The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

US Open- Congratulations Naomi Osaka

Just1CupB4IDie

29 minutes ago, Just1CupBeforeIDie said:

Naomi Osaka beats Serena Williams in 2 straight sets! Congratulations!

What did you think of Serena's behaviour and reaction to the warning and code misconduct?

I think Serena got in a lot of trouble once before, when she (allegedly) threatened a line judge. 

She a super competitive athlete though.  Maybe without her natural high compete nature, she doesn’t win 23 Slams?  I think it’s her inner fight to always win that separates her from her peers.  Plus she’s an amazing player too, of course.

Serena was set off by being accused of receiving 'coaching' during her match, I can understand if that felt like a false accusation as it was an affront to her values and integrity.  I react the same way so I get how hot she was over that.  Not sure what the norm is for that type of action as I don't watch much tennis.  Sadly she wasn't able to regain emotional control and it cost her.  Not sure if she might have won if she had maintained control of her emotions.  Was good to see her manage the crowd to give Naomi appropriate recognition at the end, that was good sportsmanship.  Looks like Naomi will be a strong contender for a long time to come, good for her!  

Serena's coach admitted he coached her from the box. Serena shouldve just took the penalty and carried on. She went on to break her racket , another penalty justified. Then she got a third one for calling the ump a thief and liar. The crowd continued to boo during the trophy ceremony. Disgusting fans. I felt Serena had the spotlight and attention even though it was a pivotal moment for Naomi.

I was disgusted by the fans, a 20 year old girl wins her first Grand Slam and they kept booing to the point she was in tears and couldn't even celebrate it. Completely ruined the moment for her. Good on Serena to stick up for her during her speech and calm the crowd down, but wish she could've kept her cool and made it a clean match.

11 minutes ago, stonecoldstevebernier said:

I was disgusted by the fans, a 20 year old girl wins her first Grand Slam and they kept booing to the point she was in tears and couldn't even celebrate it. Completely ruined the moment for her. Good on Serena to stick up for her during her speech and calm the crowd down, but wish she could've kept her cool and made it a clean match.

Exactly! Poor Naomi even apologized for the turn out...

The fans were pissed and booing because they paid big bucks to watch the women's final. Then some absolutely bizarre stuff happens which has a tremendous affect on the outcome and there is a completely inadequate explanation from the umpire.

They are left wondering WTF happened and are understandably upset and feel cheated themselves.

Players get coaching all the time in grand slams and nothing is ever called. Think they'd ever dare call that on Federer? Not a chance.

Soooooooo the judge makes a bizarre call, Serena loses her $&!# (as she's apt to do), ends up losing the match, the crowd boos, and Serena turns it into a "muh sexism" issue?

Great. It'll be super awesome to see the "progressives" getting all uppidy and talking about "the patriarchy" or whatever.  

7 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Soooooooo the judge makes a bizarre call, Serena loses her $&!# (as she's apt to do), ends up losing the match, the crowd boos, and Serena turns it into a "muh sexism" issue?

Great. It'll be super awesome to see the "progressives" getting all uppidy and talking about "the patriarchy" or whatever.  

I don’t get why the girls don’t play the best 3 out of 5 sets, just like the men?  I wonder if top athletic players, like Serena, are trying to make that change?  

1 hour ago, nuckin_futz said:

The fans were pissed and booing because they paid big bucks to watch the women's final. Then some absolutely bizarre stuff happens which has a tremendous affect on the outcome and there is a completely inadequate explanation from the umpire.

They are left wondering WTF happened and are understandably upset and feel cheated themselves.

Players get coaching all the time in grand slams and nothing is ever called. Think they'd ever dare call that on Federer? Not a chance.

Go back to the Trump thread.

SW lost it...her focus, her cool, and the match...congrats to Naomi O. on her first ever grand slam victory....I would not have predicted her winning this match at all.

The ref, the judge, etc. is part of all sport...they have the authority and power to make decisions regarding the match...whether the decision is right or wrong, the athlete has to respond in a positive manner that benefits the athlete...SW could not recover from the judge's decision.

3 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

I have never seen a player been given a game penalty in such a pivotal moment in a Final.

The umpire robbed Osaka of her moment and ruined a great Final. I thought that she would have eventually beaten Serena as she looked like the better player on the day. You are indeed correct the crowd was pissed after being robbed of a great Final. The boos weren't for Osaka, they are for the shambolic performance of the umpire who made the match all about himself and his ego. 

Archived