The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Botchford done at The Province?

Gnarcore

If so your thoughts are?   

138 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

And you know this how?

Paul Kariya and Joe Sakic are a couple of the more commonly known stars who didn't want to come home to play because of the media circus (and likely other issues).  Bure left quite happy to hide himself away from the media in Florida.  

To question Vancouver's media's role in being tough on players is being ignorant to years of history here.  Every free agency the media even talks about players not necessarily wanting to be under the microscope here.....and that's mainly driven by the media.  Botch has been a pretty good contributor to this culture.

22 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Paul Kariya and Joe Sakic are a couple of the more commonly known stars who didn't want to come home to play because of the media circus (and likely other issues).  Bure left quite happy to hide himself away from the media in Florida.  

To question Vancouver's media's role in being tough on players is being ignorant to years of history here.  Every free agency the media even talks about players not necessarily wanting to be under the microscope here.....and that's mainly driven by the media.  Botch has been a pretty good contributor to this culture.

I suspect the rabid fans in Canada, making it impossible for players to enjoy an evening out, plays a bigger role than the media. Bure never complained much about the media here. He did complain about fans constantly approaching him when he went out though.

Media can be annoying in any NHL city. But players enjoy far more anonymity when going out with friends and family in US cities than they do here. They can't even go to a small town or resort in Canada without being recognized. In the US they can often go out without being bothered by fans in the city they actually play in. This is a big part of the reason so many Canadian stars don't even return home to Canada after retiring. Both Kariya and Sakic, among others, are examples of this. Sakic remained in Denver after retirement and Kariya returned to California.

Well, in order for me to buy into Botch behind a paywall, it has to be more than opinion.

If I'm going to spend money, I want intelligent points supported by research, facts and data not anonymous sources or opinion. Some type of real investigative journalism or responsible journalism.

If Botch wants me to support him financially, he needs to up his game in a big way, find a way to stand out, be innovative, and make himself truly unique.

9 hours ago, Dr. Crossbar said:

Well, in order for me to buy into Botch behind a paywall, it has to be more than opinion.

If I'm going to spend money, I want intelligent points supported by research, facts and data not anonymous sources or opinion. Some type of real investigative journalism or responsible journalism.

If Botch wants me to support him financially, he needs to up his game in a big way, find a way to stand out, be innovative, and make himself truly unique.

So that’s an emphatic no then?

On 14/09/2018 at 11:46 AM, Gnarcore said:

So recently noticed in my Facebook feed that Jason Botchford is writing for The Athletic to provide coverage on our beloved Canucks. For those not aware The Atlantic is a paid site providing quality sports coverage (well typically...it's sure to go down hill with him there...).  The price is a little much $15 per month frankly considering how much free coverage it out there. However, as I mentioned earlier, the coverage in most cases is quite good in the articles I have read. 

I hadn't anything about him not being with the Province anymore but haven't seen an article from him there in weeks. 

Maybe my complaint emails actually worked?  :lol:

What?  The most expensive plan works out to $7.50 a month....The most popular is $4.80 a month and they constantly have sales that work out to $2.50-3/month overall price.  I have got to say The Athletic is a fantastic site, theres non of these half assed articles just for click for ad revenue like TSN or Sportsnet will use, or even the province.  Theres actual detail in all the posts and I quite often learn stuff or get indepth stories that I didn't know and is interesting.  

Now onto the Botch part.... I was never a huge Botch fan, sometimes he would have good articles but most of the time they were just your same run in the mill as anyone else.  The Athletic seems to have a much higher standard so I think he will rise to is since many times his were time sensitive and just to make it to print for the paper.  If his articles stink I will just skip them but if anyone likes reading sports indepth and especially getting many teams/sports indepth then I would suggest spending the couple bucks a month on the Athletic subscription.

On 14/09/2018 at 11:59 AM, Tre Mac said:

I am sure many would wish he was in the atlantic, deep down there  with the titanic lol.

I am sure he'll end up at TSN1040 co hosting the mourning show with Pratt, what a gong show that'll be...

Doesn't matter whos with Pratt, Pratt makes everything a gong show.....

5 hours ago, Salacious Crumb said:

So that’s an emphatic no then?

Emphatic no right now. I leave the door open to revisit down the road.

Hopefully the paywall model pulls him forward to a higher standard of quality. The state of media standards have been so low for years that meeting the demand for responsible journalism is actually becoming an opportunity to be innovative ... lol.

Archived