The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Panthers set embarrassing new low in attendance for preseason game against Preds

Crimson-JH

Some people may look at the 700 people at a preseason game on a Monday afternoon as a sign that teams don't belong in Florida....

....but then again, without teams in Florida, does your shiny new toy Quinn Hughes grow up to play hockey?  Because out of those 700 fans, there may be the next Hughes brothers watching and falling in love with the sport....you never know.  

14 hours ago, Brad Marchand said:

Worth noting that the game started at 3pm on a Monday.

Thanks for sharing that. Pretty hard to get to a game that starts at 3pm. Not making any excuse for them. Florida overall is just a weird state. When it comes to sports. Not sure about the Dolphins, but the  state has shown a tendency to only support teams that are good. Look at the Marlins and Rays. 2 of the worst attendance's in MLB. Yet when TB rays were a perennial good team the fans came out. Even the Heat a couple of years ago when they were dominant were not always sold out. Playoffs included. The lightning and Garry have done  a great job with that franchise. Even  in their rougher years they still drew better than a lot of the other teams. I think Hockey fans are different than Baseball, Basketball teams. Look at the Jays. for 3 years led all of MLB in attendance. Two rough years and it has dropped by 20% Florida and the Canes need 3-5 years of continued success. I think once a fan base is established Hockey fans tend to be a bit more loyal.

People rag on Garry. Ya he has had a dew lockouts under his reign. But without  him I think the NHL would have turned into the CFL What he has done in the states is really quite remarkable. Look at Nashville. When  they first started fans were given a book at home games to understand the rules. Vegas being the first one in. Now has a rabid fan base. Seattle already has the fans and will be a huge success. Don't forget at one point McCaw was going to move the  team to Portland. Garry put the kybosh on that.

26 minutes ago, youngguns19 said:

Thanks for sharing that. Pretty hard to get to a game that starts at 3pm. Not making any excuse for them. Florida overall is just a weird state. When it comes to sports. Not sure about the Dolphins, but the  state has shown a tendency to only support teams that are good. Look at the Marlins and Rays. 2 of the worst attendance's in MLB. Yet when TB rays were a perennial good team the fans came out. Even the Heat a couple of years ago when they were dominant were not always sold out. Playoffs included. The lightning and Garry have done  a great job with that franchise. Even  in their rougher years they still drew better than a lot of the other teams. I think Hockey fans are different than Baseball, Basketball teams. Look at the Jays. for 3 years led all of MLB in attendance. Two rough years and it has dropped by 20% Florida and the Canes need 3-5 years of continued success. I think once a fan base is established Hockey fans tend to be a bit more loyal.

People rag on Garry. Ya he has had a dew lockouts under his reign. But without  him I think the NHL would have turned into the CFL What he has done in the states is really quite remarkable. Look at Nashville. When  they first started fans were given a book at home games to understand the rules. Vegas being the first one in. Now has a rabid fan base. Seattle already has the fans and will be a huge success. Don't forget at one point McCaw was going to move the  team to Portland. Garry put the kybosh on that.

Source for McCaw moving the team to Portland? He owned the building, why go somewhere else when you don't pay rent?

2 hours ago, youngguns19 said:

Attendance was never an issue for Nashville when they first came into the league and during their rough years in the early to mid 2000s. They've always been a good and tough team to play against (thanks to Trotz) and have always had a rabid and passionate fanbase. They've been a really good team for over a decade and are one of the elite teams in the NHL for the past few years so attendance will most likely never be a problem for Nashville.

Here's Nashville's year by year average attendance:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7024

7 hours ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Source for McCaw moving the team to Portland? He owned the building, why go somewhere else when you don't pay rent?

Teams south of us tend to for some reason not have a problem often with giving corporate welfare to billionaires (ie., either partially or fully paid arenas by taxpayers).  Granted it even happens here (ie., Edmonton arena).

So sad too, they don't have a terrible team :unsure: They have dirt cheap tickets, a solid team. I wonder if a playoff birth this season will help grow the team. Hopefully as Barkov and Ekblad start to grow their name's start getting bigger too. Barkov I don't think gets nearly enough praise for how good he is. I'd go to Panther games to watch him play. They have to be on their last legs as a franchise in the NHL. The Panthers would sell more tickets in a small Canadian market than they do in Sunrise Florida.

it does not matter if its preseason or regular season or if the games started early. The fact that Florida Carolina, Arizona still have teams is a joke. The NHL told winnipeg that if your build is not sold out every night, we will move the team again, yet they allowing 7000 fans to attend these game. That POS Jacobs said Queec wont work because their a small market and wont sell out every night. But how  **** are Arizon, Florida, Carolina working with only 7k fans attending. I really want to know the NHL reason

22 hours ago, RonMexico said:

Why? They are in tough in a market that has options. The Vancouver Canucks market has the Lions, Caps and Cs to compete with. Not exactly the cream of the crop of competitors for entertainment dollars. Canucks are the top dog in the market....Panthers have to compete with the arguably more popular MLB, NFL and NBA in that market. Only so much household budget to go around.

does the nhl have that issue in New York, Pittsberg, Chicago, LA, Minnesota, Detroit, Boston. Stop making excusses for that pathetic franchise

4 hours ago, Squamfan said:

it does not matter if its preseason or regular season or if the games started early. The fact that Florida Carolina, Arizona still have teams is a joke. The NHL told winnipeg that if your build is not sold out every night, we will move the team again, yet they allowing 7000 fans to attend these game. That POS Jacobs said Queec wont work because their a small market and wont sell out every night. But how  **** are Arizon, Florida, Carolina working with only 7k fans attending. I really want to know the NHL reason

When you consider that the population of the Miami metropolitan area is over 6.5 million people (which covers a huge region including Miami, Fort Lauderdale, and yes, Sunrise where the Panthers play), Quebec City's population which is roughly 540,000 doesn't even come close to that area. The prospect of drawing close to a million fans as opposed to half a million for the NHL is too big of a gamble to not at least keep venturing into the region. It's just an extremely long term investment that Bettman and co are banking on 

22 hours ago, Apple Juice said:

Attendance was never an issue for Nashville when they first came into the league and during their rough years in the early to mid 2000s. They've always been a good and tough team to play against (thanks to Trotz) and have always had a rabid and passionate fanbase. They've been a really good team for over a decade and are one of the elite teams in the NHL for the past few years so attendance will most likely never be a problem for Nashville.

Here's Nashville's year by year average attendance:

http://www.hockeydb.com/nhl-attendance/att_graph.php?tmi=7024

My point with Nashville was more of how little the fans knew, Totally agree they had a good fan base from the start and are one of the model franchises today. And I  think their expansion fee was around 150 mill. I know the Sharks was 75. Now Vegas 500 mill Seattle. 600 mill. Amazing how much more on the map the NHL is since the 90"s. Cheers

2 hours ago, youngguns19 said:

My point with Nashville was more of how little the fans knew, Totally agree they had a good fan base from the start and are one of the model franchises today. And I  think their expansion fee was around 150 mill. I know the Sharks was 75. Now Vegas 500 mill Seattle. 600 mill. Amazing how much more on the map the NHL is since the 90"s. Cheers

Didn't they do the same with Vegas? Handed out little booklets of the rules of the game? 

On 20/09/2018 at 11:05 AM, Apple Juice said:

Didn't they do the same with Vegas? Handed out little booklets of the rules of the game? 

Nope, we never got any sort of booklet handed out, only posters with Gameday guide on the backside. I can assure you that since I’ve been to 1 preseason, 6 regular game, including home opener, 3 playoffs, and 1 Stanley Cup Final games. 

Archived