The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Vancouver - Buffalo

12 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Yes another Vancouver buffalo thread. With Sam Reinhart a no show to camp with no contract , might be a good time for the Canucks to inquire .

To buffalo:

tanev

bearcheese

to van:

reinhart

2019 third rounder

thoughts,?

I'm disappointed that Reinhart didn't keep his word and come to camp, but I can't fault him for not coming and risking injury.

As I've said many times on CDC, Tanev is not the kind of d-man that Housley wants in his system.

2 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I'm disappointed that Reinhart didn't keep his word and come to camp, but I can't fault him for not coming and risking injury.

As I've said many times on CDC, Tanev is not the kind of d-man that Housley wants in his system.

What about oj instead?

oj plus bear for Sam and second ?

5 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

I thought Reinhart was a shoe in to show up at camp.....:P

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

I thought Reinhart was a shoe in to show up at camp.....:P

He was, until he wasn't.  Can't blame him.  I thought he was foolish for coming to pre-camp skates and then saying that he would go to camp.  That's pretty much killing most of your leverage.

Just now, PhillipBlunt said:

That is kinda wishy washy of him.

Agreed, but I think he got smart after his agent smacked some sense into him.  RFA's in the NHL have almost no leverage to begin with.  Holding out, especially after refusing arbitration, is the only way that they can force the issue.

The Sabres need to either make him an offer soon or trade him if they want to keep their good-faith bargaining reputation intact.

2 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Why? We've got a lot of winger/center prospects in the system. Unless we are throwing away our first rounder they won't move him. 

Move on. Stop wanting the shiny new toy. 

The Sabres already have 3 first round picks in next year's draft so a 4th would likely be overkill.  If Housley/Botterill have a liking for OJ, I could see them making a deal.  It may take a little more, or someone better, than just Baer to be included though if the Canucks want a 2nd rounder included in the package.  It all depends on how much value each GM assigns to the players.

17 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

What about oj instead?

I wouldn't do that.  I think long term OJ will be as valuable as Reinhart in this league or more.  I also think at this point Bear is worth more to us than a 2nd round pick.  We need offense now and he is one of our better options.

I would've been all over this a while ago, but probably not now. Reinhart is more of a RW now, which we don't need. We also have Hughes, who's development could be positively affected by keeping Tanev. I think that's more important than a realistic asset we could get from a Tanev trade (although I would consider something involving a 1st rounder). As @SabreFan1 fan pointed out, they probably aren't that interested in Tanev right now either, although putting him with Dahlin in Buffalo would have a similar affect to putting him with Hughes here. 

5 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

As @SabreFan1 fan pointed out, they probably aren't that interested in Tanev right now either, although putting him with Dahlin in Buffalo would have a similar affect to putting him with Hughes here. 

Their games are not at all similar.  Tanev would have little to teach Dahlin other than how to conduct himself as an NHL pro.  The Sabres have plenty of overpaid players on the roster already, like Pominville and Okposo, that can teach him that.

2 hours ago, Silky mitts said:

What about oj instead?

Don't get me wrong, Rhino would be a great addition to our club, but shipping out OJ leaves us with exactly 1 potentially elite-core defencemen in Hughes (maybe Woo possibly) if you project our prospects 4-5 years from now.  Don't think we can count on the Rathbones/Utunen's/Brassards/ect.. ever being part of the core - if they do then great, but I wouldn't base trades on the hopes they do pan-out. 

47 minutes ago, SabreFan1 said:

Their games are not at all similar.  Tanev would have little to teach Dahlin other than how to conduct himself as an NHL pro.  The Sabres have plenty of overpaid players on the roster already, like Pominville and Okposo, that can teach him that.

I wasn't trying to compare Dahlin to Hughes, I was just saying that pairing Tanev with a rookie defenseman would probably help said rookie defenseman out. It's a stability and peace of mind thing. 

With that said, I don't think the Sabres need that for Dahlin enough to trade for Tanev.

37 minutes ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

I wasn't trying to compare Dahlin to Hughes, I was just saying that pairing Tanev with a rookie defenseman would probably help said rookie defenseman out. It's a stability and peace of mind thing. 

With that said, I don't think the Sabres need that for Dahlin enough to trade for Tanev.

You misunderstood what I meant.  Tanev and Dahlin's games are not at all similar.  Hughes on the other hand does have similarities with Dahlin.  That's why I'm excited that he's on the Canucks.

3 hours ago, SabreFan1 said:

You misunderstood what I meant.  Tanev and Dahlin's games are not at all similar.  Hughes on the other hand does have similarities with Dahlin.  That's why I'm excited that he's on the Canucks.

I wasn't trying to say that Tanev and Dahlin's games were similar. I was trying to say that putting Tanev with a rookie would likely be a good idea since he provides a calming influence and a lot of stability. Dahlin and Hughes were both rookies, so that would apply to both of them in theory. However, Dahlin isn't an ordinary rookie and likely won't need much of that, hence Buffalo won't trade for Tanev. 

• -SN- changed the title to [Proposal] Vancouver - Buffalo

Archived