The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Report) Nurse won't attend Oilers camp without contract

MikeBossy

The Oil need a one two punch down the middle. RNH has had poor development and is too expensive/wasted in a 3rd line center role. 

Sutter for RNH?  The Oil need to move him out but shouldn’t expect much in return. It would be nice to see RNH improve with new surroundings.  

They need to shed cap and get more role players vs top end players. With McD, LD and JP they have the high end forwards. Who plays match up?  

4 minutes ago, Phat Fingers said:

The Oil need a one two punch down the middle. RNH has had poor development and is too expensive/wasted in a 3rd line center role. 

Sutter for RNH?  The Oil need to move him out but shouldn’t expect much in return. It would be nice to see RNH improve with new surroundings.  

They need to shed cap and get more role players vs top end players. With McD, LD and JP they have the high end forwards. Who plays match up?  

RNH is their LW1 and Strome is their C3.  They are having trouble putting together a top-6.  Rattie could be their RW1. 

17 minutes ago, rekker said:

I was thinking more along the lines if JB thought we were less of a lottery team it may be worth it. If your a team with a late pick and in need of a good, young dman, it may not be a bad play. A late first and a late third for Nurse. I'd do that. 

I could see TO doing something like that. They would benefit with a stronger RHD.  Their pick won’t be great. 

The only thing from the Oilers view point, their track record is piss poor with later round draft picks. 

Goving up on Nurse for and be bad lotto ticket... not good. 

The Oilers need to move salary and keep Nurse or trade him for another d man. 

6 minutes ago, mll said:

RNH is their LW1 and Strome is their C3.  They are having trouble putting together a top-6.  Rattie could be their RW1. 

Oops. Always had RNH as a center in my mind.  

Still thought the Oilers were searching for a top six LW.  Thought there was a hole there. 

10 minutes ago, mll said:

Strome being their 3C is a major problem. He was below 45% on faceoffs and his defense is nothing to be desired. His offense is subpar at best, so he really doesn't provide much to the role. Now that the team lost Letestu as well who was actually decent at draws, they need someone to help win possession at LD is their only and best option right now especially if RNH is used as a winger. I would think a center than can win possession is a big need for them especially the defensive draws.

I would say Puljujarvi is their top RW and if he isn't playing with McDavid, then Yamamoto will get that shot before Rattie does I would think. It'll be interesting how they deploy Reider though.

18 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Strome being their 3C is a major problem. He was below 45% on faceoffs and his defense is nothing to be desired. His offense is subpar at best, so he really doesn't provide much to the role. Now that the team lost Letestu as well who was actually decent at draws, they need someone to help win possession at LD is their only and best option right now especially if RNH is used as a winger. I would think a center than can win possession is a big need for them especially the defensive draws.

I would say Puljujarvi is their top RW and if he isn't playing with McDavid, then Yamamoto will get that shot before Rattie does I would think. It'll be interesting how they deploy Reider though.

They re-signed Strome at 3.1 x 2 years - they must have liked what they saw.

They brought in Kyle Brodziak at 1.15M.  He had 31% of zone starts for the Blues and was 52% in draws and had 33pts.  

RNH-McDavid-Rattie was their line to finish the season - Rattie looked good with them.  

2 hours ago, Phat Fingers said:

Sutter for RNH?

Yuck, see no reason for that, at all.  Will be redundant in short order, then be stuck with that contract for 3 years.  Much better off with Sutter right now, and can move him when he's surpassed by others.  I get that he's "from here" but that shouldn't be the impetus to get him, nor anyone for that matter.

4 hours ago, mll said:

They re-signed Strome at 3.1 x 2 years - they must have liked what they saw.

They brought in Kyle Brodziak at 1.15M.  He had 31% of zone starts for the Blues and was 52% in draws and had 33pts.  

RNH-McDavid-Rattie was their line to finish the season - Rattie looked good with them.  

Must've overlooked them signing Brodziak. Certainly helps them out at center, but he's a 4th liner. Good offensive numbers last year, but it could be an anomaly, so we will see if he can sustain with a new team that is arguably not as strong as the Blues were.

They may like Strome as a 3rd liner, decent production there, but I'm not so sure as a center. As mentioned, 44% and definitely one of least utilized centers at faceoffs on the team, likely got more starts at center with injuries to Letestu and RNH, plus RNH being moved to wing. He's probably more like how Granlund is to us which we signed for cheaper and shorter term, so we will see how that pans out for them.

Rattie may have been on McDavid's line, but I was mentioning who I believe are their top RWs, so even with Rattie having success there, they have some depth on the right side which doesn't make it seem as weak as it seems by calling Rattie their 1RW.

7 hours ago, Me_ said:

I hope the Oilers understand how that would make them much better for the next few years.

For the Canucks, it makes them better long term.

IDK if Tanev would agree to go there.  If so it would suit both clubs. 

Nurse, Woo, Guddy and Stecher on the right side,

Hughes, OJ, Trymakin, Hutton (?) and Pouliot on the left side.  

IMO Edmonton has to get a good RHD back if they ship out Nurse. 

Tanev would help them in the weakest area on their club. 

Archived