The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Acquiring Nylander

Why not? The team needs enough scoring to get to the playoffs.

Swedes Pettersson, Eriksson, Edler, Markstrom, Nillson, Dahlen and if possible trade for Nylander, definite possibility, trade for Dahlin, not likely but.Boeser and Tanev?

TO can not lose this fight so he will be traded, they will want to trade him to the west, out of sight out of mind theory.

Do Canuck fans really want to see LA retool ahead of a Canuck resurgence or Anaheim get stronger with younger players? Both those teams are/were expected to decline helping the Nucks have a better chance for a playoff spot.

19 hours ago, TheGuardian_ said:

Why not? The team needs enough scoring to get to the playoffs.

Swedes Pettersson, Eriksson, Edler, Markstrom, Nillson, Dahlen and if possible trade for Nylander, definite possibility, trade for Dahlin, not likely but.Boeser and Tanev?

TO can not lose this fight so he will be traded, they will want to trade him to the west, out of sight out of mind theory.

Do Canuck fans really want to see LA retool ahead of a Canuck resurgence or Anaheim get stronger with younger players? Both those teams are/were expected to decline helping the Nucks have a better chance for a playoff spot.

Why would we need WM though?  We have Baer and Goldy, who are similar players.  WM is a redundant piece here.  Heck, that’s why the Leafs refuse to give the kid a long term deal at serious dollars.  He’s nothing special.  Plus, he did the Double Flamingo.  Teammates hate seeing that lack of toughness, and commitment to doing what it takes to help your mates.  The guy literally chickened out!  

I do respect him for standing up for himself in these negotiations.  I just don’t want him on our team.  

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why would we need WM though?  We have Baer and Goldy, who are similar players.  WM is a redundant piece here.  Heck, that’s why the Leafs refuse to give the kid a long term deal at serious dollars.  He’s nothing special.  Plus, he did the Double Flamingo.  Teammates hate seeing that lack of toughness, and commitment to doing what it takes to help your mates.  The guy literally chickened out!  

I do respect him for standing up for himself in these negotiations.  I just don’t want him on our team.  

In your opinion the team has enough scorers? There are many players that don't block shots

Looks to me like Kapenen is doing a pretty good job filling in for Nylander.  Don't think he wins this battle by sitting out.  So I would not be surprised to see him moved.  But would he be moved for defensive help or futures?  My instinct is they would want a couple prospects they can play on their elc for a couple years. Looks like they have most of their core in place.  And most of their money earmarked.   

Which team says no to this trade ?

Juolevi and Virtanen ( 2 cheap contracts)

for Nylander.

Other than Elmer having to swallow his ego a little...I would make this trade from a Canucks perspective.

I think Nylander fits our timeline perfectly, and we would have a top 6 built around

EP  Nylander

Bo   Brock

Would put the pressure on Hughes to become that #1 PP Dman

Can always get a goalie

Can always fill bottom 6 (in good shape there)

Can always fill 3 thru 6 on D...(already have those players).

If could ever acquire a top pair Dman for one of next 2 1st rounders...we'd be on the way.

Elmer needs to find a way to bring in a Top 6/Top 2 D type talent.

On 2018-10-16 at 7:01 PM, martybyrd said:

for Nylander.

Other than Elmer having to swallow his ego a little...I would make this trade from a Canucks perspective.

I think Nylander fits our timeline perfectly, and we would have a top 6 built around

EP  Nylander

Bo   Brock

Can always get a goalie

If could ever acquire a top pair Dman for one of next 2 1st rounders...we'd be on the way.

While Nylander's skill is, no doubt, very desirable and would, vastly, deepen our top six, I would have a difficult time stomaching the loss of Juolevi and Virtanen. 

Though not a big fan of Juolevi, he does appear to be coming around nicely in Utica. Defense being our biggest weakness, I'd find it odd that JB trades a defensive prospect as promising as Juolevi.

Like Juolevi, Virtanen has taken a while to develop into what we need him to be, but, at least early, he's showing signs of becoming just that.

In both cases, I'm more interested to see them continue developing for our team than another.

Should it come to pass that Nylander gets dealt, I find it very difficult to see Vancouver in the mix without bringing up names like Hughes and Boeser; two players that are, or should be, untouchable.

Unfortunately, imo, we simply lack the depth in our system to be able to afford their asking price which, no doubt, would be substantial; that is, unless, they'd be willing to take aging veterans like Edler (if he were willing to waive), Tanev, and Sutter or depth pieces like Leipsic, Mott, and Granlund. 

Whenever the Nylander saga comes to whatever end, I don't see Vancouver as a serious destination for him. 

the price should be low no Virtanen no Juolevi they can't afford to sign him he will only sign for bank that he hasn't proven he is worth yet. Look at the return Eriksson got now cut that in half and then in half again and you are getting warm. If TO wont sign him then he is worthless to them he can play the season in the SHL or TO can trade him for scrapps those are the options. No GM is gonna overpay TO then overpay Nylander they would be crucified. 

On 10/16/2018 at 7:01 PM, martybyrd said:

for Nylander.

EP  Nylander

Bo   Brock

Can always get a goalie

ABSOLUTELY NO TRADE OF VIRTANEN FOR NYLANDER.

On 2018-10-16 at 10:01 PM, martybyrd said:

for Nylander.

EP  Nylander

Bo   Brock

Can always get a goalie

Toronto doesn’t want futures. It wants now. So Juolevi would be useless to them as he is not developed.

Gudbranson, Tanev or Edler are more appropriate for them.

However, if it’s Juolevi they’d want, then fine. Hughes is the future 1D for this franchise. It also seems like Benning has gotten his footing when drafting defensemen now.

Sportsnet bit on Juolevi

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

the price should be low no Virtanen no Juolevi they can't afford to sign him he will only sign for bank that he hasn't proven he is worth yet. Look at the return Eriksson got now cut that in half and then in half again and you are getting warm. If TO wont sign him then he is worthless to them he can play the season in the SHL or TO can trade him for scrapps those are the options. No GM is gonna overpay TO then overpay Nylander they would be crucified. 

Fair trade price and a bridge contract equals a new start with a Swedish friendly franchise.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

TML would be keeping him on a bridge.

Of course they would. That’s exactly what they want. But with the signing of Tavares, even Kadri who now 3Cs feels vulnerable.

Unless the relationship is irreparable, Nylander is a Leafs. But if that relationship is done, then a trade is the only option not unlike the Drouin and Tyrris trades.

21 hours ago, komodo0921 said:

eacWhile Nylander's skill is, no doubt, very desirable and would, vastly, deepen our top six, I would have a difficult time stomaching the loss of Juolevi and Virtanen. 

Though not a big fan of Juolevi, he does appear to be coming around nicely in Utica. Defense being our biggest weakness, I'd find it odd that JB trades a defensive prospect as promising as Juolevi.

Like Juolevi, Virtanen has taken a while to develop into what we need him to be, but, at least early, he's showing signs of becoming just that.

In both cases, I'm more interested to see them continue developing for our team than another.

Should it come to pass that Nylander gets dealt, I find it very difficult to see Vancouver in the mix without bringing up names like Hughes and Boeser; two players that are, or should be, untouchable.

Unfortunately, imo, we simply lack the depth in our system to be able to afford their asking price which, no doubt, would be substantial; that is, unless, they'd be willing to take aging veterans like Edler (if he were willing to waive), Tanev, and Sutter or depth pieces like Leipsic, Mott, and Granlund. 

Whenever the Nylander saga comes to whatever end, I don't see Vancouver as a serious destination for him. 

First of all Toronto doesn't have the cap space going forward for a Boeser period. Second Toronto is looking for a top pairing defenseman  that would be serviceable for 4 or 5 years. Tanev could be a piece in the trade along with lets say Brisebois and a forward lets say Baertschi  . This would give Toronto all they would need out of the trade.

This is armchair GM country, so.......what if TML tell others to offer sheet WN and pay the NHL price. How much would WN cost ?

Assuming that WN wants a 7 year term: 7 x 6m = 2 x 1st, 1 x 2nd, 1x 3rd ( total amount, $ 42m divided by 5......not 7 ).

x 7m =  same as  ^^^^^^^^^

x 8m =  4 x 1st.

No thanks !!!!!

37 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

First of all Toronto doesn't have the cap space going forward for a Boeser period. Second Toronto is looking for a top pairing defenseman  that would be serviceable for 4 or 5 years. Tanev could be a piece in the trade along with lets say Brisebois and a forward lets say Baertschi  . This would give Toronto all they would need out of the trade.

First of all, I don't believe Nylander's going anywhere. Any names mentioned are merely examples used in the spirit of the post.

Toronto controls Nylander's  rights for the foreseeable future and look to be bound and determined to keep him. They are under no pressure to sign him and seem to be able and willing to wait him out.

My interest doesn't lay in where Nylander ends up as much as in the precedence this situation could set for other RFA's holding out in the future. 

20 hours ago, Me_ said:

Toronto doesn’t want futures. It wants now. So Juolevi would be useless to them as he is not developed.

Gudbranson, Tanev or Edler are more appropriate for them.

However, if it’s Juolevi they’d want, then fine. Hughes is the future 1D for this franchise. It also seems like Benning has gotten his footing when drafting defensemen now.

Sportsnet bit on Juolevi

I really hope OJ is off the table. 

I don't really want to see it, but one idea that makes some sense to me is Guddy and Dahlen for Nylander. TO gets things they need in current d and future scoring depth, we get scoring.

I do think as this drags on there is pressure for Dubas to act. Fans turn on players quickly, and WN is a pretty big asset to not turn into some desperately needed back end help. 

Archived