The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Victim Mentality - Universities teaching to see bias here there is none

Rob_Zepp

51 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

It is a very strange story and her original statement does not make much sense at all.

I agree that there is more to this story than meets the eye.

This is unrelated but I finally decided to look into that supposed white power symbol including its origins and it's prevalence, after your post yesterday. It seems very much like the Pepe character which was adopted by the alt-right as their symbol. 

A Google search also shows that a few officers in Alabama were suspended for making the OK gesture upside down. I believe the context of the photo and likely a background check probably outed them. But it does make you wonder are we giving these people more power by recognizing this symbol as their's? 

The way symbols have been used in the past does seem to indicate as much. For instance the swastika is a symbol that is thousands of years old. It is still used by many practicing Hinduism, but the world largely recognizes it now as an anti-semitic/Nazi symbol. Just think about it for thousands of years the symbol was recognized as having a spiritual meaning that translates roughly to good fortune or prosperity in the ancient language of Sanskrit. In roughly the last 80 years we have come to recognize it as the symbol of all things evil.

The question is how do we counter such narratives for which solutions seem difficult. We as human beings place certain significance on words and symbols. If the white supremacists decide to adopt the OK symbol as their own, we only feed this narrative by recognizing the symbol as such. Its a catch 22 and they know it. Calling out their use of the symbol as a "white supremacist gesture" essentially allows them to drive home their narrative. 

The only real solution that I can see is taking control of the narrative itself. The creator of Pepe attempted to do by trying to reclaim it. But he could not get enough people to catch on. It reminds me of the South Park episode where in order to stop the kids thinking that their Pokemon action figures are cool, the parents decide they too will pretend that those action figures are cool. Now if only we could get people to not recognize the gesture as a symbol of white power and simultaneously start to bring it back in the mainstream as it's original meaning. Easier said than done.

Sorry about the long winded post. I was bored and just wanted to get my thoughts out.

9 minutes ago, Toews said:

This is unrelated but I finally decided to look into that supposed white power symbol including its origins and it's prevalence, after your post yesterday. It seems very much like the Pepe character which was adopted by the alt-right as their symbol. 

A Google search also shows that a few officers in Alabama were suspended for making the OK gesture upside down. I believe the context of the photo and likely a background check probably outed them. But it does make you wonder are we giving these people more power by recognizing this symbol as their's? 

The way symbols have been used in the past does seem to indicate as much. For instance the swastika is a symbol that is thousands of years old. It is still used by many practicing Hinduism, but the world largely recognizes it now as an anti-semitic/Nazi symbol. Just think about it for thousands of years the symbol was recognized as having a spiritual meaning that translates roughly to good fortune or prosperity in the ancient language of Sanskrit. In roughly the last 80 years we have come to recognize it as the symbol of all things evil.

The question is how do we counter such narratives for which solutions seem difficult. We as human beings place certain significance on words and symbols. If the white supremacists decide to adopt the OK symbol as their own, we only feed this narrative by recognizing the symbol as such. Its a catch 22 and they know it. Calling out their use of the symbol as a "white supremacist gesture" essentially allows them to drive home their narrative. 

The only real solution that I can see is taking control of the narrative itself. The creator of Pepe attempted to do by trying to reclaim it. But he could not get enough people to catch on. It reminds me of the South Park episode where in order to stop the kids thinking that their Pokemon action figures are cool, the parents decide they too will pretend that those action figures are cool. Now if only we could get people to not recognize the gesture as a symbol of white power and simultaneously start to bring it back in the mainstream as it's original meaning. Easier said than done.

Sorry about the long winded post. I was bored and just wanted to get my thoughts out.

I remember reading the story about the narcotics squad down in Jasper AL that got 2 week suspension.

Anti Defamation league claims that O.K sign is some sort of trolling attempt by 4chan users, they published a story about it.

You would think that cops in small down wouldn’t pose for a newspaper photo with WP sign.

In the age of social media, it is easy to spread misinformation and lies.

Back in the 80’s I got one of those handwritten chain letters, that I was supposed to forward to others.

That person actually had to sit down write the letter, and drop it in the mail, today all that can be done with a click of a mouse.

Target audience is so much larger.

As far as your other point about symbols being used and reclaimed to promote hate, it’s complicated issue imo.

Its like some black people have been trying to reclaim and repurpose the N word, I have seen lot of heated debates on this.

In Germany, nazi salute, memorabilia, denial of holocaust etc. is criminal offense.

Is that curbing nazism or making it more attractive since it’s forbidden?

KKK also uses holiest symbol for Christians, Aryan Brotherhood uses shamrock and Viking symbols used by hate groups.

I think they are trying to use these symbols to appear mainstream, “look we are not racists we are just like you”

I don’t mind longer posts, it means that someone took time to think and respond, instead of usual 2-3 word liners, dumb comments and insults.

https://www.adl.org/blog/how-the-ok-symbol-became-a-popular-trolling-gesture

6 hours ago, Toews said:

Don't be sorry brother.

Great post , love the significance you place on language and symbols which is the most common way humans convey ideas,thoughts and feelings to other human beings.

Especially love the south park corellation,many forget or do not even realise the fact that show is Americans mostly taking the piss out of themselves and by extension our species.

The only person I can think of who has taken control of the narrative in both the US and Aus is Rupert Murdoch.

I suggest we start the Humanism Supremacist movement. 

Our symbol could be The Happy Human Symbol.

Archived