The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Book: UFOs by Leslie Kean - NY Times Bestseller

Kanukfanatic

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

What if they understand some sort of dimensional travel? ....or something along those lines? where space and time does not have the same effect, something outside our known physics?

One of my favorite things is quantum entanglement, we don't know how that happens. "Spooky action at a distance', how does one particle instantly communicate with its entangled partner regardless of distance?....like any distance!...instantly.

I sometimes wonder if the universe is kinda like that book American Gods in a way, that maybe there are back stage areas where travel and physics is completely different. B)

That's what makes Science Fiction so cool. Smarter people than me figure out the possible (and impossible ;)) ways to get around the problems involved with Interstellar travel.

One of my favorites is a Chinese writer named Cixin Liu. He doesn't try to exceed the speed of light. He just gets very close to it. (Something we're nowhere close to doing) Because of that, earth is involved in a war with aliens spread out over a period of 400 years. Basically, we know their coming in 4 centuries and we know they're far more advanced than us, so we put the best and brightest to the task of coming up with a strategy and technology to help us win. (Spoiler alert: It sort of works)

Unable to travel to earth instantaneously themselves, the aliens have nonetheless figured out a way to "spy" on earth in real time, using Neutrinos.

Another angle that Liu uses, is that the main reason we haven't heard from extra-terrestrial civilizations is that none of them are dumb enough to make themselves known. (Of course, we are dumb enough) The gist is, the cosmos is a "Dark Forest" where civilizations hide from other civilizations who may be more technologically advanced. In this view, the more advanced civilizations take a "Shoot first, ask questions later" strategy. The preferred method of battle being to simply cause the enemy civilization's home star to go Nova...

• Like 3

1 minute ago, RUPERTKBD said:

That's what makes Science Fiction so cool. Smarter people than me figure out the possible (and impossible ;)) ways to get around the problems involved with Interstellar travel.

One of my favorites is a Chinese writer named Cixin Liu. He doesn't try to exceed the speed of light. He just gets very close to it. (Something we're nowhere close to doing) Because of that, earth is involved in a war with aliens spread out over a period of 400 years. Basically, we know their coming in 4 centuries and we know they're far more advanced than us, so we put the best and brightest to the task of coming up with a strategy and technology to help us win. (Spoiler alert: It sort of works)

Unable to travel to earth instantaneously themselves, the aliens have nonetheless figured out a way to "spy" on earth in real time, using Neutrinos.

Another angle that Liu uses, is that the main reason we haven't heard from extra-terrestrial civilizations is that none of them are dumb enough to make themselves known. (Of course, we are dumb enough) The gist is, the cosmos is a "Dark Forest" where civilizations hide from other civilizations who may be more technologically advanced. In this view, the more advanced civilizations take a "Shoot first, ask questions later" strategy. The preferred method of battle being to simply cause the enemy civilization's home star to go Nova...

I need to read him.

Love the idea of spying using neutrinos! so cool.  The idea of NOT being dumb and trying to reach out to aliens we know nothing about make sense too, I think Hawking also said that. Speaking of which, my wife's last bday present to me was a copy of the Golden Record that is on the Voyager craft, haha.

I'll look out for this, thank you. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bishopshodan said:

I need to read him.

Love the idea of spying using neutrinos! so cool.  The idea of NOT being dumb and trying to reach out to aliens we know nothing about make sense too, I think Hawking also said that. Speaking of which, my wife's last bday present to me was a copy of the Golden Record that is on the Voyager craft, haha.

I'll look out for this, thank you. 

https://www.amazon.ca/Remembrance-Earths-Past-Three-Body-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B01N198VU5

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Lancaster said:

Whether aliens exists or not.... you'd assume they would be smart enough to reveal themselves a la Star Trek: First Contact or War of the Worlds.... or they would be advanced enough to not to be detected.  

I would agree. Yet the UFO phenomenon actually exists. 

10 hours ago, peaches5 said:

There is nothing in the skies. We all have HD camera's but funny how all the video's captured are of such poor quality. We aren't alone in the universe but were are definitely alone in our solar system.

If that is true then all those military pilots and commercial pilots saw what? Even the French, Belgium, Chilean, and Brazilian governments now admit there are UFOs. They just cannot explain them.

2 hours ago, bishopshodan said:

Great book! got it a few years back.Very interesting topic that people are taking more and more seriously. Times are changing indeed my friend.

I just found this web page yesterday. Groups a lot of info together nicely...

http://nymag.com/selectall/2018/03/13-reasons-to-believe-aliens-are-real.html

Thanks for the link.  That is an excellent summation of everything that has been going on with respect to the UFO issue.

15 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

What does it say?

In my thirtieth year, in the fourth month on the fifth day, while I was among the exiles by the Kebar River, the heavens were opened and I saw visions of God.

On the fifth of the month—it was the fifth year of the exile of King Jehoiachin— the word of the Lord came to Ezekiel the priest, the son of Buzi, by the Kebar River in the land of the Babylonians.[a] There the hand of the Lord was on him.

I looked, and I saw a windstorm coming out of the north—an immense cloud with flashing lightning and surrounded by brilliant light. The center of the fire looked like glowing metal, and in the fire was what looked like four living creatures. In appearance their form was human, but each of them had four faces and four wings. Their legs were straight; their feet were like those of a calf and gleamed like burnished bronze. Under their wings on their four sides they had human hands. All four of them had faces and wings, and the wings of one touched the wings of another. Each one went straight ahead; they did not turn as they moved.

10 Their faces looked like this: Each of the four had the face of a human being, and on the right side each had the face of a lion, and on the left the face of an ox; each also had the face of an eagle. 11 Such were their faces. They each had two wings spreading out upward, each wing touching that of the creature on either side; and each had two other wings covering its body. 12 Each one went straight ahead. Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, without turning as they went. 13 The appearance of the living creatures was like burning coals of fire or like torches. Fire moved back and forth among the creatures; it was bright, and lightning flashed out of it. 14 The creatures sped back and forth like flashes of lightning.

15 As I looked at the living creatures, I saw a wheel on the ground beside each creature with its four faces. 16 This was the appearance and structure of the wheels: They sparkled like topaz, and all four looked alike. Each appeared to be made like a wheel intersecting a wheel. 17 As they moved, they would go in any one of the four directions the creatures faced; the wheels did not change direction as the creatures went. 18 Their rims were high and awesome, and all four rims were full of eyes all around.

19 When the living creatures moved, the wheels beside them moved; and when the living creatures rose from the ground, the wheels also rose. 20 Wherever the spirit would go, they would go, and the wheels would rise along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels. 21 When the creatures moved, they also moved; when the creatures stood still, they also stood still; and when the creatures rose from the ground, the wheels rose along with them, because the spirit of the living creatures was in the wheels.

22 Spread out above the heads of the living creatures was what looked something like a vault, sparkling like crystal, and awesome. 23 Under the vault their wings were stretched out one toward the other, and each had two wings covering its body. 24 When the creatures moved, I heard the sound of their wings, like the roar of rushing waters, like the voice of the Almighty,[b] like the tumult of an army. When they stood still, they lowered their wings.

25 Then there came a voice from above the vault over their heads as they stood with lowered wings. 26 Above the vault over their heads was what looked like a throne of lapis lazuli, and high above on the throne was a figure like that of a man. 27 I saw that from what appeared to be his waist up he looked like glowing metal, as if full of fire, and that from there down he looked like fire; and brilliant light surrounded him. 28 Like the appearance of a rainbow in the clouds on a rainy day, so was the radiance around him.

This was the appearance of the likeness of the glory of the Lord. When I saw it, I fell facedown, and I heard the voice of one speaking.

Ezekiel 1 New International Version (NIV)

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, RUPERTKBD said:

I agree with @Ronaldoescobar The sheer size of the universe tells me that there has to be thousands (if not millions) of civilizations out there, many of them more advanced than our own. However, the distances involved, coupled with the speed of light constraint make it extremely unlikely that they're just popping in from time to time to check out some Iowa farmer's corn crop.

It's not just the distances that are the problem. How old is the earth? 4.5 billion years old, and how long has the earth had intelligent life, humans? 4-5 thousand years and how many of those years were they able to send out radio signals and then receive radio signals from other planets? a century. What are the odds that two advanced civilizations that both had the ability to receive and transmit messages were both alive at the exact same time? Very unlikely. Also to be located close enough to each other that those messages could be heard is just so unlikely. 

Edited by peaches5
  • Wat 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If that is true then all those military pilots and commercial pilots saw what? Even the French, Belgium, Chilean, and Brazilian governments now admit there are UFOs. They just cannot explain them.

A UFO does not mean its alien it means it's an unidentified flying object which could be anything. There is only one UFO case I have seen where I have been like hmm this actually doesn't make a lot of sense and trust me I love watching and reading UFO stuff. I lean more towards alternate dimensions as I see that as much more plausible, but, the UFO case I am referring to is the one where it actually happened in Canada and the guy was walking in the forest and he encountered a small silver disk which he approached and he says he heard an alien language from a small black hole on the side and then when he called out in multiple languages cause he spoke several languages the voices stopped, didn't reply to him, and then the disc closed up and took off blasting him in the chest with its exhaust he was 2-3 hours from the hospital he ran through the woods to the hospital he gets there and he has visible, and documented with pictures, red burn marks in a symmetrical circle around his chest. He gets treated for radiation sickness and some other $&!# but this is the one UFO case that has hospital documents and there's no explanation for these injuries. It's very hard to discredit.  

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, SILLY GOOSE said:

"We are the animals that can both understand and respond to reasons. These abilities have given us great knowledge, and power to control the future of life on Earth. Though there may be life elsewhere, there may be no other animals like us. We may be the only rational beings in the Universe."

Derek Parft

I watched a Ted Talk recently that honed in on this very question.  It reasoned that in order for life like us to exist, there are a number of events in the Earth's natural history that created just the right circumstances for our evolution to occur, or even just basic cellular life from the beginning.  Despite the math saying there are a number of other planets like Earth with a similar distance to their star/sun, it could be the case that life on other planets is not like the life we imagine with UFO's. 

Totally brother. I was watching a doco called ,The Human odessey which postulated that once we began eating seafood it provided our brains with the amino acids, tryptophan, tyrosine,histodine and arginine that are used by the brain for the synthesis of various neurotransmitters and neuromodulators. It might have been at this point we developed the ability to reason deductively. We know so little about ourselves. Our planet is 3.8 billions years old, it was " only" 640 million years ago that multicelled life appeared on the planet after an event called snowball earth, the only time our planet completely froze. We do not know what caused single cell life to multiply. We are starting to seriously use the MRI machine to study our brains. I believe this tool will give us great insight into what makes us what we essentially are.

On 8/24/2018 at 5:44 PM, Kanukfanatic said:

I have always believed that, in a Universe as big as it is, there would be life all over the universe.

What are your thoughts on the book or the issue?

I also agree it's self centered to think we're the only possible life in something as massive as the universe. But to expand on that, it's also self centered to think that with so many "sightings", that they actually are aliens choosing to visit our planet in this little corner of it all.

EDIT: and I'm glad to see others have the same idea. That extraterrestrial beings would visit earth so frequently (even considering the more plausible sightings) and yet we haven't had any verifiable contact is implausible. And if they did visit that we wouldn't even know about it being more plausible than no contact from so many sightings. I won't go down the road of government cover ups as that requires coercion of multiple governments and that the extraterrestrials working with them only or not being smart enough to evade them when they do come.

I'm an extremely logical person, and approach pretty much everything this way. 

Edited by elvis15
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, elvis15 said:

I also agree it's self centered to think we're the only possible life in something as massive as the universe. But to expand on that, it's also self centered to think that with so many "sightings", that they actually are aliens choosing to visit our planet in this little corner of it all.

Fair enough. But there are some very compelling sightings that have occurred many times as described in the book. They don't necessarily say they are ETs but they do say the "vehicles" are not from earth.

Everyone knows UFO's are fake.. what is real are Fallen angels running the world.. 

Search up the difference RH Positive blood and RH Negative blood.. look at the difference in appearance.

Then search up who is in power with their blood type. 

No intent in conspiracy theories.... 

8 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Totally brother. I was watching a doco called ,The Human odessey which postulated that once we began eating seafood it provided our brains with the amino acids, tryptophan, tyrosine,histodine and arginine that are used by the brain for the synthesis of various neurotransmitters and neuromodulators. It might have been at this point we developed the ability to reason deductively. We know so little about ourselves. Our planet is 3.8 billions years old, it was " only" 640 million years ago that multicelled life appeared on the planet after an event called snowball earth, the only time our planet completely froze. We do not know what caused single cell life to multiply. We are starting to seriously use the MRI machine to study our brains. I believe this tool will give us great insight into what makes us what we essentially are.

It's an interesting possibility.  Could also be true that a giant ship of refugees land in Johannesburg

• Cheers 1

6 hours ago, elvis15 said:

I'm an extremely logical person, and approach pretty much everything this way. 

I am the same Elvis.  A few of my friends joke I have a mild case of asbergers. If believe that if a species has devised a means to travel between the solar systems or even galaxies it must mean they have worked collectively to achieve this. Our species does not work collectively on anything. The only thing we seem to devote our efforts to is find new methods to destroy both ourselves and potentially the planet. The acronym for the military strategy that supposedly keeps us from destroying ourselves and our planet is MAD, mutual assured destruction. Imagine you were a rational, logical species cruising round the galaxy/galaxies, would you contact us. I certainly would not. We are destroying both ourselves and our planet. I would give us a wide birth.

Edited by Ilunga
  • Cheers 1

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Ryan Strome said:

'Aliens are coming!' Mysterious light is spotted in the night skies of China, sparking UFO rumours

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6268839/Is-UFO-Mysterious-light-spotted-night-sky-northern-China.html

4986708-0-image-a-9_1539341734478.jpg

I was struck by this caption under the video and photos:

A leading UFO expert claimed that the footage looked like the trail of a rocket motor 

I'm having trouble imagining an alien civilization that is capable of interstellar travel, using "rocket motor" propulsion....