The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Hanifin 6Yr, 4.95 AAV

Al-mo

Could be a steal but he needs to take another big step in his development. He hasn't show he can play defense at the NHL level. His offensive game on the other hand has been far more developed than you would expect at this age.

But since he's a flame, I hope it doesn't work out lol

14 minutes ago, BCNeil said:

That's a really good signing.  Flames could surprise people this year.  

Theyre relying on a 37 year old netminder to play 60ish games and an inexperienced backup. An injury to Smith and there goes the playoffs for them.

29 minutes ago, Odd. said:

Theyre relying on a 37 year old netminder to play 60ish games and an inexperienced backup. An injury to Smith and there goes the playoffs for them.

Yep, he'll get hurt too. Mind I'd rather have him than Marky.

I still can't believe we went from Loui ans Sneids to this crap.

One downside to that is that I think that is a term that makes him a UFA when it is done.

A shorter deal would make him still an RFA under club control when it expires, a longer one is buying into his UFA years.

It isn’t often you see that term length coming off ELCs as it is more likely to be a bridge deal or s max term deal.

I don't think I would've given him this contract just yet, but I would think that Calgary simply gave into his demands. It'll be interesting if he lives up to his contract. He isn't overly physical and hasn't shown much defensively (-14, -19, -20), but he has slowly trended up offensively (22, 29, 32 points). We will see if the defensive side of his game improves from leaving Carolina, but he wasn't used in a PK role at all last season and having the Calgary goalie tandem may not help.

I would say they simply got a younger Dougie Hamilton and for about 800k cheaper and hoping he can eventually out-produce him (45-50 points is Hamilton's average of late). I personally would've bridged him for a couple of years to see if he can even match Hamilton's output, although if he can then it would look like a decent deal.

Archived