires 8/10

This is pretty good. This genre isn't always my thing, but this is a pretty good song. If I ever need a change up from my regular songs, I know where I'm going.

Korn - Trash 6/10

It's not a bad song. Probably one of the better Korn songs I've heard. I just can't really do Korn. But the guitar solo is pretty baller.

A Perfect Circle - Counting Bodies Like Sheep to the Rhythm of War Drums 7/10

Didn't think I would enjoy it when the song first started. Halfway through, it's still not really my jam, but it's pretty dope in that it's one of the more unique songs I've heard (and I've listened to Russian polka metal songs and Peruvian pan flute songs :P)

Orgy - Fiction 7/10

Has a real 2002-2008 vibe to it, which IMO is the golden age of alt rock. I think that says enough about what I think :P 

Puscifer - Dear Brother 7/10

This is a song I really enjoyed. The guitar was great. The vocals are really good. Not too much I can say about it more.

I think the lesson I've learned today is that I can't judge a book by its cover. I wasn't expecting to like many if any of these songs, but pretty much all of them were a great listen and probably will listen to again. Overall, 7 out of 10.

Guessing @Baer. or @Cramarossa.

Thanks to whoever sent this!

Archived