The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Sportsnet Profile of Nate MacKinnon

skategal

https://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/nathan-mackinnon-colorado-avalanche-profile/

"This summer’s top priority has been injury prevention. If it seems like elite athletes get injured more than you or me, there is obvious reason to this, as O’Brien explains. “Because [elite athletes] can generate so much force, put so much force into the ground, the demands on muscle tissue and connective tissue are greater,” he says. “It’s true of all my NHL clients and, because of his explosive strength, very much the case for Nathan. Muscle tissue that’s built for power isn’t built for resiliency. Injury is a constant concern, especially with Nathan and my other clients who play a lot of minutes and are keyed on by other teams.”

Wonder when they will be doing articles about the off season training for one or more of our stars?  

Why is this kid so unnaturally strong, that his connective tissues can’t tolerate his muscle force?  Why is there this unnatural imbalance?  100 metre sprinters apply ridiculous force to the track, but they have a natural balance between muscle force and ligament strength.  Why does MacKinnon not have this natural balance? 

2 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

So that's the problem. We have too many elite players and that's why we've been so injury prone.

The injury he got against the Canucks when he tried to run Edler, I guess was due to his explosiveness running into a brick wall?

Is that the play where Edler broke his record setting 1000th stick?  :o

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Why is this kid so unnaturally strong, that his connective tissues can’t tolerate his muscle force?  Why is there this unnatural imbalance?  100 metre sprinters apply ridiculous force to the track, but they have a natural balance between muscle force and ligament strength.  Why does MacKinnon not have this natural balance? 

It could be due to over-training.  If you have too much muscle or whatnot, it's possible that you no longer has the flexibility you naturally should.  Thus it is easier to get muscle tears and other tears to other connective tissues.  

I remember Tom Larschied mentioning how Rypien was supposed to get a call up to the Canucks, but he had a tear to his pectoral muscle or something (or maybe that was just the reason used has he have been battle mental issues at that time)..... how over training may have been a cause of it.  

On 9/1/2018 at 8:24 AM, Alflives said:

I wonder if it has correlation to the amount that they train as well?  Sprinters train primarily for that explosive force needed for a sprint, whereas hockey players train for speed, power and endurance which is a bit different.  Also, sprinters aren't as likely to be stopped in their tracks by someone hitting them, or smashing into the boards, or being tripped by another sprinter.  

Archived