The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Edler would LOVE to re-sign with the Canucks.

singularity

4 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Your comparison in points total does not take into account that Edler started every power play with Hank and Danny just by passing the puck to them he has picked up points. That does not make him better offensively than Tanev. He himself has not produced on the power play and at times has struggled to pass the puck to Boeser.

he is not necessarily our best all around D man because he has more points given the injuries to Tanev last year and the lack of power play time Tanev gets. Tanev might be a better option on the point on the PP because Edler has not been getting it done.

I again do not claim Edler is Garbage. As in the Sedin thread, I merely state his Edlers, best days are behind him and we are discussing the future. he is not a number 1 so his role and paycheck should not be the likes of a number 1. NO NTC. Reduced role as the Younger players come on board. Thats what i would see his future being. If he is ok with that then we resign him at a reduced level of pay. If a good trade offer comes along at the deadline then he is off to where ever but no more NMC

He started every PP because he was (unfortunately) our best D at creating offense (despite being a 2 way D and not and offensive D). That's an indictment of the rest of our D core, not him. He did not 'struggle' to pass to Boeser, Boeser's position on the PP is on Edler's back hand. Hence a far higher chance of the puck being intercepted and going the other way.

And no, Tanev, he of the muffin shot and career high 20 points with almost zero offensive ability is not a 'better option'.

Stop ignoring reality.

He's already not paid as a #1D and his role on this team is because of a lack of better options. Getting rid of one of your best players does not 'correct' that. That kind of logic would be akin to a guy missing a finger on one hand simply cutting off the hand because it's 'not filling the role of a full hand' :picard:

He doesn't have an NMC.

22 minutes ago, mikeyman109 said:

Like i said bolded started every first unit power play with the Twins and had 1 goal. Great production for that extra 4 minutes a game.

Sorry no disrespect to you but i will stand by my argument that Tanev is a better D man than Edler at this time.

Edler was great around 2011, hit more, skated better jumped in the rush. Its time for him to play a reduced role if he stays. His best days are behind him. He is not a number 1 D man on any other team except maybe Toronto and Edmonton

C'mon now mikey, Edler had Bieksa as his partner back in those days.  Together they made up a decent first pairing, but neither of them could really be considered #1s.  Alongside Bieksa, Edler played a more physical and confident game, just as he did with Guddy as a partner last season.

I think you missed the part in the write up...  "Edler scored six goals and posted 34 points - his highest total since 2012. He averaged a team-high 24:17 of average ice time per game, which was more than three minutes more than any player on the team."  These are very good stats for a 2nd pairing dman.

I can see Edler getting 3.5-4M for 2 years as an UFA.  I would prefer it if he would waive at TDL for a chance to win a SC and then return to Vancouver for the lower end of stated contract. Keep him with Guddy for 2 more years.

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

He started every PP because he was (unfortunately) our best D at creating offense (despite being a 2 way D and not and offensive D). That's an indictment of the rest of our D core, not him. He did not 'struggle' to pass to Boeser, Boeser's position on the PP is on Edler's back hand. Hence a far higher chance of the puck being intercepted and going the other way.

And no, Tanev, he of the muffin shot and career high 20 points with almost zero offensive ability is not a 'better option'.

Stop ignoring reality.

He's already not paid as a #1D and his role on this team is because of a lack of better options. Getting rid of one of your best players does not 'correct' that. That kind of logic would be akin to a guy missing a finger on one hand simply cutting off the hand because it's 'not filling the role of a full hand' :picard:

He doesn't have an NMC.

He started every power play because he played well with the twins. At times he has great offensive instincts. He is a step slower than before and like a lot of players has not produced despite being on a top ten power play.

If he cant pass on his back hand perhaps he shouldn't be on that power play with Boeser.

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Edler scored 1  power play goal in a calendar year. Thats not good enough. Surely Stecher, Pouliot, Hutton can do better than that. Muffin shot or cannonading blast has little to do with scoring on the power play., Its nice benefit if you have it but its more about getting the puck through the front defender and allowing for a screen or deflection.Alex  has a better shot than most but he doesnt get the puck through very well anymore. Just a side note Quinn Hughes does not have a cannon either. But he will be very effective on the power play.

He has a NTC and what i was getting at was this shouldnt be the case this time around.

6 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

C'mon now mikey, Edler had Bieksa as his partner back in those days.  Together they made up a decent first pairing, but neither of them could really be considered #1s.  Alongside Bieksa, Edler played a more physical and confident game, just as he did with Guddy as a partner last season.

I think you missed the part in the write up...  "Edler scored six goals and posted 34 points - his highest total since 2012. He averaged a team-high 24:17 of average ice time per game, which was more than three minutes more than any player on the team."  These are very good stats for a 2nd pairing dman.

I can see Edler getting 3.5-4M for 2 years as an UFA.  I would prefer it if he would waive at TDL for a chance to win a SC and then return to Vancouver for the lower end of stated contract. Keep him with Guddy for 2 more years.

Did you miss my point about him starting every power play with the twins? he touched the puck and passed to Hank . I could get 34 points doing that. He has one goal in a calendar year on the power play. ONE?

also edited to add , if he signs for 2 years at a reduced pay with no no trade clause i am good with that

37 minutes ago, Kootenay Gold said:

If he has a decent season leading up to the TDL, I could see a scenario where keep him and move MDZ. They may then resign him for say 2 years at 2.5 to 3.5 mil per year if he is agreeable 

He brings more facets to his game than MDZ does, so I'd have no issues with that.

1 minute ago, mikeyman109 said:

He started every power play because he played well with the twins. At times he has great offensive instincts. He is a step slower than before and like a lot of players has not produced despite being on a top ten power play.

If he cant pass on his back hand perhaps he shouldn't be on that power play with Boeser.

The definition of insanity is trying the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Edler scored 1  power play goal in a calendar year. Thats not good enough. Surely Stecher, Pouliot, Hutton can do better than that. Muffin shot or cannonading blast has little to do with scoring on the power play., Its nice benefit if you have it but its more about getting the puck through the front defender and allowing for a screen or deflection.Alex  has a better shot than most but he doesnt get the puck through very well anymore. Just a side note Quinn Hughes does not have a cannon either. But he will be very effective on the power play.

He has a NTC and what i was getting at was this shouldnt be the case this time around.

Best season in years. Not 'a step slower' at all.

Again, him being the best option is an indictment of the rest of the D, not him.

Surely they couldn't or they would have. You think coaches are putting 'inferior' (in your opinion) players out there for craps and giggles? That certainly may change if Hutton/Pouliot get their poop together but that's in no way a given.

Hughes has more offensive ability in an eye lash than Tanev. Muffin shot or otherwise. 

You said 'no more NMC'. More of 'something' would require existing 'something'.

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Best season in years. Not 'a step slower' at all. Yes he is slower, doesn't jump in the rush as much although it was like old times on Danny's first goal in the last home game

Again, him being the best option is an indictment of the rest of the D, not him. Agreed but we are talking about the future after this season. Hughes Juolevi, Woo may be ready and if Edler is signed can we move him if necessary? NO NTC, reduced role, and pay

Surely they couldn't or they would have. You think coaches are putting 'inferior' (in your opinion) players out there for craps and giggles? That certainly may change if Hutton/Pouliot get their poop together but that's in no way a given. I cant see putting Edler out on a power play when he cant pass on his backhand, and we ignore our best shooter on a PP. Thats ridiculous

Hughes has more offensive ability in an eye lash than Tanev. Muffin shot or otherwise. Also than Edler

You said 'no more NMC'. More of 'something' would require existing 'something'.Conceded, if I said NMC i meant we should not offer it.

2 years 3.5mil per otherwise I say onto the next generation of Canucks. It was hard seeing Hammer go, Juice, Burrows, Luongo, the Sedins. But you know what? Time to move on from the old guard. We have pretty solid left D depth. I don't think it'll hurt us to see Edler gone, won't hurt us to bring him back. Two of MDZ, Pouliot and Hutton will be gone come next season I imagine. So it wouldn't hurt to have Edler here. To help shelter guys like Juolevi and Hughes. I have been one of the biggest Edler "haters" (not a huge fan of the term since that's a bit excessive) but he does have a lot of value to us as we try develop the next core. 

Long story short. Not against keeping him, not against moving on. Depending on who we keep/let go on the left side beyond this year I say let him go. Time to finish off that 2011 team.

He's a good #2/3 defenseman. I would re-sign him as he would still be a good top-4 defenseman in the next few years and would help shelter Hughes and Juolevi from tougher minutes as they start out their NHL careers.

Re-sign him for no more than 4 years; A 3 year extension would be perfect.

Archived