The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pronman Rates Prospects #2 - Rebuild Done?

Provost

On 2018-08-30 at 9:53 AM, Provost said:

I think people get blinded by the Jack Hughes idea.

We can be one of the worst teams in the league again and almost certainly won’t get him.  We are dramatically more likely to pick in the 3-10 range after an awful season.

The cost of doing that is burning another year of Boeser and Pettersons’s cheap contracts for nothing.  It also cements our position as a bad organization to sign with, and require overpayments to UFAs to fill holes (as evidenced by this year’s signings).  That doesn’t seem worth moving from a mid round pick to a #5 pick.

Exactly. Let's make a play for Karlsson.

27 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

I think people get blinded by the Jack Hughes idea.

We can be one of the worst teams in the league again and almost certainly won’t get him.  We are dramatically more likely to pick in the 3-10 range after an awful season.

The cost of doing that is burning another year of Boeser and Pettersons’s cheap contracts for nothing.  It also cements our position as a bad organization to sign with, and require overpayments to UFAs to fill holes (as evidenced by this year’s signings).  That doesn’t seem worth moving from a mid round pick to a #5 pick.

I think people get  blinded by any chance to get the first over all pick. People had Dahlin , the defenseman, penciled into our starting lineup every day from the end of the season  before the draft. Drafting a competitive team takes time and patience and this fan base does not have a history of being patient. JB is rebuilding the entire team. It takes more than three drafts. Also there are many great players coming up in this years draft as it is expected to be deep again

27 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Exactly. Let's make a play for Karlsson.

No play for the one legged Defenceman prima donna. We have a better younger version of him in Hughes. Why would you want to give him 11 mill? tie our hands at signing Brock etc. NO thank you. Bad idea.

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

I think people get  blinded by any chance to get the first over all pick. People had Dahlin , the defenseman, penciled into our starting lineup every day from the end of the season  before the draft. Drafting a competitive team takes time and patience and this fan base does not have a history of being patient. JB is rebuilding the entire team. It takes more than three drafts. Also there are many great players coming up in this years draft as it is expected to be deep again

No play for the one legged Defenceman prima donna. We have a better younger version of him in Hughes. Why would you want to give him 11 mill? tie our hands at signing Brock etc. NO thank you. Bad idea.

- He is literally the opposite of a prima donna.

-  The reports are that he is entirely healthy and any trade would include a full medical clearance as per normal procedure.

-  Hughes has never played a professional hockey game at any level.  Suggesting that he is a better version of the best defenceman in the league for the last decade and a multiple Norris trophy winner makes you just sound foolish.

-  If Hughes actually turned out to be the best defenceman in the league (he wasn’t even considered the best defenceman in his draft)... we would be in amazing shape if we had Karlssson as well and field the best D corps in the league.  Your logic seems to be that two top D would be bad?

-  An $11 million or so contract for Karlsson has no impact on signing our young guys.  Projecting forward we have plenty of cap space for years even if our prospects all turn out to be all-stars. 

4 hours ago, Provost said:

-  The reports are that he is entirely healthy and any trade would include a full medical clearance as per normal procedure.

-  Hughes has never played a professional hockey game at any level.  Suggesting that he is a better version of the best defenceman in the league for the last decade and a multiple Norris trophy winner makes you just sound foolish.

-  If Hughes actually turned out to be the best defenceman in the league (he wasn’t even considered the best defenceman in his draft)... we would be in amazing shape if we had Karlssson as well and field the best D corps in the league.  Your logic seems to be that two top D would be bad?

-  An $11 million or so contract for Karlsson has no impact on signing our young guys.  Projecting forward we have plenty of cap space for years even if our prospects all turn out to be all-stars. 

I love this entire post but that line in particular defines why I endorse chasing EK at this stage of the rebuild. Imagine if Hughes crushes it and follows in the footsteps of a 28 year old all-world defender. By the time Hughes hits his proverbial peak, we could have the most dangerous one two punch in the league. OMFG with our stable of forwards filling out the way they are, we would be seriously dangerous. All the best teams have a stud defender. I know it's a pipe deam but from a fantasy perspective I've been all in on getting into the Karlsson race since day 1.

13 hours ago, Provost said:

He is bailing on an organization that he started with, paid him pretty well, has had issues with other players and their wives.,No thanks

He has has injury issues and that makes me question his longevity. No Thanks

We would have to give up what in the way of prospects to get him? Boeser? Hughes? Petterson? No thanks

Plenty of Cap space for now, but in three years as we need to re sign the Pettersons Dahlens, Demkos, Linds, Horvats, Boesers, we will need the space.No thanks.

9 hours ago, bad alice french said:

HOMER!!!

....Wow, that's some prediction.

I might be a bit of a homer, this is a Canucks board after all, but I think my posts haven't been overly biased over the years.I call it the way I see it.I want to see what this bunch of prospects can do and become. I am not willing to give up the future for Karlsson now. That's the basics of my argument.

59 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

He is bailing on an organization that he started with, paid him pretty well, has had issues with other players and their wives.,No thanks

He has has injury issues and that makes me question his longevity. 

Those are just ludicrous spins with very little attachment in truth.

It is Ottawa, the organization is bailing on him just like it has every other star player it has ever had.  They take hometown discounts and the owner pockets it instead of putting it into icing a more competitive team.  The owner has publicly said he plans on doing it again by reducing payroll to the floor.  The TEAM has been shopping him around for a year.  He has overplayed his contract value for them his entire career, he owes them nothing.

He didn’t have issues with another player’s wife.  Someone had an issue with him and his wife.  They wished his child dead and cheered that it was stillborn. Even after hundreds of harassing messages they still didn’t make it public.  The media found out via court records.  The telling point about who is the problem is that all the other player wives publicly supported the Karlsson’s and said how great and classy they were... and made it clear the other person was jealous and horrible.

It is fine for you to not want to trade for him, but your twisting of facts and reasoning is deeply flawed.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

Those are just ludicrous spins with very little attachment in truth.

It is Ottawa, the organization is bailing on him just like it has every other star player it has ever had.  They take hometown discounts and the owner pockets it instead of putting it into icing a more competitive team.  The owner has publicly said he plans on doing it again by reducing payroll to the floor.  The TEAM has been shopping him around for a year.  He has overplayed his contract value for them his entire career, he owes them nothing.

He didn’t have issues with another player’s wife.  Someone had an issue with him and his wife.  They wished his child dead and cheered that it was stillborn. Even after hundreds of harassing messages they still didn’t make it public.  The media found out via court records.  The telling point about who is the problem is that all the other player wives publicly supported the Karlsson’s and said how great and classy they were... and made it clear the other person was jealous and horrible.

It is fine for you to not want to trade for him, but your twisting of facts and reasoning is deeply flawed.

You conveniently leave out what we would have to pay for him. Twisting your narrative. Its fine if you want to trade for him . I am glad Benning doesa not have your ear.

Regardless of what the media has portrayed he is part of a controversy in Ottawa and I would prefer we steer clear of it.

I personally have no ill will or animosity towards Erik Karlsson. He is one of the best at his position. That being said; I would not trade for him. We would likely have to give up a number of top end players / prospects and draft picks to acquire his services and I think given where we are at in the rebuild; it would be a step backwards.

11 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

You conveniently leave out what we would have to pay for him. Twisting your narrative. Its fine if you want to trade for him . I am glad Benning doesa not have your ear.

Regardless of what the media has portrayed he is part of a controversy in Ottawa and I would prefer we steer clear of it.

Not wanting to give up the assets needed to get Karlsson is a reasonable stance. 

Saying you don't want Karlsson because he and his girlfriend were harassed by a teammate's fiance makes you sound dumb. 

3 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Not wanting to give up the assets needed to get Karlsson is a reasonable stance. 

Saying you don't want Karlsson because he and his girlfriend were harassed by a teammate's fiance makes you sound dumb. 

Saying i don't believe Karlsson and his wife were victims isn't dumb. I don't believe they were totally innocent in that controversy. I would rather we avoid it. Thanks for playing along.

Just now, mikeyman109 said:

Saying i don't believe Karlsson and his wife were victims isn't dumb. I don't believe they were totally innocent in that controversy. I would rather we avoid it. Thanks for playing along.

Considering the controversy's fiance is currently getting ready to start training camp in Florida, I'd say it wouldn't be an issue if Karlsson was in Vancouver. So yeah, that's a dumb reason to not want a franchise defenseman when there are many legitimate reasons why Karlsson isn't a good fit for Vancouver at this moment. 

1 minute ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Considering the controversy's fiance is currently getting ready to start training camp in Florida, I'd say it wouldn't be an issue if Karlsson was in Vancouver. So yeah, that's a dumb reason to not want a franchise defenseman when there are many legitimate reasons why Karlsson isn't a good fit for Vancouver at this moment. 

Considering thats what the media told you and you believe it hook line and sinker.

Just because they traded Hoffman doesnt mean that Karlsson and his wife were innocent in it.

This is a moot argument I am done with it. If you want to insult people I am done with talking to you. You are ignorant and foolishly believe everything the media tells you.

20 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Read the damn thread, literally no one is advocating paying the price in trade you are suggesting.

The bulk of proposals suggest Juolevi and a protected 2020 1st as the main pieces going the other way.  Not Petterson, Hughes, Horvat, Demko, etc.

As for salary cap, it would take ALL our prospects becoming elite all-stars and winning major league awards to create a cap crunch in the foreseeable future. We ha e plenty of expiring veteran contracts and a solid pipeline of prospects who will be filtered in on cheap ELC contracts to make up for RFA signings.

Boeser is the only big ticket looming and he is likely only in the $7 million dollar range IF he takes another step this season and signs long term.  

We could fit Karlsson AND Ryan going forward and still not have an issue with cap space.

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Considering thats what the media told you and you believe it hook line and sinker.

Just because they traded Hoffman doesnt mean that Karlsson and his wife were innocent in it.

This is a moot argument I am done with it. If you want to insult people I am done with talking to you. You are ignorant and foolishly believe everything the media tells you.

I'm basing my opinion off court documents and Karlsson seeming to have the support of his teammates and their significant others. 

Do you have any proof for what your claiming? Because surely, you must. 

Just now, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm basing my opinion off court documents and Karlsson seeming to have the support of his teammates and their significant others. 

Do you have any proof for what your claiming? Because surely, you must. 

Again I am done woith this argument. Rarely are these things completely one sided.

Archived