The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nhl network top 50 prospects includes 4 canucks

cuporbust

The failings of the rankings aren't really anything to get worked up with.  As 48mph Hutton Wink pointed out, it's great to have our prospects underrated.  Many of us have a fair idea of where our prospects rank.  The thing is, there's no point in getting upset with an article that sees things differently.  Likely they looked at some stats on hockeydb or eliteprospects and went from there.  

Then again, this IS CDC, where lynch mobs form over performances in individual games, so I guess in the end, it's whatever floats yer boat.  For me it's a pretty casual thing - there's the writer's list, and there are a few things I think he might be wrong about, but in the end, only time will tell.  What I can say is that if even media hacks are starting to make lists with Canucks prospects overly represented in the top 50, it's a great time to be a Canucks fan.  Especially so many Hobey Baker winners and finalists (and future winners!) and SHL scoring leaders and U20 record holders and character guys who lead their team to advance to the SHL and much more.  It's a glorious time to be a Canucks fan, I've never seen any time like it in terms of prospects.  Now here's hoping they are developed properly to make the transition to the NHL.

4 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

By virtue of the position they play. Pettersson played RW for the most part last year. If he proves he can play C then I would say they are close to being on equal terms, but I'd still slightly favour Dahlin because Dmen are just that valuable to a team. Also to be fair, Pettersson is 1.5 years older than Dahlin. Who's to say what Dahlin can do if he plays next year in the SHL as well, which he won't because he is that good as an 18 year old defenseman.

Pettersson topped Foppa’s best season, Foppa was a winger too.  

If Dahlin can reach Lidstrom like levels then Dahlin wins, but Pettersson has already shown that he is among the best Swedish prospects in a generation. 

Had Forsberg remained healthy, who knows what else he could have achieved.  He was easily the best non goalie player on the Avs over the Stanley runs and years of dominance. 

My cranky point is, Pettersson was the best player in his league last season, where he played against Dahlin.  They were both rookies, and drafted a year apart. 

Did the Swedes get it wrong when they gave Pettersson the MVP award, playoff MVP award etc...?  

This is splitting hairs, but I have to work this Long weekend and it’s Frosh week.  Not fun picking up drunk entitled teenagers who can literally drink themselves into $&!#ting the bed. 

10 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

If Dahlin can reach Lidstrom like levels then Dahlin wins, but Pettersson has already shown that he is among the best Swedish prospects in a generation. 

Had Forsberg remained healthy, who knows what else he could have achieved.  He was easily the best non goalie player on the Avs over the Stanley runs and years of dominance. 

My cranky point is, Pettersson was the best player in his league last season, where he played against Dahlin.  They were both rookies, and drafted a year apart. 

Did the Swedes get it wrong when they gave Pettersson the MVP award, playoff MVP award etc...?  

This is splitting hairs, but I have to work this Long weekend and it’s Frosh week.  Not fun picking up drunk entitled teenagers who can literally drink themselves into $&!#ting the bed. 

Easily the best non-goalie player the Avs had on their cup runs????  Burnaby Joe says high.  Go and check their numbers.  Forsberg was a great player, no argument.  So was Joe.

46 minutes ago, Ray_Cathode said:

Easily the best non-goalie player the Avs had on their cup runs????  Burnaby Joe says high.  Go and check their numbers.  Forsberg was a great player, no argument.  So was Joe.

I was always a fan of Burnaby Joe, but Forsberg was the AVs best player when he was there IMO.  That’s not a knock against Joe.  

If there was one one guy to add to the nucks roster, Foppa all the way. Super clutch, amazing skills and a warrior.  

Out all top Swedes to play in the last 20 years, it’s Lidstrom at number one and Forsberg at number two. 

He is ahead of Sundin, Naslund, the Sedins etc... 

On 9/2/2018 at 5:37 AM, Phat Fingers said:

I was always a fan of Burnaby Joe, but Forsberg was the AVs best player when he was there IMO.  That’s not a knock against Joe.  

If there was one one guy to add to the nucks roster, Foppa all the way. Super clutch, amazing skills and a warrior.  

Out all top Swedes to play in the last 20 years, it’s Lidstrom at number one and Forsberg at number two. 

He is ahead of Sundin, Naslund, the Sedins etc... 

Joe Sakic and his Conn Smythe trophy might say other wise. Both Great players though. 

On ‎9‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 10:29 PM, Phat Fingers said:

Sorry for the late reply. Hope you had fun picking up after them entitled teens :lol:

No that's your prerogative, and it's a fair argument to make but again by virtue of the position, and Dahlin being 1.5 years younger than Pettersson, I still give him more leeway. I also personally value Dmen more than forwards so that's why I would still take Dahlin over Pettersson, but again like I said, I would take Dahlin, Pettersson then Hughes (in that order).

22 hours ago, Vanuckles said:

Sorry for the late reply. Hope you had fun picking up after them entitled teens :lol:

No that's your prerogative, and it's a fair argument to make but again by virtue of the position, and Dahlin being 1.5 years younger than Pettersson, I still give him more leeway. I also personally value Dmen more than forwards so that's why I would still take Dahlin over Pettersson, but again like I said, I would take Dahlin, Pettersson then Hughes (in that order).

Respectable opinion. 

I don’t know who I would pick between the choice of Dahlin and EP40.  Would be one heck of a nice problem to have. 

To me the debate will tighten even further up if EP40 can play center in the NHL in time.  D vs C, both are so important, W is a little less so.  

Here is the kicker. EP40 and Hughes are 5th OA and 7th OA. 

Not too damn bad.  

As for the list. This is a estimated list based on a 5 year or so projection.  

IDK why it irritates me to see AB ranked ahead of Hughes.  In 5 years Hughes will be a mainstay top pairing d man, AB may be one or still be trying to piece it together. 

But if we read it of who is the best atm the whole list is messed up. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎01‎/‎09‎/‎2018 at 2:06 PM, RogersTowell said:

I wonder how they missed Demko?  He's probably more NHL ready than any other goalie on that list and meets their criteria of 25 and under with fewer than 25 games in the NHL. 

There are two more prospect goalies (Rangers and Islanders) ranked above Demko by most scouts.  Samsonov is one, I can't remember the other.

Archived