The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nhl network top 50 prospects includes 4 canucks

cuporbust

Just read the top 50 prospects list posted this evening on nhl.com and we have two in the top 10 

https://www.nhl.com/news/nhl-tonight-lists-best-prospects-on-way-to-nhl/c-299890068

1. Rasmus Dahlin

2. Andrei Svechnikov

3. Elias Pettersson 

4. Miro Hieskanen

5. Casey Mittelstadt

6. Filip Zedina

7. Eeli Tolvanen

8. Cale Makar

9. Quinn Hughes 

10. Kirill Kaprizov

Other notables are Juolevi at 33, and Gaudette at 50 . I was actually very suprised to see Gaudette that low , but still excited to see we are on the map in a big way. Not agreeing with the Makar rating either . 

I'd take Elias Pettersson at 2 & Quinn Hughes at 3 honestly. The only prospect I'd rather have would be Dahlin but other than that I honestly wouldn't take any other prospect they're listing ahead of Pettersson and Hughes (in that order). Heiskanen is severly overrated imo - I'd take Makar, mittlestadt & Tolvanen over him, and I'd rank Hughes over any of them, so to me it's Dahlin, Pettersson then Hughes. I can't say I've seen too many games on any of them but I've seen videos and from what I've seen, that's how I would rank them.

Come at me bro.

Demko continues to be underrated all over the place. Guess he's too old to be excited about for a lot of people.

I'm honestly baffled that Dahlin isn't the only guy ahead of Pettersson. Not sure how Svech beat him.

EDIT: I also think Mittelstadt might be too low (I'd put him above Heiskanen). I think he and Pettersson are my top two favourites for the Calder this year.

21 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Demko continues to be underrated all over the place. Guess he's too old to be excited about for a lot of people.

I'm honestly baffled that Dahlin isn't the only guy ahead of Pettersson. Not sure how Svech beat him.

Agreed 

Svechnikov ahead of Pettersson, interesting. Not exactly sure why. I mean, Svech had a nutty draft year so I guess I kinda understand. Being younger and NHL ready is the reasoning? Honestly it's pretty close. If Pettersson can play Center this year, I'd have rather have him as a prospect. But if he is a winger I think it'd be really close. 

10 minutes ago, cuporbust said:

It's actually ridiculous. Other then his size i dont get it . he did nothing close to what Pettersson did at a pro level last season .

Svech is a good prospect,  but he wasnt even top 20 in scoring in the ohl last year . Yes he didnt play a chunk of the year , but wasnt even the top ppg player 

His goal per game was in the franchise player level. His scoring was in stamkos kane, tavares level. Ahead of Hall seguin 

15 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

His goal per game was in the franchise player level. His scoring was in stamkos kane, tavares level. Ahead of Hall seguin 

Ya , i actually just looked at that . Ok , so he had a better year then i thought at first glance lol. Still , could be a very strong argument for Pettersson being the overall better prospect.  

21 minutes ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

Ive said this before as well , the tenth rated league in the world vrs. The third rated league in the world makes a difference. 

Just now, Drive-By Body Pierce said:

This seems like a good time for a friendly bet.. ::D

Will we remember the bet in 3-4 years though? 

I'd guess the writer probably did what I would do if I had to rate 2 players so close in skill-set.  I'd cop out and use draft position as a tie-breaker so I'd have a built-in excuse if I were wrong.

Pettersson is #2, he will make more of an impact than Svech this season and I wouldn't even be surprised if he outshines Dahlin. Call me crazy

I do like Joulevi ranked above Liljegren though.

1 hour ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

absolute criminal the best player in the NCAA or college is number 50.   Unbelievable he's already in the NHL half the players in the top 50 are not.

I hear you. But to be fair- he's 21, not 18 or 19. I'd imagine that's why he's ranked at #50.

Best showing I've ever seen from our prospect pool in a top 50!

Thanks JB

Archived