The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Nylander

Anyone think that Nylander is definitely worth 8 million dollars considering that Tavares got 11 million without playing a single game in a Leaf's uniform? I feel like he's getting the short end of the deal here. Marner and Matthuews is seemingly getting all the recognition while Nylander is being labelled the soft one. I really don't get it, I would love to see him play for us. Either Centering for Petterson or Being on the Wing with Patterson and Dahlen.

Ps. Draft Jack Hughes so we can have Boeser Horvat and Hughes on our first line.  

1 hour ago, duc_evo said:

Anyone think that Nylander is definitely worth 8 million dollars considering that Tavares got 11 million without playing a single game in a Leaf's uniform? I feel like he's getting the short end of the deal here. Marner and Matthuews is seemingly getting all the recognition while Nylander is being labelled the soft one. I really don't get it, I would love to see him play for us. Either Centering for Petterson or Being on the Wing with Patterson and Dahlen.

Ps. Draft Jack Hughes so we can have Boeser Horvat and Hughes on our first line.  

The one issue I would have is that if traded here, his signing would be the benchmark for Brock Boeser. That is, if Nylander is holding out for a long-term $7-8M per season contract then Boeser is definitely getting that too. That in itself is a heck of a lot more than Bo Horvat's $5.5M per season, but his deal was coming off a 52-point campaign instead of Nylander's back-to-back 61-point campaigns. 

Hypothetically, if we do somehow trade for Nylander would fans be ok with whatever pricetag his contract would be? And how that would set the benchmark for Boeser's upcoming contract and Elias Pettersson not long afterwards?

Example,

TOR: Tanev + Virtanen 

VAN: Nylander

Nylander signs for $7.5M/season?

Boeser signs for $7.5-8M/season?

Pettersson signs for $8-9M/season?

Will that be too much for forwards? Or by that time will we be happy that we have several high-scoring forwards?

20 hours ago, Blömqvist said:

The one issue I would have is that if traded here, his signing would be the benchmark for Brock Boeser. That is, if Nylander is holding out for a long-term $7-8M per season contract then Boeser is definitely getting that too. That in itself is a heck of a lot more than Bo Horvat's $5.5M per season, but his deal was coming off a 52-point campaign instead of Nylander's back-to-back 61-point campaigns. 

Hypothetically, if we do somehow trade for Nylander would fans be ok with whatever pricetag his contract would be? And how that would set the benchmark for Boeser's upcoming contract and Elias Pettersson not long afterwards?

Example,

TOR: Tanev + Virtanen 

VAN: Nylander

Nylander signs for $7.5M/season?

Boeser signs for $7.5-8M/season?

Pettersson signs for $8-9M/season?

Will that be too much for forwards? Or by that time will we be happy that we have several high-scoring forwards?

We could say that 8.5 million cap on Forwards and 8 million cap for D man. 

I wouldn't mind at all if we sign Willie @7.5, Boeser @8, and Petterson @8, additionally, Quinn @7-8 down the road. 

P.s. I hope Horvat doesn't turn into Toews in the latter part of his career. 

On 9/26/2018 at 8:03 PM, duc_evo said:

I wouldn't mind at all if we sign Willie @7.5, Boeser @8, and Petterson @8, additionally, Quinn @7-8 down the road. 

Think this is a moot point. Nylander's not coming to Vancouver. 

Hard to imagine that he could've been a Canuck, though. But let's not go back there...

I have a feeling that Horvat is going to get to about 60-70 points in his career at some point in the season. He's had a 50 point season already, and he is just coming into his own offensively with more offensive players at his disposal. I think he's only going to get better, wouldn't surprise me for Bo to get to 65 points. I think he could be a 25-30 goal scorer, 40-50 assists kind of guy. Especially with Boeser on his wing. 

So looking at cap friendly the leafs have $12M in cap space and we have $9M.

Here's a couple of deals that I have came up with.

Deal #1)

Toronto Receives 

Edler ($5M for one year).

Baertschi/Granlund (Leafs can take their pick).

Wsh Rd. 6 2019

Can Rd. 7 2019

Canucks Receive

Nylander

For this to work Edler would have to waive his NTC.  I feel like he would definitely consider it since he would be being traded to a contender.  It's nice for the Leafs cause they get some help on their blue line and a half decent replacement for Nylander.  Not to mention they'll get two draft picks.  This would be great for Toronto because Edler has one more year remaining on his contract, so the leafs can renegotiate with Edler after the season.  This is great for us because we would get another All-Star winger in Nylander.

Deal #2)

Toronto Receives

Tanev/Gudbranson

MDZ

Can Rd. 5 2021

Vancouver Receives

Nylander

Toronto Rd. 6 2020

Sharks Rd. 7 2020

The Leafs get their pick in-between two solid defencemen in Tanev and Gudbranson.  They'll also receive MDZ, really bolstering their blue line.  This trade will be great for the Canucks cause once again we're getting a proven winger and this trade will create room for Juolevi ;).  We'll also be creating enough cap room in both of these scenarios to comfortably sign Nylander to a long term contract.

Think Nylander would be a great fit w/EP.

Erix   EP  Nylander

Baer  Bo  Brock

Is a decent enough looking top 6..

Nylander is a former 1st round pick(think 8th overall)...

Leafs have too many big money contracts in the exact same age group...

I would offer next years 1st(top 10protected)...if not falls to 2020 at which point we should at least be a middle of the pack team.

Id throw in any cheap winger also if leafs wanted...Goldie,Gran etc

I think Nylander fits better with the Bo EP Brock core than an 18 yr old 2020 draft pick will.

I like Nylander - a lot. However, I think he's over-hyped.

Sure, he scored over 60 points in his first 2 seasons...mostly playing with Matthews. I would like to see him drive the play on his own more before handing him $7mil+ long-term. Toronto probably feels similarly, which is why he isn't signed yet.

If Toronto does choose to trade him, it would be for a young(ish), top-4 RHD. I don't see a great fit with Vancouver. Nylander to Colorado for Tyson Barrie would make a lot of sense. Or perhaps to Carolina for Pesce+. Both those teams have top RHD prospects on the way, and a desperate need for more bona fide top-6 players.

On 8/27/2018 at 5:06 PM, N7Nucks said:

That's bodes well for when we get back to the Conference Finals at least. I knew we had a pretty miserable existence overall, but didn't think all our Conference Finals appearances were in the Cup runs. Dang. Lol.

Careful. Remember when we went to the finals after 12 years, then again 12 years later, so many were predicting 2006 because, you know, 12+12+12.

Now the spell is broken and we are 12+12+17...

On 9/17/2018 at 9:19 PM, qwijibo said:

You’re homerism knows no bounds. 

Nylander.  

22 years old 

48g-87a-135p in 185 games. 

Baertschi

25 years old

57g-65a-122p in 259 games

Goldobin

22 years old

8g-6a-14p in 38 games. 

Neither Goldobin nor Baertschi are on Nylanders level 

So Nylander is better than these players too?   I don't think Nylander is a bad player but just using stats all the time can be misleading.

Wheeler

22 years old

21g-24a-45p in 81 games

Bertuzzi

22 years old

28g-34a-62p in 140 games

Naslund

22 years old

25g-42a-77p in 151 games

Marty St. Louis

22 years old

0g-0a-0p (was stuck in minors, no NHL yet)

7 hours ago, D-Money said:

Sure, he scored over 60 points in his first 2 seasons...mostly playing with Matthews. I would like to see him drive the play on his own more before handing him $7mil+ long-term. Toronto probably feels similarly, which is why he isn't signed yet.

If Toronto does choose to trade him, it would be for a young(ish), top-4 RHD. I don't see a great fit with Vancouver. Nylander to Colorado for Tyson Barrie would make a lot of sense. Or perhaps to Carolina for Pesce+. Both those teams have top RHD prospects on the way, and a desperate need for more bona fide top-6 players.

This.  Also tough to think about paying a young guy for who's holding out at this stage of his career.  There have been lots of players who come into the league with a bang only to see a decline in their numbers. I think that JB is playing it cool with Brock for this reason.  If Nylander would accept a reasonable contract offer, there would have been an offer sheet signed already. 

9 hours ago, D-Money said:

Carolina isn't parting with Pesce or Hamilton imo. Faulk makes the most sense out of Carolina. 

On 8/27/2018 at 9:32 AM, Alflives said:

Nylander (Double Flamingo) is not a player that a team wins playoff rounds with.  He’s much like Ehlers that way.  When the going gets tough, those to disappear.  

The only Leaf I would truly want is Marner.  Matthews will be way overpaid.  

welll he reminds me of a player we once had and that is what I said about him ( not going to say his name as people get mad and I am not a troll ), so would be nice to get him to make the playoffs, then teach him better D play so least

44 minutes ago, cripplereh said:

welll he reminds me of a player we once had and that is what I said about him ( not going to say his name as people get mad and I am not a troll ), so would be nice to get him to make the playoffs, then teach him better D play so least

I used to have real difficulty with Wm’s toughness as a player, but seeing him stand up for himself has given me a better appreciation for him.  I wold trade for him if the price was right.  I just hate the Leafs.  The suck.  I had some scotch, okay. Lot, and I still hate the Leafs, but like WM.  

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 8:03 PM, duc_evo said:

I predict Boeser signs for 6.5 Mil a year x 5 and heres why , Bad year this year 25 goals tops , Willie if he comes here 6.5 mil 2 years show me contract . Pettersson 6.5 X 3 years bridge 

Archived