The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

To cut someone out of your life or to forgive and move on.. that is the question

Mainly Mattias

I've had several moments of anger and hurt from people's actions wherein I've debated ways on how to deal with the situation: confront, forgive and move on, or walk away.

I go by my gut on when to do any of the above and have walked away from several people.. A friend once commented that one should only do that if one doesn't value the relationship enough to try to save it. For the times I've walked away, I've considered the relationship irreparable and it had nothing to do with the value of the relationship.

Have people had to make that decision for any friend, family or romantic relationships? Any regrets on the decision that you finally made?

i can and have too readily walked away from people and relationships

at the time i felt pretty confident in those decisions

but do realize with time and some maturity that there are always regrets

when things break down both sides share some blame

and the inability to more effectively communicate and resolve things

is a failure all round for those involved

no one comes out ahead or a better person as a result

but i must say heffy\s post does warrant some respect

and perhaps his message might alter that person's behaviour?

When a relationship stops serving any need for you and becomes a chore to maintain then it's time to cut bait and walk away. There are too many wonderful people in the world that you can spend that time building a meaningful connection with than someone who adds nothing to your life. Sticking around due to some misguided sense of loyalty is simply not worth it, it will only cause you unnecessary grief and frustration. Suffice to say I have cut people out of my life and have felt nary a moment of regret.

It depends how close I am to the person. If im really close to them, on a personal level, like we know each others past, what we've been through (I seem to mostly surround myself with people who had similar experiences ive had) and I can take a moment and be like, nah they're better than this, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt once. If it happens again, I'm not playing games. I've been hurt and embarrassed too many times. Take care, bud

If I don't know the person on that deep personal level, but we're pretty good friends I'll still cut bait and move on. I like to think I'm a good judge of people. My friend circle is really small so ive only had to be in this situation maybe three times in my lifetime 

My most recent incident, within tbe past year, I've let them back in to my life  because they wanted to be there and they are working on their own demons and we've been friends since high school.

I'll admit this was probably the first time where I really sat back and second guessed my decision because their original departure, she said some really horrible things to someone in our inner circle, when she was also affected by the things she was saying so said friend. We were all part of some ****ed up **** when we were younger, and more recent events within the past few years.

When I made the call to let her back in I told her to talk to the other friend. I was expecting the other friend to say **** off but she forgave her for the things she said and things kinda just aren't the same anymore. I can see there are improvements with this friend but, I don't know. It's so weird. I feel it's going to be a long rebuilding phase to get back to where we once where. Apologies for the rant o.o

If it were anyone else that's an easy no. Id say it depends on how close you are to the person and how forgivable you are. I'm more of those drop it and move on if I don't know you well enough. I'm a hard person to get to know because I have severe trust issues. I've been hurt and stepped on and sold out many times

8 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Done it to a formerly close friend who insisted on hurling N-bombs at our (black) cab driver one night when he was drunk, despite myself and a mutual friend repeatedly telling him it wasn't acceptable.  Zero regrets.

Wow.... I probably would have clocked him one there if he was my buddy.  

8 hours ago, Mainly Mattias said:

I've had several moments of anger and hurt from people's actions wherein I've debated ways on how to deal with the situation: confront, forgive and move on, or walk away.

I go by my gut on when to do any of the above and have walked away from several people.. A friend once commented that one should only do that if one doesn't value the relationship enough to try to save it. For the times I've walked away, I've considered the relationship irreparable and it had nothing to do with the value of the relationship.

Have people had to make that decision for any friend, family or romantic relationships? Any regrets on the decision that you finally made?

My rule of thumb is if theres ever a question between trying to repair or walk away would be "If I needed help desperately (ie. mental breakdown, etc.) if I called this person and said "I need your help now"" would they drop what they were doing and come see me ASAP or would they delay and slowly do things.  If its the former, no matter how bad things had gotten, it is worth repairing, if its the latter I have walked away from more people than I could count.

10 hours ago, Mainly Mattias said:

yes, and no regrets. You can forgive and also walk away if its something abusive, or just don't put yourself in a position to be harmed or annoyed by the person. Forgiveness is the best route tho, once you do it you don't have to expend any more energy or time thinking about them. Cutting people off takes ongoing work. 

You need to forgive.

Holding grudges is not good for anyone.

My wife was telling me about her great aunts just the other day.  

They were sisters and farmers.  When they were young adults (twenties) one their sons were playing with matches in one of their barns and it burned down.

They each blamed the other and never spoke to one another again - even when on their death beds at 89 years of age...

Another example is 2 ladies that used to be friends and over what I think is a silly incident (husband of one parked his truck in front of one of the barn doors at the IPE here and proceeded to unload lumber for a display and refused to move his truck until he was finished) - that was 10 years ago - and they still don't like each other. 

To me, that's just sad.

11 hours ago, Mainly Mattias said:

confront, forgive and move on

always - it is cleaner, you will sleep better and even if people want to hold whatever they hold against you, forgiveness is a powerful tool that rids you of all kinds of negative emotions.   Life is short - there are a**hol** everywhere, why let them dictate your blood pressure and enjoyment of your life?

I think it doesn't depend on a particular action, but instead to look deeper at the person's character.  Does the action dictate the character of the person or was it just a mistake?  If the character of the person is unsavory then that isn't the kind of person you want to surround yourself with.  If it was a mistake, then perhaps a second chance is in order.  Holding grudges and ill feelings helps nobody (especially yourself) so it really needs to be a decision made without emotions but instead using logic and reason.

I had a best friend since high school and he had some issues but I remained friends with him until such time as he completely left me high and dry.  I realized that such actions were in his me-first character and decided I no longer wanted anything to do with a friend I couldn't depend on.  Ultimately he apologized so I don't really hold ill feelings, but I had no interest in rekindling our friendship.  It was a decision made by understanding his character rather than what he actually did to me. 

That's my advice.

i know it is hard but, i like the old indian prayer. 

great spirit, don't let me judge others until, i've walked a mile in their moccasins. 

i don't like burning bridges. maybe, someday things will look different. they may come and ask for forgiveness, forgiving someone or being forgiven by someone can be powerful medicine. 

i wish, i could get forgiveness from some people, not with us anymore. the other adage is, when you point your finger at someone, there are 3 fingers pointing back at you. 

4 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

It depends how close I am to the person. If im really close to them, on a personal level, like we know each others past, what we've been through (I seem to mostly surround myself with people who had similar experiences ive had) and I can take a moment and be like, nah they're better than this, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt once. If it happens again, I'm not playing games. I've been hurt and embarrassed too many times. Take care, bud

If I don't know the person on that deep personal level, but we're pretty good friends I'll still cut bait and move on. I like to think I'm a good judge of people. My friend circle is really small so ive only had to be in this situation maybe three times in my lifetime 

My most recent incident, within tbe past year, I've let them back in to my life  because they wanted to be there and they are working on their own demons and we've been friends since high school.

I'll admit this was probably the first time where I really sat back and second guessed my decision because their original departure, she said some really horrible things to someone in our inner circle, when she was also affected by the things she was saying so said friend. We were all part of some ****ed up **** when we were younger, and more recent events within the past few years.

When I made the call to let her back in I told her to talk to the other friend. I was expecting the other friend to say **** off but she forgave her for the things she said and things kinda just aren't the same anymore. I can see there are improvements with this friend but, I don't know. It's so weird. I feel it's going to be a long rebuilding phase to get back to where we once where. Apologies for the rant o.o

If it were anyone else that's an easy no. Id say it depends on how close you are to the person and how forgivable you are. I'm more of those drop it and move on if I don't know you well enough. I'm a hard person to get to know because I have severe trust issues. I've been hurt and stepped on and sold out many times

I'm looking to get back with an ex as friends because we were best friends before we even dated and I really miss her. I haven't made the plunge yet, but I'm hoping she'll reconsider.

4 minutes ago, c00kies said:

I'm looking to get back with an ex as friends because we were best friends before we even dated and I really miss her. I haven't made the plunge yet, but I'm hoping she'll reconsider.

I wouldn't do this unless you want future misery. Future lady friends will always find a relationship with a former ex to be a problem. And don't all you birds coming running saying you are the exception to the rule; you aren't. Jealousy is a natural, unavoidable trait especially when you are spending time with former lovers. You will never be able to do anything with this ex without getting the third degree. At some point, if you are serious about a new lady in your life, you will ultimately be forced to choose one over the other.

So give up on the ex.

Not sure what the issue(s) were, but sometimes people tend to blame the other person for taking advantage of them, etc. when what needs to happen is developing better boundaries and limits.  It's easy to blame the other person, but there's two people involved in the situation.

Not saying this is what's going on with you, but I've seen this time and time again......

Archived