The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Nurse won't attend Oilers camp without contract

MikeBossy

1 hour ago, The Great Canucks said:

Why the hell would we want to give up anything for Nurse?

Strong, smooth skater with skill and physical presence. Lots of potential. 

Why wouldn’t we kick the tires? 

He’s clearly losing value thanks to chia’s poor management and this could be right up JB’s alley. He has a history of getting young players on the cheap. 

1 hour ago, HorvatToBaertschi said:

Strong, smooth skater with skill and physical presence. Lots of potential. 

Why wouldn’t we kick the tires? 

He’s clearly losing value thanks to chia’s poor management and this could be right up JB’s alley. He has a history of getting young players on the cheap. 

He sure as hell isn't worth Juolevi. I'd rather keep Juolevi over him.

12 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Karlsson rumours about going out west might be true. Edmonton wants a cup with Mcdavid and knows their defence needs an upgrade. 

Nurse Larsson

Klefbom Russell

Benning Bear 

Lowe

To make room for Karlsson they make a deal with Van. 

To Edmonton

Edler 

Karlsson 

Baertchi 

To Vancouver

Nurse

Ryan 

part of elders contract 

To Ottawa 

2019 1st (Edm) 

Ryan Nugent Hopkins 

Erik Gudbranson

Yamamoto 

Nilsson 

New D lines for Edmonton - defence is improved 

Edler Karlsson

Klefbom Larson

Benning Russel 

Lowe Bear 

New lines for Van - Nurse makes our team harder to play against

Our lines after that trade could be something like

Goldobin Horvat Boeser 

Eriksson Pettersson Ryan

Leipsic Sutter Virtanen

Roussel Beagle Gagner 

Granlund Schaller

Nurse Stetcher 

Del Zotto Tanev 

Hutton Pouliot 

Biega 

Gudbranson

Demko

While it would be interesting to try to benefit from this, I don't think I want to see Karlsson land in Edmonton and us being the ones to make it work for them. There are in our division and can you imagine at least 9 or so years of McDavid and Karlsson. Our window is within that timeframe as well, so we have to consider it competitively as well.

Love the potential Nurse has, but not at that cost and especially if Nurse is looking at 5+ million which he simply isn't worth right now.

11 hours ago, erkayloomeh said:

I'll tell you why russell got that contract. Because that's what you have to do to attract ufas to play in Edmonton. Is there a team in the league that's harder to manage than Edmonton for that reason .   It must be difficult to keep players there .  

They blew their window.  

A few years ago they were the darlings of the league.  With all their young talent, they were expected to be contenders for a long time. UFAs talked about the chance to win by signing there.

There is no reason why that couldn’t have been true.  Stunningly bad management and  vision.  It wasn’t the players, Hall hasn’t done too shabbily now that he has moved on to a slightly less crappy team.

16 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Nurse to TOR for Nylander rumours starts in 3.. 2.. 1......

If Edmonton can't afford what Nurse is asking, they sure as hell can't afford Nylander.

And Nurse is a lefty. TO needs a righty. Their left side is actually quite strong.

24 minutes ago, D-Money said:

If Edmonton can't afford what Nurse is asking, they sure as hell can't afford Nylander.

And Nurse is a lefty. TO needs a righty. Their left side is actually quite strong.

Forget about if they can afford it, last thing Edmonton needs is more wingers. They need Nurse, but if they can't make it work, then need to make a hockey trade where they get a dman back for him. Or at least move RNH to help the back end somehow.

32 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Forget about if they can afford it, last thing Edmonton needs is more wingers. They need Nurse, but if they can't make it work, then need to make a hockey trade where they get a dman back for him. Or at least move RNH to help the back end somehow.

The team I think should be all over this is LA. They have a couple veteran D-men in Martinez and Muzzin, who are locked up for 2-3 years for $4 mil. They are probably slightly better than Nurse right now, but long term Darnell will have much more value, obviously. And the Kings need to take every opportunity to get younger.

Moving one of Muzzin/Martinez [plus pick/prospect(s)] for Nurse should work for both teams. LA could even retain a slight bit, and still give Nurse over $5 mil on an extension. Or, they could offer him a bridge deal, with the chance to possibly play with Doughty and pad his stats.

20 hours ago, captainhorvat said:

Nurse to TOR for Nylander rumours starts in 3.. 2.. 1......

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

A trade that hurts both Toronto and Edmonton, I love it!

33 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Surprised it has gone this late.   

Me too.  But I am impressed that (unless I missed something) neither side has been trying to negotiate this through the media.

I am guessing that, since the Oilers are pretty low on cap space, they don't want the numbers to get out for fear that some other team may step up and make an offer that Edmonton can't afford to match.

Just now, goalie13 said:

Me too.  But I am impressed that (unless I missed something) neither side has been trying to negotiate this through the media.

I am guessing that, since the Oilers are pretty low on cap space, they don't want the numbers to get out for fear that some other team may step up and make an offer that Edmonton can't afford to match.

To be honest, bit surprised some teams haven't tried that yet.

6 minutes ago, Rob_Zepp said:

To be honest, bit surprised some teams haven't tried that yet.

Maybe they have.

Hypothetically, if DN (and his agent) think he's worth $X million but nobody has come close to that, we may never hear about it.

3 hours ago, D-Money said:

The team I think should be all over this is LA. They have a couple veteran D-men in Martinez and Muzzin, who are locked up for 2-3 years for $4 mil. They are probably slightly better than Nurse right now, but long term Darnell will have much more value, obviously. And the Kings need to take every opportunity to get younger.

Moving one of Muzzin/Martinez [plus pick/prospect(s)] for Nurse should work for both teams. LA could even retain a slight bit, and still give Nurse over $5 mil on an extension. Or, they could offer him a bridge deal, with the chance to possibly play with Doughty and pad his stats.

Interesting proposal. Would definitely take Muzzin if this is the scenario and makes sense for the team whose window should be now, it'll depend on what those picks and prospects are and like you said, LA needs to get younger too and may not watch to give up those picks and prospects as well. I think the biggest issue is they probably could use Muzzin/Martinez along with Nurse. They may as well hope for the bigger reward of Nurse taking the next step. I think they need to find a way to move RNH for a respectable dman.

I would wonder if Edmonton would consider a Sutter, Tanev/Gudbranson and Pouliot for RNH and Nurse type of deal. Cap-wise would offset a bit but Edmonton saves a bit while filling out their roster and shores up the defensive side of their team. They get the vets that are cap-friendly to help win now and Pouliot may have some offensive potential they could tap into. We gain a 2nd line center and a dman that can replace Edler hopefully or at least a top 4 guy similar to Gudbranson. I see Gudbranson as where Nurse is at currently and Gudbranson makes 4 million a year which is how much I think Nurse should be worth right now if signed long term. I think no more than 3 million a year on a bridge would be best for Edmonton and even Nurse.

Archived