The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Blue Jackets sign head coach John Tortorella to contract extension

22 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Yep, Torts was the problem here.

Can't deny that under his coaching the majority of players had career worst years (Most not all). He didn't fit in here. 

Honestly half the time it seemed he didn't seem to know what he was doing, other than over relying on the Sedin's. 

Move on, let him carry on in Columbus. 

3 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Can't deny that under his coaching the majority of players had career worst years (Most not all). He didn't fit in here. 

Honestly half the time it seemed he didn't seem to know what he was doing, other than over relying on the Sedin's. 

Move on, let him carry on in Columbus. 

What I was hinting at, was the team that he's succeeded with in Columbus is very much like the team that will emerge here in 1-2 years. Better late than never, but I would have to think that Torts coaching this team would not nearly be the trainwreck it was when he did coach here.

7 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

Just because he was the only one outspoken enough to actually call the BS doesn't make him the problem.

Just because he was calling out BS, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a problem here. How many practices did he attend? Had he talked to Burrows more than once by the time he left?

5 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Just because he was calling out BS, doesn’t mean he wasn’t a problem here. How many practices did he attend? Had he talked to Burrows more than once by the time he left?

You could say that was a failing of the GM and President to not sooner recognize that certain players had reached or exceeded their best before date. We got lucky to get Dahlen trading Burrows as late as we did.

The coach has to coach the players made available to him, but funny how management didn't listen to what Torts' perspective was, whereas now they actively listen to Green and his needs.

Again, it's in the past but I think that regardless if Torts had been an ownership hire or not, management should have been more receptive to his thoughts and given him the players or types of players that would have made his style of coaching work here, instead of forcing him to coach a subpar collection of players.

Edit: Just realized after posting that Torts was fired by the incoming current management. He should have been given the opportunity to stay on, WD was a train wreck.

4 minutes ago, VanGnome said:

You could say that was a failing of the GM and President to not sooner recognize that certain players had reached or exceeded their best before date. We got lucky to get Dahlen trading Burrows as late as we did.

The coach has to coach the players made available to him, but funny how management didn't listen to what Torts' perspective was, whereas now they actively listen to Green and his needs.

Again, it's in the past but I think that regardless if Torts had been an ownership hire or not, management should have been more receptive to his thoughts and given him the players or types of players that would have made his style of coaching work here, instead of forcing him to coach a subpar collection of players.

Edit: Just realized after posting that Torts was fired by the incoming current management. He should have been given the opportunity to stay on, WD was a train wreck.

I’m not saying Torts isn’t a good coach but it’s pretty apparent that he was an auto-pilot during his tenure in Vancouver.  I don’t blame current management for $&!#canning his ass based off his year here.

Archived