Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pronman Rates Prospects #2 - Rebuild Done?


Provost

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Soon to be buried behind a paywall.  Some will pay for it as they actually enjoy his snark, but at least it won't be as easily spread around.

 

Maybe they can get the entire CanucksmArmy crowd camped behind it, too.  Keep the worst of the stenches concentrated in one pit, with a decent lid on it.

Biech has been named new Managing Editor of CA with JD Burke (mercifully) leaving... I have some faith he'll be able to right that ship a bit as he has a FAR more balanced and thoughtful approach IMO. Still a bit more of a pie chart leaning than I'd likely prefer (not that stats/analsys - when done properly - aren't important) but hopefully he can steer the ship towards more balanced and less dramatic/tabloid style coverage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The foundation of the rebuild is complete with Utica having a glut of great talent filling their roster with many more to come. The next few years will have a trickle of these young players earn their way to the big club through heavy competition, ensuring quality at the top and trade bait for some juicy draft picks or cup run depth.

 

A new golden age for the Canucks is coming, with the golden boy Pettersson at the forefront of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It’s a lot easier to keep putting off having to get good and make the playoffs. 

 

We have to improve big time. 

Why would Bo Horvat want to stay here if we keep losing.

Coz he doesn’t have a choice until he reach free agency when he’s 25? If we are still bad by then then we have a problem 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It’s a lot easier to keep putting off having to get good and make the playoffs. 

 

We have to improve big time. 

Why would Bo Horvat want to stay here if we keep losing.

I wouldn't worry about it to much.  His current contract has 5 more years on it. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We probably won't do well next year with it being a development year and being without the Sedins production.

 

Another top 5 pick isn't out of the picture.

 

After next season I can see us trending upward slowly. The biggest thing for me is how long it takes for our defense to establish themselves and a goalie to step up. Forwards are a lot more capable of jumping in and contributing much earlier than a defenseman.

 

The only D I expect that could possibly establish himself quickly is Hughes. Juolevi is a maybe and everyone else is gonna take some time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

We probably won't do well next year with it being a development year and being without the Sedins production.

 

Another top 5 pick isn't out of the picture.

 

After next season I can see us trending upward slowly. The biggest thing for me is how long it takes for our defense to establish themselves and a goalie to step up. Forwards are a lot more capable of jumping in and contributing much earlier than a defenseman.

 

The only D I expect that could possibly establish himself quickly is Hughes. Juolevi is a maybe and everyone else is gonna take some time.

Hughes wont be here this year and Juolevi looked pretty good last night. If he can get back into top shape after the back surgery i think he might be able to crack the roster.

This year we may exceed expectations. I dont see us making the playoffs but we will be better than last year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

47 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Hughes wont be here this year and Juolevi looked pretty good last night. If he can get back into top shape after the back surgery i think he might be able to crack the roster.

This year we may exceed expectations. I dont see us making the playoffs but we will be better than last year.

I know. I was referring to when Hughes does make the jump that he will make more of an immediate impact compared to our other D.

 

Juolevi looked good last night against kids, yeah. I await how he fares against NHL caliber talent.

 

I don't see us doing much better than we were last year. As a matter of fact, I feel that we could be worse.

 

We are without the Sedin's 100 points and I don't expect us to have replaced that kind of productivity as soon as this year. What we have added has either not been brought in to replace that offensive productivity(Roussel/Beagle) or isn't expected to replace it immediately as a rookie(Pettersson/Gaudette).

 

I see us drafting top 10 again. Hopefully in the top 3.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I know. I was referring to when Hughes does make the jump that he will make more of an immediate impact compared to our other D.

 

Juolevi looked good last night against kids, yeah. I await how he fares against NHL caliber talent.

 

I don't see us doing much better than we were last year. As a matter of fact, I feel that we could be worse.

 

We are without the Sedin's 100 points and I don't expect us to have replaced that kind of productivity as soon as this year. What we have added has either not been brought in to replace that offensive productivity(Roussel/Beagle) or isn't expected to replace it immediately as a rookie(Pettersson/Gaudette).

 

I see us drafting top 10 again. Hopefully in the top 3.

I disagree. The Sedins 100 points should not be that difficult to make up. The players expected to make up the 100 points are not Beagle and Rousell as you say. However i do expect Horvat, Boeser Virtanen and any combination of Petterson, Baertschi,Gaudette that makes the team to be able to out up better numbers this year.

Horvat will start with more offensive zone face offs and that means Boeser will also. I would expect more goals from that alone.  The power play would be dangerous with Boeser on one side and Petterson on the other. That shot last night for the first goal was as good as any.

Secondly i believe we will be better defensively than last year. No more floating Sedin back checks. The additions of Beagle and Rousell give Green options for defensive zone draws. Sutter can also take draws in the D zone. Win more faceoffs, have more puck possession. Thats a winning formula.

Thirdly I believe the whole team playing the speed game that Green wants to play pushing the pace and keeping the pressure on the oppositions D could result in more power plays and this will translate into more points.

I am not saying we make the playoffs, however we will be more competitive this season. I see us drafting around 10th unless we win the lottery. Its a deep draft again this year and a first line center may be available where we draft.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I disagree. The Sedins 100 points should not be that difficult to make up. The players expected to make up the 100 points are not Beagle and Rousell as you say. However i do expect Horvat, Boeser Virtanen and any combination of Petterson, Baertschi,Gaudette that makes the team to be able to out up better numbers this year.

Horvat will start with more offensive zone face offs and that means Boeser will also. I would expect more goals from that alone.  The power play would be dangerous with Boeser on one side and Petterson on the other. That shot last night for the first goal was as good as any.

Secondly i believe we will be better defensively than last year. No more floating Sedin back checks. The additions of Beagle and Rousell give Green options for defensive zone draws. Sutter can also take draws in the D zone. Win more faceoffs, have more puck possession. Thats a winning formula.

Thirdly I believe the whole team playing the speed game that Green wants to play pushing the pace and keeping the pressure on the oppositions D could result in more power plays and this will translate into more points.

I am not saying we make the playoffs, however we will be more competitive this season. I see us drafting around 10th unless we win the lottery. Its a deep draft again this year and a first line center may be available where we draft.

11

Sure if we stay healthy but that isn't gonna happen with this team. People seem to forget that fact. One key injury to any key forward then we're in a bad spot again. Hell even if we lose a guy like Sutter we will be feeling it. I do not think that we are much deeper than we were last year in terms of NHL depth, we are pretty much the same, maybe worse. Our bottom 6 got better and our top 6 might have gotten worse and has some what ifs. Our AHL depth will be a lot better so call-ups won't ever be an issue.

 

We will be faster yeah but we still have some hills to climb. We haven't made any changes on the defensive end and are possibly bringing a rookie Dman in Juolevi. We have 2 top 4 defenseman only. Our Goalies are capable of crapping themselves nevermind our crap d-core atm. We will eventually lose either Tanev or Edler and when we do things will get ugly. 

 

I feel it would be difficult to make up for the loss of the Sedins considering that everything relies on all the dominos falling together perfectly and it doesn't happen. Not everyone is going to make strides and we will need everyone too in order to make up for that kind of production. Don't get me wrong, I hope that our team can because that means everything is working out and every young player is making strides, but it just doesn't seem that realistic. 

 

Overall I feel that it is going to be another development year. Young guys from Utica are going to be in and out of here when injuries hit. If we stay healthy then yeah we will be better.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

I disagree. The Sedins 100 points should not be that difficult to make up.

Nor will overcoming the negatives that came with them, most particularly once they lost possession that they would get trapped in their own end, often resulting in a goal, extended pressure, or penalty taken.  Distributing their 74% o-zone starts and their prime PP1 time to others will help as well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Nor will overcoming the negatives that came with them, most particularly once they lost possession that they would get trapped in their own end, often resulting in a goal, extended pressure, or penalty taken.  Distributing their 74% o-zone starts and their prime PP1 time to others will help as well.

This i agree with. They were fantastic when starting in the O zone with the puck but when they lost the face off or possession all hell broke loose. They had a lot of goals scored on them 5 on 5 as well. I look forward to seeing what happens this year when the players are all asked to skate back to their own end as fast as they skate to the other end.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

Nor will overcoming the negatives that came with them, most particularly once they lost possession that they would get trapped in their own end, often resulting in a goal, extended pressure, or penalty taken.  Distributing their 74% o-zone starts and their prime PP1 time to others will help as well.

 

1 hour ago, mikeyman109 said:

This i agree with. They were fantastic when starting in the O zone with the puck but when they lost the face off or possession all hell broke loose. They had a lot of goals scored on them 5 on 5 as well. I look forward to seeing what happens this year when the players are all asked to skate back to their own end as fast as they skate to the other end.

Bingo!  5 on 5, Daniel and Henrik were a net big liability.  The only reason they stayed around as long as they did was that they could convert on the power play. Defensively, they made Goldobin look like a genius, especially as he improved toward the end of the season.  What will be missed from them is their power play prowess, even if it was diminishing over time.  What won't be missed is the lazy skates back to the bench after the puck was turned over in the offensive zones resulting in odd man situations in the defensive zone.  They were the best Canucks of all time, but they had some serious flaws in their game still, and the changing game as well as age was only making that worse.

 

Overall, it's quite possible that we'll be a better team overall without them.  I've been a big fan of theirs over the years, but I think they made the right move pulling the plug when they did.  All of those sheltered minutes will look good on guys like Dahlen and Pettersson, and I don't think our power play will suffer too much with guys like that coming up this year.  Of course, I think we'll really make some strides when Hughes is ready to man the point on the power play.

 

In the end, to respond to the question in the OP, I don't think the rebuild is 100% complete, but one could argue it's not done until there's a parade in town.  There's an outside chance we make the playoffs next year and I think a similar chance of a top 5 pick as well.  I think we'll have turned a corner and be somewhere in the middle - at least I think that's the most likely scenario.  Our depth is much better than the past, even if we have a lack of NHL experience in places.  Recently, the team has started very well and then taken a nose dive as injuries pile up.  This time around I think we'll start slower but pick up as the season progresses.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/5/2018 at 10:14 AM, 189lb enforcers? said:

This franchise has been a circus act for most of this century. 

No more drama, please.

A6DAF0E8-A66D-403C-94C5-9889B1A0FB74.gif.294147fb49ce3d3c84d8f977e6f37a75.gif

 

reminds me of a good quote..."if you elect a clown, then you should expect a circus"....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...