The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Vancouver's 3 new free agents

aqua59

4 hours ago, Quantum said:

I love the Roussel signing. Perfect signing for this club. No complaints.

I like Beagle but hate the term of his contract.

I don't get why we signed Schaller for 2 years.

My worry is that a Schaller will keep a guy like Lukas Jasek, Zack MacEwen, and/or Petrus Palmu from breaking into the big club this year because he's occupying a roster spot when those guys are ready for jobs. In particular, I feel like Jasek could be the big surprise and force management's hand and get onto the 3rd line. A guy like Jasek could learn A LOT from Roussel. I see similarities between the two though Jasek has a higher offensive ceiling.

Again if a young player like a Palmu MacEwen or Jasek plays better than a Schaller then they will get the spot. It is totally up to the younger player to prove he is the better option. The team does not get better by gifting a spot to a younger player. Schaller was signed because he brings grit and toughness to play against. He is a bottom 3 forward fourth liner most likely. He may contribute a bit of offense but if he wants a bigger role thats up to him to prove he is worthy of it.

What i dont understand is the notion we should allow the younger players a free spot on the team. They have to work for it and earn their roster spot,Thats what we want isnt it. A team of players that are the best players we can get at that position. We surely dont want a bunch of learn on the job players. We want players to step in when they are ready to be the best player they can be.

Schaller is considered better than the players you mentioned right now. They will have to go to camp and prove themselves to Green and Benning that they deserve to be thought of otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Father Ryan said:

From @oldnews:

I think Beagle is the no-brainer signing of the three.  The team had two NHL centers and some winger-conversion options - and a very young emerging top 6.  They needed a Beagle more than any other asset - needed the elite faceoff ability, the shutdown/hard minutes, needed a center more than any winger.

I preferred the Schaller signing over Roussel as well.  Shorter term, smaller cap and commitment - better 'underlying' numbers than Roussel, more physical, bigger body/heavier presence (more hits, more blocks, more intimidating and willing to stand up), ie less pest more 'warrior', more productive last year, more versatile (twice the pk ice time and able to play center/take draws), better turnover differential, better all around defensive numbers.....Imo, he's the second relative no-brainer.  Schaller is relatively under-rated here

I agree with you on this. I liked the Beagle signing the most. It gives us needed help on the PK, a glaring weakness last year. It relieves Sutter from so much responsibility; now he and his line can play against the opponents #2 line, and become very effective. Beagle also gives the locker room something that wasn't here last year, and hasn't been in sometime: a Stanley Cup ring. Gives the younger guys a more immediate goal.

I don't mind the Schaller signing too much. If he contributes anything really positive, he can be more easily moved to gain another asset. The term and money was realistic. If he doesn't, well, he was the most expensive signing by any means.

The Roussel signing...ok, I guess. Sounds like another Torres to me, just without as much skill. One year too many, $1m too much.

Agree on most.

Bolded is the most important thing we have been missing. Right term, dollars are irrelevant. No cap issues. next issue please?

8 hours ago, Pete M said:

or Gud may have to put on the tin foil more if Roussel stirs up the hornets nests each game...it will add some passion/ excitement, but to the chagrin of Gud.

Perhaps, but at least Roussel will back up his antics occasionally which isn't always the case with agitators (see Cooke).  He doesn't fight as much as he used too but we still can expect a half dozen or so tilts and he fairs very  well against anyone in his weight class or a little bigger

Was in a dandy his second season with Kevin Klein (who rarely loses when he drops them), one of the best fights of year.  He's not a heavyweight but  is good enough to still be in the league after the enforcer role died and won't mind taking a major to dish out justice when it's due (and that intimidates some players).  Gudbranson might fight more than normal your right, but only until the message is sent not to mess with Pettersson and Boeser, or anyone else for that matter.

edit:  he fought Gudbranson in 2015, and lost so...must be nice to have a bigger body around just in case lol

So many people upset they won't see a Nucks team full of rookies due to much-needed gritty veteran presence, but to that I say, "Watch an exciting Utica team this year win the championship and gel together for next year's jump." Win-win. 

JB & Co. know what they're doing. 

5 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Perhaps, but at least Roussel will back up his antics occasionally which isn't always the case with agitators (see Cooke).  He doesn't fight as much as he used too but we still can expect a half dozen or so tilts and he fairs very  well against anyone in his weight class or a little bigger

Was in a dandy his second season with Kevin Klein (who rarely loses when he drops them), one of the best fights of year.  He's not a heavyweight but  is good enough to still be in the league after the enforcer role died and won't mind taking a major to dish out justice when it's due (and that intimidates some players).  Gudbranson might fight more than normal your right, but only until the message is sent not to mess with Pettersson and Boeser, or anyone else for that matter.

edit:  he fought Gudbranson in 2015, and lost so...must be nice to have a bigger body around just in case lol

Its having the other team have to look over their shoulders a bit that I am looking forward to. Too many soft games in our arena last season.  It will be nice to see San Jose and Anaheim have to man up a bit.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

Its having the other team have to look over their shoulders a bit that I am looking forward to. Too many soft games in our arena last season.  It will be nice to see San Jose and Anaheim have to man up a bit.

Yes, and the other intangible is when he's chirping and yipping at the other teams stars he could get them off their game a bit, it matters and can sometimes be the difference between a win and a loss.   As Shero said fresh off beating a heavily favoured Boston squad with Orr, Esposito and a murderers row of other highly talented players, "18 choir boys never won a Stanley Cup and never will".

" ..... log jam that will not be easy to clear.

But a welcome change for coach Green.  Correct me please if my math is underwhelming.

Opening day roster forwards (not in any line order):

Boeser-Horvat-Virtanen      - Canucks only stars and untouchable.

Sutter-Gagner-Erikson       - untradable contracts and have to play.

Rousssel-Schaller-Beagle  - newly signed and also must play.

Our rookies cannot hope to surplant any of these 9 spots, if only because of financial considerations.  But, can we expect an on-going

rotation of rookies being offered up the opportunity to fight for these 3 remaining forward slots?  And only these.

They'll first need to outplay these 11 present placeholders:

Archibald, Baertschi, Boucher, Goldobin, Granlund, Leipsic, Gaunce, Motte and maybe even Laplante, MacEwen and Kero.

Here's more than 3 rookies willing and worthy of a shot:

Pettersson, Dahlen, Palmu, Jasek, Gaudette and Gadjovich.

And, if Pettersson is a lock, that'll leave 16 players trying to claim only 2 roster spots.  14 decent players will be heading to a deserving Utica fanbase.

6 minutes ago, Mo Grit said:

But a welcome change for coach Green.  Correct me please if my math is underwhelming.

Opening day roster forwards (not in any line order):

Our rookies cannot hope to surplant any of these 9 spots, if only because of financial considerations.  But, can we expect an on-going

rotation of rookies being offered up the opportunity to fight for these 3 remaining forward slots?  And only these.

They'll first need to outplay these 11 present placeholders:

Archibald, Baertschi, Boucher, Goldobin, Granlund, Leipsic, Gaunce, Motte and maybe even Laplante, MacEwen and Kero.

Here's more than 3 rookies willing and worthy of a shot:

Pettersson, Dahlen, Palmu, Jasek, Gaudette and Gadjovich.

And, if Pettersson is a lock, that'll leave 16 players trying to claim only 2 roster spots.  14 decent players will be heading to a deserving Utica fanbase.

Yes - a welcome amount of competition for the coach to distill.

Sutter would be extremely easy to trade - for a good return.

Gagner is anything but guaranteed a roster spot imo - does not 'have to play' - can be flipped, dumped, waived, etc.   Absolutely no way I'd consider him any less a placeholder than Baertschi, Granlund, Leipsic.  I also doubt people will consider Leipsic a placeholder for long.

59 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes, and the other intangible is when he's chirping and yipping at the other teams stars he could get them off their game a bit, it matters and can sometimes be the difference between a win and a loss.   As Shero said fresh off beating a heavily favoured Boston squad with Orr, Esposito and a murderers row of other highly talented players, "18 choir boys never won a Stanley Cup and never will".

Being an all in #4 fan, this almost made throw the TV out the window, but it was too damn heavy and of course dad would have chucked me out the window instead..lol

1 hour ago, Mo Grit said:

If Gagner gets outplayed then trade him for whatever a few weeks into the season when injuries start occurring on other teams and they need depth. 

On 9/8/2018 at 3:51 PM, Kanuck_Krazy said:

I don't think anyone had any problem with the players brought in.  It was their contract.  The terms were awful.  No-one else would have paid them that much for that long.  (Roussel/Beagle)  Schaller is okay.

Are you paying for their contracts out of pocket or the Canucks owner is? Case closed.

13 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

If Gagner gets outplayed then trade him for whatever a few weeks into the season when injuries start occurring on other teams and they need depth. 

Last 2yrs of Erickson's contract he can be traded submit a 15 team list...

6yrs - 36 million... 

1st yr - 8 million --- NTC

2nd yr -8 mil ---- NTC

3rd yr 7 mil ---- NTC

4th yr  5 mil ---- NTC

5th yr - 4 mil

6th yr - 4 mil

36 minutes ago, PuckFather said:

Are you paying for their contracts out of pocket or the Canucks owner is? Case closed.

No I'm not. Still bad contracts. Now whether you want to say they're bad contracts but acceptable because that's what it takes to get these players when your as bad as we then okay. But don't kid yourself these were bad contracts. If you disagree it's fine but your wrong. It was widely agreed upon in the hockey world that these were two of the worst contracts signed in free agency.

1 minute ago, Kanuck_Krazy said:

No I'm not. Still bad contracts. Now whether you want to say they're bad contracts but acceptable because that's what it takes to get these players when your as bad as we then okay. But don't kid yourself these were bad contracts. If you disagree it's fine but your wrong. It was widely agreed upon in the hockey world that these were two of the worst contracts signed in free agency.

I don’t get your logic.  We need Roussel for his nastiness.  We need Beagle for his defensive acumen.  We need Schaller because he’s very difficult to play against.  These three guys will be on our team for the full years of their contracts, because we need what they bring.  They make it a lot easier for our young (very elite skilled) super stars to play their games.  These three signings are super important to the development of our next (and Cup winning) core.

i see JB making moves to protect our young stars.  Teams like the Leafs and Oilers haven’t done this, and that’s a big mistake.  

47 minutes ago, Alflives said:

I don’t get your logic.  We need Roussel for his nastiness.  We need Beagle for his defensive acumen.  We need Schaller because he’s very difficult to play against.  These three guys will be on our team for the full years of their contracts, because we need what they bring.  They make it a lot easier for our young (very elite skilled) super stars to play their games.  These three signings are super important to the development of our next (and Cup winning) core.

i see JB making moves to protect our young stars.  Teams like the Leafs and Oilers haven’t done this, and that’s a big mistake.  

I agree 100 % Canucks have been way way to soft to play against? Every game players getting cheap shots and face washing very embarrassing.. You need toughness in your line up...I am not talking about goons as they don't exist in the new NHL.

Players we signed Roussel is one that will battle for his team every nigh..The guy can skate, has some speed and could play on 3rd line.. Now Scheller 6'2, 210 can also skate and add extra toughness only a 2yr contract.

Beagle is questionable as Gaudette could play 4th line centre..

Exciting season so many very good young prospects under 23 to follow..The farm team will be exciting to follow with so many rookie prospect there this season..

Keep on rebuild 2 years away from playoffs and so many good prospects to follow..

5 hours ago, Kanuck_Krazy said:

The problem is how will they be gone? Trade is unlikely unless you add something to take the contract. Burying them in minors is an option but not one that has ever been used by this team and especially these owners.

You underrate these players too much.

DET, TBL,NYR,WAS,CHI,DAL,MIN,STL,CGY,LA,SJ,VEG.  All teams that could use at least one more NHL quality  forward .  Some need cheap depth and others someone to play higher up the depth chart.  As long as the excess players don't totally crap the bed they should have some value around the league given that there aren't a lot of teams with forwards (especially cheap) to spare.

11 hours ago, Kanuck_Krazy said:

I don't feel that way at all.  Other than maybe a year too long on Beagle, they were fair market value for what those players bring.  

Archived