The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

GDT - 2018 Canucks' Young Stars Tournament

xereau

9 hours ago, mikeyman109 said:

NCAA players are not allowed to come to camp or go to NHL events. Its against NCAA rules i believe . I could be wrong but i think thats what it is.

It has to do with maintaining his amateur status.  He can't accept any compensation for Canuck events.  Hughes was at the summer event but paid all expenses himself.

As to back to school.  Well, it has started already.  :lol:

1 hour ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

Thanks for the warm welcome! I'm hoping this year things get better for this team. Sure, mate! I'm looking forward to the be part of good discussions in this forum :)

Yes! I absolutely agree. I've been following CDC for some years now, but never got courageous enough to be a member until now (mostly because I thought my hockey lnowledge wasn't even close on a par with some veteran members). But for sure, thisis going to be a nice experience :D

I’m much the same, been reading these boards for years but never had much to say. On the upside, “hockey knowledge” is pretty subjective and it seems to be a pretty good group. Try to stay away from the trolls and you should be fine. 

35 minutes ago, BrazilianCanuck said:

Thanks, Salacious! Your advices are greatly appreciated and will be taken into account right away (good thing is because I live in Brazil, CDC is my main Canucks news source)

I live in Vancouver and CDC is where I've been getting most of my Canucks news for several years now, most Canuck related articles, tweets and videos will be linked in these pages somewhere

10 hours ago, wildcam said:

Will be exciting to follow the Comets  with so many young prospects drafted by Benning group playing there for there 1st year of pro hockey this year..

Joulevi, Gaudette, Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, Jasek, Palmu

You bet...planning a to go see back to back games at some point in Utica, maybe a few away games too.   For me it would be like driving from Vernon down to see the Canucks in Vancouver...been here nine years and never felt the urge to do this until this year, in fact am looking forward to it more than watching the Canucks in OTT and or MTL although that's always a highlight too...

4 hours ago, CanuckleHorse said:

I would add gritty talented Lind with Pettersson for 2 games against Jet rookies..

I think I would stick with Jasek on that line as from what I have read on here he is a bit of a pest / agitator type that takes no crap from anyone plus he obviously has some high end talent to go along with that. I think he is going to surprise a lot of fans at this tournament and into the preseason.

6 hours ago, greetingsfrombrazil said:

Opa, brasileiro haha

It's not geoblocked. I've watched it before in Brazil. If it's on youtube, should be pretty good. Facebook's transmitions tend to be laggy, though

I thought I would be the only BR guy around here, it's nice to see other tupiniquim fellas haha.

Okay, then, guess I can watch the game without major problems.

11 hours ago, Crabcakes said:

It has to do with maintaining his amateur status.  He can't accept any compensation for Canuck events.  Hughes was at the summer event but paid all expenses himself.

As to back to school.  Well, it has started already.  :lol:

Also NCAA players are not allowed to play in any games where another team is involved.

13 hours ago, higgyfan said:

Funny, I was just reading up on 'ol Nando when I noticed your message.  Apparently he's a very good skater (not elite), has great vision and an impressive work ethic.  I've read a few other scouting reports that have similar analysis.

https://lastwordonhockey.com/2018/06/13/nando-eggenberger-scouting-report-2018-nhl-draft-75/

Thanks for that. I read one report that said he has good top speed but his first few strides need work. I know he is not eligible to be signed this season and will go into the draft this coming year. He might impress someone enough to take him high. I hope the kid does well.

1 hour ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm still miffed that Calgary and Edmonton pulled out this year. If ever there was a Young Stars team that could have gone 3 for 3, it was this one.

They only participate when they have a strong prospect pool apparently...

How many years did we go up against the oilers with all their top picks?

On 9/5/2018 at 10:05 AM, Qwags said:

He's decided that NCAA hasn't been crapped on hard enough by Canucks prospects, so he's going to finish the job.

He's going to follow in the footsteps of Boeser and Gaudette. Make the media sh*t their pants and then sign afterwards.

3 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I'm still miffed that Calgary and Edmonton pulled out this year. If ever there was a Young Stars team that could have gone 3 for 3, it was this one.

Technically you should be miffed at the Canucks organization for the Oilers and Flames pulling out.

Apparently, the Albertan teams (reasonably) asked to have the tournament every other year in Alberta (Red Deer), and the Canucks said no.  So the Albertan teams decided to have their own tournament.  I'm not sure why the Canucks seem to think that everyone else should have to come to them each year.

33 minutes ago, Saved_by_Jesus said:

Technically you should be miffed at the Canucks organization for the Oilers and Flames pulling out.

Apparently, the Albertan teams (reasonably) asked to have the tournament every other year in Alberta (Red Deer), and the Canucks said no.  So the Albertan teams decided to have their own tournament.  I'm not sure why the Canucks seem to think that everyone else should have to come to them each year.

The Canucks have to travel more than any other team in the NHL due to their location. Let us stay home while we can!

I think the tournament is a lot of risk for little real reward.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the young guns playing together in real games.

But an injury to key prospects like McJesus or Pettersson would be a disaster.

The teams always include a few guys to keep everyone "honest".

But these same guys pretty well know their only chance is to show just how physical they can be.

3 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think the tournament is a lot of risk for little real reward.

Don't get me wrong, I love seeing the young guns playing together in real games.

But an injury to key prospects like McJesus or Pettersson would be a disaster.

The teams always include a few guys to keep everyone "honest".

But these same guys pretty well know their only chance is to show just how physical they can be.

There is always going to be some risk when a player steps on the ice; be it at a tournament, preseason or regular season. There is some reward for the management team as they will quickly notice those that "play the right way" and those that are just out for a skate. Tournaments are no different than the preseason or regular season in that almost every team has one or two nastier players that may rough up and possibly injure one of your star players. Coaches are usually aware of those players that are on other teams and may choose to limit exposure to them by young star players until they are more settled in and also aware of who the goons out there are. The Jake Virtanen hit on Niklas Kronwall is a good example of a young player that has developed an awareness of who is on the ice and their reputation and does a great job of letting him know that. I don't expect Elias to do that but with the gained awareness he probably would be able to just avoid the hit and make Kronwall look foolish in the process

Archived