The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Virtanen for Sanheim

vannuck59

Virtanen would actually fit in well with Philadelphia. Both drafted the same year in the first round. Canucks could sure use some help on D, and with more forward prospects up and coming, maybe Jake would also benefit from a new start. He's been dumped on here by a lot of people.  

41 minutes ago, N7Nucks said:

I wouldn't say he is floundering, he had a solid game last game. Just seems like management/coaching staff have an idea of what they want him to do. Be a solid energy guy on the 3rd line. I guess it's just about time we stop hoping something will change and that he'll get any sort of looks as a top 6 guy. 

If management gets any inkling of a hint that he's becoming a Tom Wilson type, he stays.  

Before Tom (who was in his 5th season) broke out with 35 points in 78 games, he was at 69 points in 313 games (0.22/ game). 
Jake, in his 3rd season, put up "career bests" of 20 points in 75 games (0.24/ game), while playing around 12 minutes.  He is also driving the net pretty hard.

Wilson's breakout can largely be attributed to being on the same line as Ovie on the top unit, though of course he earned that spot.

If Jake can get nearly the same say with Pettersson or if he's the 3rd big player with Bo and Brock, that could easily elevate his production.

In short, he's looking better in his trajectory, and I'd rather not give up on him (same goes for Hutton) just yet.      

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Yup you heard me time to Fish , we are done cutting bait.Trading youth for youth Jake is floundering need a new start ,Travis Sanheim would up grade our D and give us PP puck distributor . add Hutton if necessary 

What?!?    He looks like he has carried his speed and tenacity from last year into this year.   He was everything you want from a power forward in his time in exhibition so far inclusive of generating a lot of shots and laying some good hits.   I like Sanheim and would love to see him join the Canucks but not at the expense of Jake Virtanen.     Not sure what player you have been watching or how you define "floundering" but he has been just fine so far in pre-season.    

2 hours ago, Canckelhead said:

No, He's too young for trade away. Lets not forget Todd Bertuzzi and Cam Neely !

So because of one mistakes 32 years ago, we shouldn't trade any young players?  

Based on that logic, we should have never traded Stojanov for Naslund.  Might has well been more patient with Schneider too instead of trading him for Horvat...

Win some, lose some.

17 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Based on that logic, we should have never traded Stojanov for Naslund.  Might has well been more patient with Schneider too instead of trading him for Horvat...

Win some, lose some.

Trade away but don't trade Virtanen unless the haul is massive as you will regret it.   Such a unique combination of speed/size/skill and with this team projecting to be playoff competitive in the next few years, having this sort of player is almost essential for success.   Few of these players are ever acquired by trade - they are more typically homegrown and patiently.  

23 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Win some, lose some.

Virtanen has size and speed like no others and he is still way to young to trade away. There is a reason Jim picked him so high in the draft, to trade him away now for next to nothing would be idiotic 

I think he's looking better than ever. He's getting under the other teams skin and it could be argued that we completed the comeback last night, partially because his play got to Los Angeles and inspired the guys on the bench to kick it up another gear. We seemed to find new energy after his encounter in the 3rd.

Archived