The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Honkin Trade

To Dallas: Loui Eriksson 50% retained 

To Van: Spezza full meal + Honka

Loui ain't a bad deal for 3 mill especially for a team he has previously shown to be a great fit on.  + frees up 4.5 mill for Dallas to make a playoff run this year.

Juolevi Honka would be fun to watch and we ditch 3m on Loui which is a better shake than a buyout would be given his contract structure.

Just a stab in the dark at moving Eriksson. I know it's unlikely.

I knew ther'd be nay sayers as I said in my OP stab in the dark.

Eriksson had great years in Dallas is a fan favorite and for 3m he's not over paid on Dallas end. Who knows he could even have a resurgence. Dallas gets to ditch Spezza gain 4.5m in cap space for the year and all it cost them is 22 year old Honka who has yet to show that he's more than Pouliot light. 

Maybe Spezza poo poo's the deal but I don't think the value is terrible. Dallas is in a playoff window and puking 7.5m on Spezza basically kills any chance they have.

I don't think its so terrible. You make great points. Spezza says no which does stop this dead in its tracks, but I think Dallas would tax on erikson at a reduced rate and park him on the PP in front of the net with sequin and ben working their magic. Radulov on the wall opposite of seggers and klingberg at the point. Could put Eriksson in the 30goal range again.

2 hours ago, hammertime said:

I knew ther'd be nay sayers as I said in my OP stab in the dark.

Eriksson had great years in Dallas is a fan favorite and for 3m he's not over paid on Dallas end. Who knows he could even have a resurgence. Dallas gets to ditch Spezza gain 4.5m in cap space for the year and all it cost them is 22 year old Honka who has yet to show that he's more than Pouliot light. 

Maybe Spezza poo poo's the deal but I don't think the value is terrible. Dallas is in a playoff window and puking 7.5m on Spezza basically kills any chance they have.

Spezza and Eriksson is about the same quality of player at this this point. So 4.5mil of cap space for Honka will depend on how desperate Dallas is, which they probably aren't that desperate. What playoff run? They can hardly make the playoffs with that team, it is a good team but they haven't been able to deliver at all. 

Not to mention Honka at this point doesn't look too promising, maybe a AHL bust. Why should we gamble with 3mil of dead cap? We already have Luongo's deadcap. It's just handicapping any future moves for a potential AHL bust. 

Remember, we are already paying our mediocre players very well Sutter, Roussel, Beagle, Gudbranson. We will also have to sign big contracts to Boeser and Pettersson in 2-3 years.  

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Honkin Trade

Archived