The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Trade] Senators trade Erik Karlsson, Francis Perron to Sharks for Chris Tierney, Dylan DeMelo, Josh Norris, Rudolfs Balcers, conditional 2020 1st-round pick, conditional 2019 2nd-round pick

I think the big winner is Tampa Bay here.

This return tells me that Karlsson didn’t agree to Re-sign with anyone.

That would also mean good news for teams in the Pacific as the Sharks are banking on winning this year and will have no picks left and be getting worse for the next several years as their top players get old.

5 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I honestly think that's a pretty good haul for Ottawa, it includes a couple average players, a top prospect, a good prospect, a 1st rounder, a 2nd rounder and 2 conditional picks that we don't know yet.

Is Norris really "a top prospect" though?

He could turn out to be a first line center for all we know, but at this point you're not selling him to fans as a top prospect.

4 minutes ago, khay said:

Yeah but that doesn't mean Norris sucks. Compared to Hughes, yes because Quinn is going to be special. It seems like Norris has good potential. Saw some people compare him to Logan Couture.

Norris could turn out like an Adam Gaudette. But still, he is not enough to land you Eirk Karlsson

Anybody still think we couldn't afford to trade for Karlsson? :lol: Now knowing the price, anybody still taking a hard line on 'firm no'? :lol:

Don't get me wrong, I'm in no way mad management didn't apparently pursue him given where we are (particularly as we have no idea if he'd even re-sign here) but that price would have been an EASY beat from us IMO.

Glad it's over either way! SJS be stacked though! :shock:

8 minutes ago, ruilin96 said:

I mean Lind + Briseboi + one of Hutton/Stecher/Pouliot + one of Baertchi/Goldobin + 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd would of gotten it done :lol:

On the Karlsson Speculation thread I'd basically created that offer with the belief that Karlsson wasn't going to get as much as people expected (even though I believe he's perhaps even more valuable than people realize - which is a tonne). 

Based on the speculated ask I'd pieced together Baertschi, Hutton, Lind and a 1st. Now I realize if we'd added Goldobin and a 2nd, it would be enough.

Man I wish Benning would have put that together, our D would look so badass right now. And our forwards wouldn't look much worse, just not as deep.

I think Karlsson probably refuses to resign with the Canucks even if we offer Ottawa a bigger package. It seems like Karlsson wants to win-now and the Sharks are also in the win-now window. Vancouver likely won't ice a competitive playoff-contending roster until atleast the 2019-20 season.

4 minutes ago, Provost said:

I think the big winner is Tampa Bay here.

This return tells me that Karlsson didn’t agree to Re-sign with anyone.

That would also mean good news for teams in the Pacific as the Sharks are banking on winning this year and will have no picks left and be getting worse for the next several years as their top players get old.

Hopefully that is the case.

2 minutes ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

I mean, he was a top prospect for the Sharks. Similar to Shinkaruk when we traded him.

Yea he was one of their best prospects for sure, but that's not saying much.

There's not a whole lot there in that package that would get me excited for the future as a fan.

I would trade all of those pieces for one legit top prospect.

8 minutes ago, Provost said:

Let’s see

Tierney = Sutter with salary retained

Del Melo = Gudbranson?

2020 1st = our 2nd and a late pick

2019 2nd = our 3rd and a late pick

Norris = Dipietro

Agree with Tierney, DeMelo is more like Pouliot I would say and I would've been comfortable giving up a 2020 1st and 2019 2nd. Josh Norris would probably be more equivalent to Lind. Potentially getting more 1sts is good for Ottawa, but a lot needs to go right for them to get those. Many teams probably could've landed him if this was the deal, but Karlsson must've put the kibosh on many teams.

8 minutes ago, The_Rocket said:

Jumbo Joe and his 5 million come off the books at the end of the year. He will be 40 years old so I’m assuming this is his last season. 

They can use that to sign Karlsson to a 11.5 million aav contract. Then they just need to get a hometown discount on resigning pavelski and find a 2nd 3rd line centre for under 3 million...

If so. They look real good. 

I though the way to get Karlsson would be super expensive. OTT got fleeced again. So, Sens moving to Seattle? Looks like they've just given up.

How is San Jose able to afford it? I'm sure Karlsson will want $10+

Burns - $8

Vlasic - $7

Kane - $7

Couture - $6

Pavelski - $6

Thornton - $5

Archived