The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Nylander

I wouldn't be against getting Nylander as I see the prediction of him being "invisible in the playoffs" a little premature (albeit with some reasonable basis to stand on). My main concern is do we end up with a similar position eventually where we have Pettersson, Horvat, and Boeser with Nylander being the odd man out? One can dream anyway. lol

22 minutes ago, The Lock said:

I wouldn't be against getting Nylander as I see the prediction of him being "invisible in the playoffs" a little premature (albeit with some reasonable basis to stand on). My main concern is do we end up with a similar position eventually where we have Pettersson, Horvat, and Boeser with Nylander being the odd man out? One can dream anyway. lol

I don’t see any of them in the $10 million plus range of salary.

Boeser probably gets locked in between $6-7 million.  If he explodes this year maybe that pushes $7.5.

Nylander has to be in the same range I would think.

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I don’t see any of them in the $10 million plus range of salary.

Boeser probably gets locked in between $6-7 million.  If he explodes this year maybe that pushes $7.5.

Nylander has to be in the same range I would think.

Before he was injured, Boeser was on pace to score 10 more points than Nylander has scored. Nylander hasn't exactly slouched, but Boeser I think is going to be quite a bit more significant than Nylander. We will see this season if Boeser continues his pace or if he goes on a sophomore slouch, but I would argue he's already a better player than Nylander.

1 hour ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Didn't Winnipeg get the to conference finals last season?

Haven't we only done that 3 times in our entire history?

And Ehlers had zero to do with the Jet’s playoff success.  Ehlers and Nylander are going to be overpaid for what they provide.  Their teams will never win Cups.  Their cap hits are wasted.  God, I just HATE those soft, one way, perimeter, non playoff performers.  

On 2018-08-27 at 1:08 PM, Provost said:

With no contract signed, word that the parties are far apart, and Toronto needing to save cap space to sign Matthews and other players.... Nylander could end up being moved out.

Do we have the pieces and willingness to make a deal.  Nylander is still young and fits with a new core.  A top line of:

Nylander-Horvat-Boeser

would look really nice for a lot of years.

It would obviously start with Tanev, but what other piece or pieces would have to go the other way?

Does Tanev, DiPietro, and a late pick get it done?

It would certainly get fan interest revved up if a Karlsson deal (dreaming) and then this move happened.

No to Dipeitro.  I never want to trade TO a goalie. Not after the Lou affair. 

Tanev and Baer for Nylander?  Salary would work out and Baer would slot into the LW spot in TO. 

Not sure I would want Nylander at the price above.  Thoughts. 

On 27/08/2018 at 6:03 PM, The Lock said:

I don't know if I'd say Tanev's a top pairing D. He certainly has some value, but there are a lot of teams where Tanev would be more like a top 4. We just kind of have a crappy defence core at the moment. ;) lol

I think he is.  Not a #1 guy... Absolutely complimentary.  But Tanev allows a skilled d pair to get in deep which is invaluable.  I could see a pairing of a Hughes style player and Tanev style player all day long...

But youre right ... Our d sucks. There is finally help on the horizon.

I don't see any way that we can go after Nylander.  The leafs are not trading him for spare parts, or Tanev.  At an absolute minimum I think you are looking at Joulevi, 2020 1st, and DiPietro, which would be  crazy to offer for a 60 point winger.  Even then, don't see the leafs making that move, somebody will provide a better offer.  

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 10:16 AM, mll said:

Dubas says 'we can, and we will keep all 4'.  He made it clear that these 4 players are their core and none of them are going anywhere.  

Ha lets add it up with 20 players on roster they have 13 mil to spend in cap add 3 mill to get the roster to 23 that leaves  10 mil. He has to sign Nylander lets say 6 mil. 4 mil space .

Next year  they have to pay , Matthews , Marner  Gardiner they lose Hainsey 3 mil.

Cap space 7 mil for next year. Mathews 10 mil. Marner 6 mil. Gardiner 5 Mil. Hainsy replacement 5 mil. add that up 26 mil. I don't think they have room.

I know it wouldn’t work, it’s not done, yadayadayada...but is there a reason we couldn’t offer sheet him?

I mean a real reason, like the type of RFA he is or something?

Again, I understand all the arguments against actually doing it, I’m wondering if it’s technically possible.

On 2018-08-27 at 10:16 AM, mll said:

Dubas says 'we can, and we will keep all 4'.  He made it clear that these 4 players are their core and none of them are going anywhere.  Tavares signed because of Matthews, Marner and Nylander.  He talks about how the 3 of them are so young and will only get better.  It keeps their window opened for so long.  That's how they sold Toronto to Tavares.  The so-called Shanaplan is to build around Nylander, Matthews, Marner and there's no indication that it has changed.

The Province wrote earlier in the summer that the offers received for Tanev were ridiculous - late round picks or 4th line grinders.

Not only his injury history hurts his value but maybe also the way the game is evolving.  Trotz was explaining that you have to play 5-5-5 in all zones now to be successful.  The Ds have to be able to work with the Fs to generate offence otherwise it's too difficult to score.  Teams are defending with 5 players so offence has to also be generated with 5 players.

More and more teams pair PMDs together.  Also the kids for the draft now model their game after Karlsson.  Nashville is regarded as one of the best D-corps in the league.  They don't have defensive Ds.  Babcock was asked about them and their system getting production from the blue line.  He answered it's called being better and says it's not the system.  I am not sure Babcock is interested in adding a defensive D and it wouldn't be at the cost of Nylander.  

they'd want Huges, so nah. Let their D suck eggs. 

1 hour ago, nzan said:

I know it wouldn’t work, it’s not done, yadayadayada...but is there a reason we couldn’t offer sheet him?

I mean a real reason, like the type of RFA he is or something?

Again, I understand all the arguments against actually doing it, I’m wondering if it’s technically possible.

They'd match any offer we could make since they have more cap space right now, then all we did was ruin any chances of potentially trading with them and they will come at our RFAs when their contracts are up. So yes, any team can offer sheet anyone if they so choose. Not entirely sure what you are asking here. Why wouldn't we specifically not be able to offer sheet him? 

On 2018-09-12 at 11:12 PM, WCE said:

I would go after Nylander perfect fit with Pettersson ?

To Tor  Tanev, Hutton, Bartschi,Goldobin & 1st rd 2020

To Van Nylander, Carrick or Borgman & 2nd rd 2019

We already have Baer and Goldy; we don’t need WM.  Don’t get caught up in the TSN hype propaganda machine. 

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

We already have Baer and Goldy; we don’t need WM.  Don’t get caught up in the TSN hype propaganda machine. 

You’re homerism knows no bounds. 

Nylander.  

22 years old 

48g-87a-135p in 185 games. 

Baertschi

25 years old

57g-65a-122p in 259 games

Goldobin

22 years old

8g-6a-14p in 38 games. 

Neither Goldobin nor Baertschi are on Nylanders level 

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

They'd match any offer we could make since they have more cap space right now, then all we did was ruin any chances of potentially trading with them and they will come at our RFAs when their contracts are up. So yes, any team can offer sheet anyone if they so choose. Not entirely sure what you are asking here. Why wouldn't we specifically not be able to offer sheet him? 

Haha, the double pre-emptive “I’m-not-asking-for-all-the-reasons-you-don’t-think-we-should-do-this” qualifiers weren’t strong enough?

There are a number of circumstances that have to be correct for an offer sheet to be viable (timing, type of RFA, qualifying offer), I think Nylander should technically be able to be offer-sheeted, I wanted to know if anyone knew of a reason why that wouldn’t be the case.

5 hours ago, nzan said:

Haha, the double pre-emptive “I’m-not-asking-for-all-the-reasons-you-don’t-think-we-should-do-this” qualifiers weren’t strong enough?

There are a number of circumstances that have to be correct for an offer sheet to be viable (timing, type of RFA, qualifying offer), I think Nylander should technically be able to be offer-sheeted, I wanted to know if anyone knew of a reason why that wouldn’t be the case.

Well for one, like I said, they could match any offer we could make if that alone isn't enough for you to not want to look like an idiot then I dunno what to tell ya. We have all our picks for this year and next year I am pretty sure, so compensation is easy mode. The highest contract we could offer would cost us our next 2 1st round picks, our 2nd round pick and our 3rd round pick which we have. So there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to offer sheet him, just makes no sense.

16 hours ago, qwijibo said:

You’re homerism knows no bounds. 

Nylander.  

22 years old 

48g-87a-135p in 185 games. 

Baertschi

25 years old

57g-65a-122p in 259 games

Goldobin

22 years old

8g-6a-14p in 38 games. 

Neither Goldobin nor Baertschi are on Nylanders level 

Soft perimeter players, who do nothing when the game becomes harder, are a dime a dozen.  That's why the Leafs will not pay WM the 6 (or more) million per season he's asking for.  Guys like Kadri, Marner, and Matthews are actually the key forwards on the Leafs.  (They have other forwards too, who play harder minutes and don't get paid too much)  I'm sure the Leafs have been shopping WM too, but there are no takers.  There are no takers because every team already has one or tow WM's, so they don't need another one.  WM is going to eat salary cap dollars, which will actually hurt a team (like the Leafs) from bringing in top checking players, that are needed to win Cups.  

Archived