The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

John McCain Ends Cancer Treatment

nucklehead

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

Arizona candidate groused about McCain family before he died

PHOENIX (AP) — Hours before Sen. John McCain died on Saturday, a Republican seeking Arizona's other U.S. Senate seat suggested that his family's earlier announcement that he was ending cancer treatment had been timed to hurt her campaign.

Former State Sen. Kelli Ward, who lost a primary to McCain running from the right in 2016 and is now trying to win the GOP nomination for retiring Sen. Jeff Flake's seat, made the suggestion in response to a Facebook post by a campaign aide.

According to screenshots of the conversation posted on Twitter by Arizona political reporters, the aide, Jonathan Williams, wondered if it was "just a coincidence" that the announcement of McCain ending medical treatment came the day Ward was launching a statewide bus tour, her big push before Tuesday's primary.

Ward replied: "I think they wanted to have a particular narrative that is negative to me."

After her response was Tweeted out, Ward deleted the post and replaced it with one claiming the media was concocting a story.

"I've said again and again to pray for Senator McCain & his family," Ward wrote. "These decisions are terrible to have to make. I feel compassion for him and his family as they go through this."

Ward has acknowledged she is the underdog in Tuesday's primary. She faces Rep. Martha McSally and former Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio.

A message left with Ward's campaign office on Sunday morning was not immediately returned.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/arizona-candidate-groused-mccain-hours-died-171805027--election.html

Talk about a need to drain the swamp.

Be gone, vile woman.

I would love to say that we are above this sort of BS but I read this story just a few days ago.

'A new low': Conservative robocall tries to exploit Liberal MP's cancer diagnosis

Listening today to the tributes paid to John McCain and learning more about him I now regret the comments I made in the trump thread. Like all human beings I sometimes make mistakes and I hate war much that I allowed that hatred to colour my judgement.  I have learned that he tried to bring his country together by running with a democrat, by trying to eliminate money from politics amongst other things I admire. We can find by the best and the worst of our species in anyone of us. I have learnt again that I should try to look for the best in my fellow human being.

I made a mistake by both critising him and doing it at that time. I would like to apologise to any member of this forum I offended particularly the American members.  I wish John's family all the best at this time.

5 minutes ago, Ilunga said:

Listening today to the tributes paid to John McCain and learning more about him I now regret the comments I made in the trump thread. Like all human beings I sometimes make mistakes and I hate war much that I allowed that hatred to colour my judgement.  I have learned that he tried to bring his country together by running with a democrat, by trying to eliminate money from politics amongst other things I admire. We can find by the best and the worst of our species in anyone of us. I have learnt again that I should try to look for the best in my fellow human being.

I made a mistake by both critising him and doing it at that time. I would like to apologise to any member of this forum I offended particularly the American members.  I wish John's family all the best at this time.

That's ok, after watching Ken Burn's documentary on the Vietnam War, I didn't like John Kerry's blanket statement to Congress on how troops behaved in Vietnam. 

Not every soldier was a raping, killing monster. But there was a definite lack of control, given the situation it wasn't hard for some US soldiers to go rogue. 

Once again from Breaker Morant the closing argument sums it up. 

2 hours ago, Ilunga said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with criticizing McCain for his politics. He did vote to give tax cuts to the rich, his reputation as a "Maverick" is also overstated mostly due to the fact that the rest of his party was full of spineless weasels. McCain frequently toed the line for the Republicans on many significant issues. There was the Keating scandal and choosing Palin as his running mate.

Yet I think he was one of the few politicians with principles in Washington. It took a complete erosion of the Republican party for many liberals to see that. The likes of Trump and the current GOP have really boosted the legacy of some former Republican politicians.

Just now, Toews said:

I don't think there is anything wrong with criticizing McCain for his politics. He did vote to give tax cuts to the rich, his reputation as a "Maverick" is also overstated mostly due to the fact that the rest of his party was full of spineless weasels. McCain frequently toed the line for the Republicans on many significant issues. There was the Keating scandal and choosing Palin as his running mate.

Yet I think he was one of the few politicians with principles in Washington. It took a complete erosion of the Republican party for many liberals to see that. The likes of Trump and the current GOP have really boosted the legacy of some former Republican politicians.

You are right brother there are things he did that I really disagree with. How ever I spoke hastily letting my emotions colour my judgement. If I have to be totally honest I also let events in my personal life effect my thought process. I really dislike that. Reason and logic should be the only things one bases their opinions and judgements on.

An example of what a petty little septuagenarian toddler Cadet Bone Spurs is:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-rejected-plans-for-a-white-house-statement-praising-mccain/ar-BBMu9rO?li=AAggNb9

Mark Hertling, a former senior military commander who lauded McCain on Twitter for visiting Mosul during heavy fighting in Iraq, said he was not surprised by Trump’s reaction to McCain’s death. Nineteen months into his presidency, Trump has yet to visit any war zones where American troops are fighting.

“It was very shallow,” Hertling said of Trump’s response.

McCain allies said they did not expect an outpouring of praise from Trump after their contentious past.

“It certainly doesn’t bother me or the people I know close to John,” Weaver said. “I don’t think it bothers John one bit. If we heard something today or tomorrow from Trump, we know it’d mean less than a degree from Trump University.”

Just now, RUPERTKBD said:

An example of what a petty little septuagenarian toddler Cadet Bone Spurs is:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/politics/trump-rejected-plans-for-a-white-house-statement-praising-mccain/ar-BBMu9rO?li=AAggNb9

Nothing this guy does would surprise me anymore Rupert. He kinda reminds me of Nero.I wake up each morning expecting to see him playing a fiddle. To put that into context I have read Nero tried to rewrite Augustan models of rule. Transpose Nero with Trump and Augustus with Obama. And in a modern sense the US is burning. It's definately an empire in decline.

14 hours ago, Shift-4 said:

&^@# Cancer

And militarism and nationalism. When are we going to learn we are all brothers  and sisters and we are linked. Every one of our ancestors walked out of Africa 125,000- 75,000 years ago.

On 2018-08-25 at 5:54 PM, Hutton Wink said:

Someone passing away does not change the facts about what they did in their life.

One person could’ve used his family’s influence to get an earlier release from torture in the “Hanoi Hilton”.   He declined....that makes him a hero in my books (I myself would’ve cracked).  One other con artist used his family’s influence to get promoted to Captain Bone Spurs...

23 hours ago, Ilunga said:

Nothing this guy does would surprise me anymore Rupert. He kinda reminds me of Nero.I wake up each morning expecting to see him playing a fiddle. To put that into context I have read Nero tried to rewrite Augustan models of rule. Transpose Nero with Trump and Augustus with Obama. And in a modern sense the US is burning. It's definately an empire in decline.

Who would be Caligula? :P  

McCain’s final message to America, penned just before his death:

"My fellow Americans, whom I have gratefully served for sixty years, and especially my fellow Arizonans,

"Thank you for the privilege of serving you and for the rewarding life that service in uniform and in public office has allowed me to lead. I have tried to serve our country honorably. I have made mistakes, but I hope my love for America will be weighed favorably against them.

"I have often observed that I am the luckiest person on earth. I feel that way even now as I prepare for the end of my life. I have loved my life, all of it. I have had experiences, adventures and friendships enough for ten satisfying lives, and I am so thankful. Like most people, I have regrets. But I would not trade a day of my life, in good or bad times, for the best day of anyone else's.

"I owe that satisfaction to the love of my family. No man ever had a more loving wife or children he was prouder of than I am of mine. And I owe it to America. To be connected to America's causes – liberty, equal justice, respect for the dignity of all people – brings happiness more sublime than life's fleeting pleasures. Our identities and sense of worth are not circumscribed but enlarged by serving good causes bigger than ourselves.

"'Fellow Americans' – that association has meant more to me than any other. I lived and died a proud American. We are citizens of the world's greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil. We are blessed and are a blessing to humanity when we uphold and advance those ideals at home and in the world. We have helped liberate more people from tyranny and poverty than ever before in history. We have acquired great wealth and power in the process.

"We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries that have sown resentment and hatred and violence in all the corners of the globe. We weaken it when we hide behind walls, rather than tear them down, when we doubt the power of our ideals, rather than trust them to be the great force for change they have always been.

"We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

"Ten years ago, I had the privilege to concede defeat in the election for president. I want to end my farewell to you with the heartfelt faith in Americans that I felt so powerfully that evening.

"I feel it powerfully still.'

"Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

"Farewell, fellow Americans. God bless you, and God bless America."

1 hour ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

McCain’s final message to America, penned just before his death:

"My fellow Americans, whom I have gratefully served for sixty years, and especially my fellow Arizonans,

"Thank you for the privilege of serving you and for the rewarding life that service in uniform and in public office has allowed me to lead. I have tried to serve our country honorably. I have made mistakes, but I hope my love for America will be weighed favorably against them.

"I have often observed that I am the luckiest person on earth. I feel that way even now as I prepare for the end of my life. I have loved my life, all of it. I have had experiences, adventures and friendships enough for ten satisfying lives, and I am so thankful. Like most people, I have regrets. But I would not trade a day of my life, in good or bad times, for the best day of anyone else's.

"I owe that satisfaction to the love of my family. No man ever had a more loving wife or children he was prouder of than I am of mine. And I owe it to America. To be connected to America's causes – liberty, equal justice, respect for the dignity of all people – brings happiness more sublime than life's fleeting pleasures. Our identities and sense of worth are not circumscribed but enlarged by serving good causes bigger than ourselves.

"'Fellow Americans' – that association has meant more to me than any other. I lived and died a proud American. We are citizens of the world's greatest republic, a nation of ideals, not blood and soil. We are blessed and are a blessing to humanity when we uphold and advance those ideals at home and in the world. We have helped liberate more people from tyranny and poverty than ever before in history. We have acquired great wealth and power in the process.

"We weaken our greatness when we confuse our patriotism with tribal rivalries that have sown resentment and hatred and violence in all the corners of the globe. We weaken it when we hide behind walls, rather than tear them down, when we doubt the power of our ideals, rather than trust them to be the great force for change they have always been.

"We are three-hundred-and-twenty-five million opinionated, vociferous individuals. We argue and compete and sometimes even vilify each other in our raucous public debates. But we have always had so much more in common with each other than in disagreement. If only we remember that and give each other the benefit of the presumption that we all love our country we will get through these challenging times. We will come through them stronger than before. We always do.

"Ten years ago, I had the privilege to concede defeat in the election for president. I want to end my farewell to you with the heartfelt faith in Americans that I felt so powerfully that evening.

"I feel it powerfully still.'

"Do not despair of our present difficulties but believe always in the promise and greatness of America, because nothing is inevitable here. Americans never quit. We never surrender. We never hide from history. We make history.

"Farewell, fellow Americans. God bless you, and God bless America."

Nice little dig at Cadet Bones Spurs there:

Archived