The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pronman Rates Prospects #2 - Rebuild Done?

Provost

22 minutes ago, Pete M said:

Yeah, the Rome hit or was it the Torres hit... really woke up the Bruins...still believe the lose of Hamhuis in game 1 was the dagger that slayed the dragon...any team losing their best defenceman is a tough position to fill...Hamhuis was arguably their best dman (they had a few good ones, who were also playing hurt).

Hamhuis out was a killer. Honestly though the moment that sticks out to me was Thomas drilling Henrik. That was the end. 

4 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

Hamhuis out was a killer. Honestly though the moment that sticks out to me was Thomas drilling Henrik. That was the end. 

Losing Malhotra and Hamhuis was too much for the team to come back from. The Bruins seemed to be given carte blanche to do whatever they saw fit to do to the Canucks. 

31 minutes ago, BabychStache said:

I still don't understand how that isn't interference.  If a player did that to the goalie, it's a penalty for sure.

6 hours ago, ilduce39 said:

It would have been a nice feel good moment but I seriously doubt it would have helped them win.  

Trying to out-goon the Bruins would have been the dumbest strategy if you actually want to win.

Yah laying down and turning turtle helped to. 

We can say this excuse or that excuse to the reasons for losing in 2011 but the bottom line is that we scored the LEAST AMOUNT OF GOALS IN NHL HISTORY in a final! This is with 2 HOFers IN THEIR PRIME!

3/32 on the PP!

No one dug down deep to go above and beyond to win a Fr*&&^$N STANLEY CUP! Game 7 was pitiful with a shutout. Brutal!

34 minutes ago, EdgarM said:

We can say this excuse or that excuse to the reasons for losing in 2011 but the bottom line is that we scored the LEAST AMOUNT OF GOALS IN NHL HISTORY in a final! This is with 2 HOFers IN THEIR PRIME!

3/32 on the PP!

No one dug down deep to go above and beyond to win a Fr*&&^$N STANLEY CUP! Game 7 was pitiful with a shutout. Brutal!

What proof do you have to support this. The whole team was injured. A good many required off season surgery. Lack of goals does not equal no one digging down. Kesler was injured since the Nashville series, Samuelsson barely survived the San Jose series, Hammer went down in the Boston series, Raymond was bent in half. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

43 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Wasn't aware this was a 2011 playoffs discussion thread.

We should be discussing the 2021 playoff run. The one where Bo, Boeser, Pettersson and the Hughes brothers lead us to the big show.

Who will be our goal tender?

2 hours ago, vannuck59 said:

Yah laying down and turning turtle helped to. 

Believe what you want but that we took the penalty after the speed bag shows how ridiculous the reffing situation had become.  If the twins retaliated it’s more likely the refs would have waited while Thornton sharpened the end of his stick into a point and drove it though Danny’s kidney... and then given us a delay of game for bleeding out at center ice. 

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

Maybe.  Or cross-checking Marchand could have landed them in the press box next to Rome, in addition to the losses of Hamhuis, Malhotra, Raymond, Rome. and hobbling Kesler, Edler, Ehrhoff....  Regardless, you or I may have smashed Marchand in the face, but it wasn't their nature and can't really be expected of them - and the team wasn't really built to beat Boston at their game in any event.  They needed to dictate possession, which they could no longer do.  I'm not sure any 'inspiration' was going to change that.  If you're in a SCF and need 'inspiration'.....

Recall that earlier in game 3 or 4, Marchand was all gloves up in Danny's face after the whistle.  Danny swatted his hand away.  Both got sent to the box. 

Marchand literally got away with whatever he wanted to that series, free from the refs or Canucks, and he knew it.  That's why the speed-bag.

6 hours ago, N7Nucks said:

What proof do you have to support this. The whole team was injured. A good many required off season surgery. Lack of goals does not equal no one digging down. Kesler was injured since the Nashville series, Samuelsson barely survived the San Jose series, Hammer went down in the Boston series, Raymond was bent in half. Those are just the ones off the top of my head.

Samuelsson was injured in the Nashville series. Kesler took a second injury against SJ.

Higgins playing on a broken foot, Edler with two broken fingers, Ehrhoff shoulder injury in SJ, Bieksa bruised acl, and Henrik with a back injury. They went as far as calling Baumgartner to come back from a Hawaii in case they needed him for game 7 as I recall. The forwards were in bad shape and the D was beat to crap.

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Recall that earlier in game 3 or 4, Marchand was all gloves up in Danny's face after the whistle.  Danny swatted his hand away.  Both got sent to the box. 

Marchand literally got away with whatever he wanted to that series, free from the refs or Canucks, and he knew it.  That's why the speed-bag.

You cut to the point. No one could watch that series and not realize the NHL were desperate for at minimum a 7 game series and most likely a Boston win. I will never forget the straight face debate on HNIC about the late 0.2 second hit by Rome on Horton. The only media guy with any class on that was Don Cherry. Mike Gillis called it for what it was and was fined I believe.  

Playoff hockey.

Nothing better; no whistles. The players play old-school, warrior-type hockey. That’s Hockey and I want no other version. 

Too bad the Canuck teams who won Prez Trinkets weren’t build for it. Their “leaders” didn’t have the constitution for it. Relying on the PP, during the SCF, strategy was a predictable disaster. 

Make all the excuses you like, but it’s called the ‘toughest to win trophy in all of sports’ for good reason. 

Archived