The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Defining Trade

3 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I feel like goalie stats in general aren't a very good for measuring how good a goalie is. But I guess if you HAD to pick one 6th best GAA isn't too shabby on an average team.

Its not shabby.  Which is why Im taking a wait and see approach with him as I honestly dont have any idea how good he will be.  

With that said, I dont think any of us really know. I think there is a lot of wishful thimking that he's our goalie of the future. 

Hopefully those wishes come true.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Its not shabby.  Which is why Im taking a wait and see approach with him as I honestly dont have any idea how good he will be.  

With that said, I dont think any of us really know. I think there is a lot of wishful thimking that he's our goalie of the future. 

Hopefully those wishes come true.

It's wishful thinking with every prospect. Is it a reach to say Demko is the best goalie outside of the NHL, maybe. I'd say he's one of the more NHL ready goalie prospects though. 

3 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

It's wishful thinking with every prospect. Is it a reach to say Demko is the best goalie outside of the NHL, maybe. I'd say he's one of the more NHL ready goalie prospects though. 

I agree with that.  If we didnt have Nilsson under contract he could fit into the backup role quite nicely I think.

On 2018-08-25 at 12:49 PM, hammertime said:

Talon turned down a deal involving Patches from MTL for the Borg. Doubt Sutter and an unproven goalie get Borgstrom + 2017 10th over all pick Tippett

Talon wants Gudbranson back.

FLA

Gudbranson

VAN

1st

Any deal involving a 1st and Benning’s Canucks, is a better defining trade as Benning will more than likely chose a future star.

I know the CDC thinks this trade is bad but lets take a closer look. Demko is ready for some prime time starts . With our team he may get lit up because of our bad defense and a young team. Take a look at Nilsson and how well he did at the world championships. But is not consistent in the nhl . Put a top de-core in front of him . Markstrom and Nillson would be a lot better. Demko is a sacrifice in this trade, Sutter and Demko for Tippet and Borgstrom . Tallon is in apposition to win now . Adding one of Nilsson or Markstrom instead of Demko is not a big enough carrot for Tallon . Tippett will be a 30 goal scorer in the nhl who can play ether wing . Borgstrom I see as a second line center with all the tools. We all thought Markstrom was going to be a great goalie due to all the accolades heaped on him in the AHL and was touted as the best goalie not in the NHL. The Canucks cant score this trade would go along way to fixing that problem. Drafting more defensemen and a number one center should be our top priority . Drafting Lind instead of Hague may have been a big mistake. 

On ‎8‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 4:00 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

He has a better chance at being a superstar than either Borgstrom or Tippett...that's for sure.   None of the three are NHL for sures - no question.   However, Vancouver does NOT need more forward prospects so trading away such a blue chip netminder prospect that doesn't address their real need (D prospects) seems nonsensical.   

Borgstrom is a very good prospect.  I've seen him listed as high as top 10 prospects in the world, top 25 by virtually all such lists.

Including the NHL one just released; https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-tonight-lists-best-prospects-on-way-to-nhl/c-299890068?tid=277729154

48 minutes ago, Canuck Surfer said:

Borgstrom is a very good prospect.  I've seen him listed as high as top 10 prospects in the world, top 25 by virtually all such lists.

Including the NHL one just released; https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-tonight-lists-best-prospects-on-way-to-nhl/c-299890068?tid=277729154

I like him too....just not more than I like Demko.   Given the prospects the Canucks have, Borgstrom is far more redundant with the Canucks than Demko is.

PS - lots of Canucks on that list....Demko not there is very surprising but goalies rarely get the props they deserve....after all, they only play every minute of a game so, eh, not that important...:rolleyes:

11 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

I know the CDC thinks this trade is bad but lets take a closer look. Demko is ready for some prime time starts . With our team he may get lit up because of our bad defense and a young team. Take a look at Nilsson and how well he did at the world championships. But is not consistent in the nhl . Put a top de-core in front of him . Markstrom and Nillson would be a lot better. Demko is a sacrifice in this trade, Sutter and Demko for Tippet and Borgstrom . Tallon is in apposition to win now . Adding one of Nilsson or Markstrom instead of Demko is not a big enough carrot for Tallon . Tippett will be a 30 goal scorer in the nhl who can play ether wing . Borgstrom I see as a second line center with all the tools. We all thought Markstrom was going to be a great goalie due to all the accolades heaped on him in the AHL and was touted as the best goalie not in the NHL. The Canucks cant score this trade would go along way to fixing that problem. Drafting more defensemen and a number one center should be our top priority . Drafting Lind instead of Hague may have been a big mistake. 

I'm not sure about that.. look at the difference Miller made in net - he actually stole some games. that's the difference an elite (albeit past their prime) goalie can make. obviously we have no idea if demko progresses to elite status, but we do know that marky and Nilsson ain't there.. so I see demko as too high a price.. 

12 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Neither team would do it IMHO.

You don't know this and of course if you haven't thought it up well its not a good Idea . Borgstrom and Tippett would give us some high end skill.

having a top six of 

Tippett  - Horvat  -  Boeser

Dahlen - Borgstrom - Pettersson

would be note worthy 

Tallon is building a winning club he needs some defensive swagger added, Sutter gives him this , Maybe Gudbranson ( Tallon loves Gudbranson) and Sutter, retraining some cap, add Nilsson maybe, but there is a deal to be made. The trade deadline will give a sense of what they may need to get them over the top. Vancouver is in the position to help them and getting a great player back. 

32 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

You don't know this and of course if you haven't thought it up well its not a good Idea . Borgstrom and Tippett would give us some high end skill.

having a top six of 

Tippett  - Horvat  -  Boeser

Dahlen - Borgstrom - Pettersson

would be note worthy 

Trading away arguably the best goalie prospect in hockey and a player you have put that many years of development into after just also bringing back arguably the best goalie coach in hockey - ya, I have thought about it well enough.    

Unless the prospect has a name like Dahlin or two or three others,  you are are not prying Demko away if I was the GM and I strongly suspect JB would feel the same.    

Look, I know you like your proposed trade but Florida says not and Vancouver says no - not a good fit for either.

13 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Trading away arguably the best goalie prospect in hockey and a player you have put that many years of development into after just also bringing back arguably the best goalie coach in hockey - ya, I have thought about it well enough.    

Unless the prospect has a name like Dahlin or two or three others,  you are are not prying Demko away if I was the GM and I strongly suspect JB would feel the same.    

Look, I know you like your proposed trade but Florida says not and Vancouver says no - not a good fit for either.

Maybe Tallon might surprise you

14 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Maybe Tallon might surprise you

Trust me, he has a few times....and not always in a good way.   I am a Cats fan.....and can say that Tallon has my support for the most part but I wish he was more like JB in terms of having a consistent vision.   I also know ownership in Florida has made his job tough and meddled many times (like making that Guddy trade with Canucks - it KILLED a good playoff team and they haven't been back since).

On ‎9‎/‎2‎/‎2018 at 9:10 AM, Rob_Zepp said:

Trust me, he has a few times....and not always in a good way.   I am a Cats fan.....and can say that Tallon has my support for the most part but I wish he was more like JB in terms of having a consistent vision.   I also know ownership in Florida has made his job tough and meddled many times (like making that Guddy trade with Canucks - it KILLED a good playoff team and they haven't been back since).

Tallon can and will right the ship Florida will have a playoff team this year , to contend for the cup he may want to upgrade some areas Goal tending and forth line Center . Maybe Markstrom and Sutter at the trade deadline retraining some cap maybe gets Borgstrom but I still would look at Demko or DiPietro to acquire Tippett as well instead of Markstrom.

3 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Tallon can and will right the ship Florida will have a playoff team this year , to contend for the cup he may want to upgrade some areas Goal tending and forth line Center . Maybe Markstrom and Sutter at the trade deadline retraining some cap maybe gets Borgstrom but I still would look at Demko or DiPietro to acquire Tippett as well instead of Markstrom.

The biggest error the Cat's ownership ever made was removing Dale for a time being.   He is very good.   He is the reason the Hawks won those cups...not Bowman.   Give Tallon a full CAP and he can build a winner.   I don't fully agree with you on the needs - the team sorely misses Guddy or a player like him.   The day he was traded was like the day the very soul of the team was ripped from it....just look at record before and after in all key areas including points.

On 9/1/2018 at 8:08 AM, vannuck59 said:

it's late at night

and i admit i am a bit foggy

so you propose to trade demko to florida

so luongo wiill be forced into the background

and likely pressured into earlier retirement\

which then results in the canucks being hit with cap recapture penalties

you know . the luongo rule

please.. no goalie from vancouver to florida until well after luongo retires

we need him to play out his entire contract

9 hours ago, coastal.view said:

it's late at night

and i admit i am a bit foggy