The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Robin Lehner opens up about his addiction and bipolar diagnosis

420since1974

"Life does go on living without you being around. One of the hardest things now was getting back to hockey. I am an addict that was diagnosed as bipolar and ADHD with PTSD and trauma. I had never had a sober season of hockey my entire career. Those manic swings, I could see the pattern. When I was hypomanic and in a good mood, I was a solid goalie. The depressive state, not so much.
But now there is a new reality. I can focus on my career."

This article from The Athletic is NOT behind their paywall.

https://theathletic.com/522117/2018/09/13/islanders-goalie-robin-lehner-opens-up-about-his-addiction-and-bipolar-diagnosis-i-could-not-stand-being-alone-in-my-brain/

Best of luck to Robin Lehner!

59 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

"Life does go on living without you being around. One of the hardest things now was getting back to hockey. I am an addict that was diagnosed as bipolar and ADHD with PTSD and trauma. I had never had a sober season of hockey my entire career. Those manic swings, I could see the pattern. When I was hypomanic and in a good mood, I was a solid goalie. The depressive state, not so much.
But now there is a new reality. I can focus on my career."

This article from The Athletic is NOT behind their paywall.

https://theathletic.com/522117/2018/09/13/islanders-goalie-robin-lehner-opens-up-about-his-addiction-and-bipolar-diagnosis-i-could-not-stand-being-alone-in-my-brain/

Best of luck to Robin Lehner!

Thanks for posting. I saw this on Twitter but assumed it was behind a paywall. Look fwd to reading. 

Incredibly brave to come out with his story while maintaining an active NHL career. It's so important that he did. There are likely many NHL and ex-NHL players who struggle with addiction and mental illness and having people willing to speak about it is huge. There's still so much stigma related to mental health, I imagine it's far worse when it comes to sports and the amount of money associated with them.

Good on him, I'll be rooting for him going forward.

1 hour ago, Westcoasting said:

Wow this hits home. I played one year of junior hockey in the early 80's and left with a 6 year long alcohol and drug addiction. I wasn't the only one on that team either. 

All the credit in the world goes to you for making Juniors which meant you had talent to play at that level and more credit to your recovery.

The real world is the best place on earth.

i always wondered how he couldn't be more consistent prior too this. lots of respect on lou for giving him a chance when other teams just beat him up via meetings ect.   and another note if you think robin lehner had alot of emotional content(snap shows) before just wait until this season.  speaking from exp drinking everyday and mixing pills suppresses feelings and emotions quite heavily and the first year of sobriety is the worst as they all come up and now the person has to learn to deal with the feels and not kill anybody around them at the same time.         battle lehner because iam in your corner brother

Man considering he was putting down a case of beer a day, I'm surprised he was still posting over 900 save percentage... 

Hope he can stay clean. The NHLPA does seem like they have a great support system. 

Couldn't help Ribeiro tho 

Archived