The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Suspect Charged in 13 Year Old Girl's (Marrisa Shen) Murder

DonLever

8 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Canada knows that he will get tortured over there, he will never get sent back.

Probably spend rest of his life in prison.

Should not be a concern for a person convicted of a violent offense...

Who cares what happens to him if he is sent home ?

7 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Honestly, good. I'm glad he suffered.

Unfortunately, we as Canadians are too nice to kill pieces of $&!# like that guy.

Couldn't even acknowledge what a piece of $&!# he was in his final statement. "I'm really sorry". That's it eh?

Suffer you prick

2 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Your government cares, they will never send him back, if they suspect that he will be tortured or executed.

Why should we care if a guy that tortured/executed a 13 yr old is in turn treated the same way........  Seem fair to me....

2 minutes ago, luckylager said:

Honestly, good. I'm glad he suffered.

Unfortunately, we as Canadians are too nice to kill pieces of $&!# like that guy.

Couldn't even acknowledge what a piece of $&!# he was in his final statement. "I'm really sorry". That's it eh?

Suffer you prick

CNN did a story called cruel and unusual punishment.

It was supposed to be a documentary  against the death penalty.

What I found strange was their choice of inmates that they profiled, I mean these 3 committed horrible crimes.

All 3 were executed and suffered during botched executions, but you would think that CNN would pick more sympathetic characters.

https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/courts/charles-warner-is-executed-here-s-the-story-of-his/article_af39c542-08d0-5bd6-80ac-01a6f1c668ee.html

https://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/06/execution-clayton-lockett/392069/

https://www.cleveland.com/nation/index.ssf/2013/12/ohio_death_row_prisoner_seeks.html

10 minutes ago, kingofsurrey said:

Why should we care if a guy that tortured/executed a 13 yr old is in turn treated the same way........  Seem fair to me....

I am not saying that you should not feel the way you do, my point is that the government of Canada won’t let that happen.

19 minutes ago, CBH1926 said:

Your government cares, they will never send him back, if they suspect that he will be tortured or executed.

Not true, according to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, if you get convicted of a serious crime which this man will, your PR status is revoked and a removal order is issued.

Of course he will have to serve his prison sentence first.

21 minutes ago, Toews said:

Not true, according to the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, if you get convicted of a serious crime which this man will, your PR status is revoked and a removal order is issued.

Of course he will have first have to serve his prison sentence first.

True, but Canada has signed UNCAT in 1987, which prevents people from being deported to countries where they will be tortured.

Who knows what happens in 30 years but as of right now, Syria is not going to take these people back.

There has to be an agreement signed between Canada and Syria in regards to extradition.

Also Canada does not have a stellar record when it comes to deporting foreign criminals.

https://globalnews.ca/news/4087292/canada-deporting-dangerous-criminals-ineffective-still-here/

31 minutes ago, Heretic said:

Like all white cops are black oppressors - amirite?

Sure, heretic, use false dicotomy.

All cops are oppressors. They may be introduced for the right reasons, and yes, they have a very difficult and stressful job, but somewhere in the indoctrination all common humanity is lost, they put on their uni and impose their rigid vision of humanity on everyone else.

I'm just wondering how he slip though the vetting.  I mean considering they supposedly did extra due diligence and supposedly they focused on bringing in families and not just random individuals.  The whole vetting process is supposed to preemptively prevent these types of people from coming in.  If this guy got in.... how many others may have as well?

If this guy is convicted.... we should give him the freedom of choice.... execution, suicide, or deportation back to Syria.  

2 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

I'm just wondering how he slip though the vetting.  I mean considering they supposedly did extra due diligence and supposedly they focused on bringing in families and not just random individuals.  The whole vetting process is supposed to preemptively prevent these types of people from coming in.  If this guy got in.... how many others may have as well?

If this guy is convicted.... we should give him the freedom of choice.... execution, suicide, or deportation back to Syria.  

Sounds like his three choices have the same result.  I like that.  

I wonder if there will be an inquiry on the vetting process on this refugee. To see if it was done properly.  If it was done who knows how many bad guys have slipped through.

Glad they caught the guy.   I tend to think children are precious and must be protected at all costs.  I'm not opposed to the death penalty if the victim is a child. 

1 hour ago, luckylager said:

Sure, heretic, use false dicotomy.

All cops are oppressors. They may be introduced for the right reasons, and yes, they have a very difficult and stressful job, but somewhere in the indoctrination all common humanity is lost, they put on their uni and impose their rigid vision of humanity on everyone else.

Actually, I didn't say it, the guy I replied to did. ;)

59 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

How can you vet someone in a war torn country when half the infrastructure has been destroyed along with any records?   Plus do you expect any co-operation from the Assad government in checking someone's background?

The only possible background check the Canadian government can do is see if the person is on any known terrorist list.   Besides that, what can the Canadian government do besides question the person.  And do you think the applicant will admit to a criminal background or that he committed sex crimes before?   Of course not, the person will lie and the Canadian government will never find out.

3 minutes ago, DonLever said:

How can you vet someone in a war torn country when half the infrastructure has been destroyed along with any records?   Plus do you expect any co-operation from the Assad government in checking someone's background?

The only possible background check the Canadian government can do is see if the person is on any known terrorist list.   Besides that, what can the Canadian government do besides question the person.  And do you think the applicant will admit to a criminal background or that he committed sex crimes before?   Of course not, the person will lie and the Canadian government will never find out.

Definitely.  

Seems like Canada is just going, "Hey, are you a violent criminal?"  "No?"  "Okay, welcome to Canada.... It's the current year!"  "Ignorance is Strength.... oh wait, ignore that for now...."

refugees21.jpg?quality=70&strip=all

https://globalnews.ca/news/2349421/heres-how-refugees-are-screened-before-arriving-in-canada/

Can Canada possibly bring in 25,000 refugees over the next six weeks? Some politicians and pundits are saying it’s way too fast, while others are claiming that Islamic State fighters could slip in among the refugees. While we don’t yet know how Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s refugee plan will work, we do know that the office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)—which runs the camps in Lebanon, Jordan and Turkey where the refugees currently reside—tries to make sure refugees won’t pose a risk to the countries planning on taking them in. Trudeau’s plan may be different in the specifics, but experts agree he’s likely to follow the broad strokes of UNHCR’s process. Here’s how UNHCR does it:

Step 1: UNHCR makes sure claimants are eligible under the 1951 Refugee Convention. To qualify, they need to have fled their homes and be unable to return due to “serious and indiscriminate threats to life, physical integrity or freedom resulting from generalized violence or events seriously disturbing public order.” Anyone who has participated in war crimes or serious non-political crimes is ineligible. As Gisèle Nyembwe, a spokesperson for UNHCR Canada, puts it: “At the registration stage, we try to identify combatants.”

Step 2: UNHCR identifies those who are the most vulnerable and in greatest need of resettlement, which typically includes orphans and single mothers and their children. In the United States, about 50 per cent of the roughly 1,800 Syrians admitted this year were children, and around 25 per cent were adults over 60. The number who make it through this screening process is about one per cent. In 2014, UNHCR referred 103,890 refugees out of 14.4 millionto the resettlement program.

Step3: Each person UNHCR considers for referral is individually reviewed by a refugee protection officer, says Peter Showler, who spent three months in Lebanon last year working with UNHCR. Refugee-protection officers are looking for any inconsistencies in claimants’ stories. “If they say they were in Homs until March 2012, then, all of a sudden, they’re talking about Aleppo in November, that’s a red flag,” says Showler.

Step 4: If the refugee-protection officer is content, she will then refer the file to a visa officer in one of the 28 countries that participate in the resettlement program, including Canada. The visa officer then conducts an interview with the claimant. In that interview, there is a focus to ensure the person is not involved in any kind of terrorist activity, according to James Milner, an associate professor at Carleton University and an expert on refugee policy. “After 9/11, they really beefed up the procedures to focus on preventing anyone with terrorist ties from making it through,” says Milner.

Step 5: The refugee’s file is run against databases maintained by the Canada Border Services Agency, the Canadian Security Intelligence Service, Interpol, and similar databases in allied countries to determine if the person is a threat. The refugee also has to undergo a medical test. In 2014, Canada accepted 7,575 people through the refugee-resettlement program, including 1,450 people from the Middle East and North Africa region, and 1,715 people from the Europe region, which includes Turkey.

https://www.macleans.ca/news/world/how-the-unhcrs-refugee-resettlement-process-actually-works/

For those who actually want to learn about Canada's screening process. After the UNHCR refers these refugees, we do our own screening. Generally speaking the more educated candidates have a leg up as well as if they have a good grasp of the English language. The more educated someone is the less likely they are to be offenders.

11 hours ago, HerrDrFunk said:

I’m sorry to hear that! I hope both of them manage to land on their feet.

To be clear though, my comment wasn’t “ha-ha, here’s wrestling”. I was pointing out the inherent foolishness of taking a complex tragedy and trying to boil it down to All Syrians = Child Killers while using a Syrian-Canadian entertainer and phrasing it in such a way that I would get the guys attention; then hopefully disappoint him when he found out I was saying what he said was dumb.

I agree with that.    This was a cruel and senseless act by one human on another.   This seems to have nothing to do with any mass characterization of any set of people let alone an entire nation.   I just see nothing funny about a 13 year  old girl getting murdered in a park near her home and yesterday my capacity to see through to your bigger picture intention was hampered.

Archived