The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Bolts waive Dotchin for breach

TheRick

https://www.tsn.ca/report-bolts-waive-dotchin-for-breach-1.1173006

The Tampa Bay Lightning have placed defenceman Jake Dotchin on waivers for the purpose of contract termination, according to multiple reports.

Joe Smith of The Athletic reports Dotchin had a "material breach" of his contract, leading to this move by the Lightning. He adds it "sounds like" the Lightning were unhappy about Dotchin's conditioning upon reporting to training camp.

The 24-year-old appeared in 48 games for the Lightning last season, posting three goals and 11 assists. He averaged 16:29 of ice time per game in the regular season and did not dress for the team in the postseason.

Dotchin was entering the final season of  a two-year, $1.625 million contract signed with the Lightning last summer. The right-hand shot will be an unrestricted free agent once his contract termination is complete.

The Lightning drafted Dotchin in the sixth round of the 2012 NHL Draft.

He's a pretty big young RHD and wouldn't mind the Canucks taking a chance on him and having him in the system but I guess it all depends if he has other character issues that hasn't been reported yet?

1 minute ago, TheRick said:

He's a pretty big young RHD and wouldn't mind the Canucks taking a chance on him and having him in the system but I guess it all depends if he has other character issues that hasn't been reported yet?

Getting bigger day by day apparently :P

5 minutes ago, TheRick said:

I don't think the Canucks need another over weight d-man, as it took the last guy quite some time and drama before he got into reasonable shape.

The Lightning have so much depth that they can terminate a contract of a young, up and coming RHD.

I have to think the material breach is more serious than merely a lack of conditioning however... if a player showed up with poor conditioning, then it would seem to me that a team would usually demote the guy to the minors, even if he's waiver eligible.

16 minutes ago, Quantum said:

You'd think they could trade him for a pick before doing this. A little surprising but the Lightning are in a bit of disarray with the sudden resignation/moving to a "Senior Advisor" role of Yzerman too.

Why would anybody trade for a player they could get on waivers for free?

59 minutes ago, TheRick said:

Sounds like a lazy version of Guddy.  Besides, who does he replace?  Can't see JB sending Guddy, Stech or Tanev to Utica.

18 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Why would anybody trade for a player they could get on waivers for free?

A borderline player often has more value if he has passed waivers. No need to keep him on the NHL roster. Can also try him on NHL roster and if things don't work out can send him straight to the AHL without a chance of losing him ( to waivers ) ! Pittsburgh wanted Pedan in the Pouliot trade, but only if he had cleared waivers.

8 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

A borderline player often has more value if he has passed waivers. No need to keep him on the NHL roster. Can also try him on NHL roster and if things don't work out can send him straight to the AHL without a chance of losing him ( to waivers ) ! Pittsburgh wanted Pedan in the Pouliot trade, but only if he had cleared waivers.

Yes but his context was trading him before waivers.

1 minute ago, SingleThorn said:

@Quantum was asking why TB would not trade Dotchin, rather than put him on waivers. Dotchin has very little trade value until he has cleared waivers. TB is doing what they have to do to create a small amount of value for him.

Dotchin is on unconditional waivers - they are terminating his contract. 

7 minutes ago, mll said:

Dotchin is on unconditional waivers - they are terminating his contract. 

Yes, that does make a difference. The header in the article talks of 'waivers', but the second reference is re 'unconditional waivers'. Big difference !

Edit: Now that I've read the SN article, it really seems that conditioning is a red herring. We'll see.

52 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Sounds like a lazy version of Guddy.  Besides, who does he replace?  Can't see JB sending Guddy, Stech or Tanev to Utica.

I meant after his contract gets terminated, the Canucks could sign him and send him to the minors and hope that he gets back in shape and if not, just cut him loose. If he other character issues, forget it.

Archived