The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

NCIX Customer Data Sold Online

trek

Dang, I'm sure some of my credit cards and addresses are probably somewhere in those database tables... I guess any former NCIX customers will need to monitor their credit card statements closely.

RCMP and privacy commissioner investigate alleged NCIX breach

Questions raised after ads appear offering old computer equipment for sale

Joan Marshall · CBC · Posted: Sep 21, 2018 6:46 PM PT | Last Updated: an hour ago
Authorities are investigating a claim that NCIX's database servers have been advertised online with all of the information still intact. (Getty Images)

The RCMP and Office of the Information and Privacy Commissioner of British Columbia are investigating allegations of a possible data breach involving the bankrupt computer retailer NCIX.

Authorities are investigating a claim that NCIX's database servers have been advertised online with all of the information still intact.

In doing so, it may have compromised the security of countless customers. 

According to a statement from Richmond RCMP, the case was opened Thursday and police have seized the servers.

The investigations began after a feature article appeared on a cyber security website called PrivacyFly this week.

The piece detailed how the author arranged to meet a man who was selling computer hardware he advertised as being from the now defunct company NCIX. 

NCIX computers for sale

The author Travis Doering is a systems analyst who says he noticed a Craigslist ad listing NCIX  computers for sale.

Doering says he arranged to meet the seller, a man who called himself Jeff, in a warehouse in Richmond.  He says he was stunned when the man offered the information from offline backup servers on millions of transactions.

"Every record for more than 10 years was there."

He says he saw personal data of customers, including addresses, phone numbers.and financial information.

"Credit card information was there in plain text with numbers, CVVs [Card Verification Value] and expiry dates," Doering said.

He also saw personal income tax information about employees such as T4 statements, and showed some of the statement to CBC News.

CBC has reached out to former NCIX employees but has not heard back.

Computer experts say they don't understand how this information would not have been encrypted.  

Technical expert Graham Williams says that was shocked at reports of the breach and worries about how much information may be out there.

"Looking at other breaches of Canadian retailers we haven't seen this scope of information of user data, this amount of unencrypted data."

NCIX was a British Columbia-based computer seller that filed bankruptcy papers on Dec. 1, 2017.
The retailer closed its outlets in both Vancouver and Richmond.

On Friday, the office of the privacy commissioner refused to reveal the scope of the investigation. 

WIth files from Belle Puri

Source: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/rcmp-and-privacy-commissioner-investigate-alleged-ncix-breach-1.4833976

45 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Fortunately, the card on which I bought my PC stuff is no longer in commission. 

good.

as far as I know the people who use the same password for everything might be screwed

I use to work for NCIX, I am msging my former co workers who was close to the owner about this.  I will try to update people if I can.

I got a PC from them in 2008.

It was completely FUBAR on arrival.  The video card was actually non functioning.  And had someone's name scratched into it.  So they put in a 2nd hand NON functioning card.  Was a 600 dollar new card btw.  And then I found out that the video card AND the ram went on sale the next day after I purchased the system, which totaled something like 400 dollars less.  So, I told them that I just wanted my money back.  So then they told me that I would get twice as much ram, and a one step up video card, and the "repairs" for free.  It took 3 weeks for them to get me the PC back to me, and the heat sink on the CPU had been replaced, was clearly 2nd hand, FULL of dust and sounded like a chainsaw when you started it up.  I took it out, cleaned it, bent the fan back so it wouldnt grind the fins, and told this story to a hundred or more people over the years.  What a crap business..

They were con-artists, and I am happy to hear that they went bankrupt.

49 minutes ago, xereau said:

It was completely FUBAR on arrival.  The video card was actually non functioning.  And had someone's name scratched into it.  So they put in a 2nd hand NON functioning card.  Was a 600 dollar new card btw.  And then I found out that the video card AND the ram went on sale the next day after I purchased the system, which totaled something like 400 dollars less.  So, I told them that I just wanted my money back.  So then they told me that I would get twice as much ram, and a one step up video card, and the "repairs" for free.  It took 3 weeks for them to get me the PC back to me, and the heat sink on the CPU had been replaced, was clearly 2nd hand, FULL of dust and sounded like a chainsaw when you started it up.  I took it out, cleaned it, bent the fan back so it wouldnt grind the fins, and told this story to a hundred or more people over the years.  What a crap business..

That sucks, but I shopped with them for years - back when they were PC97 in the early 90's and never ever had an issue with them.

i bought a pc from the burnaby store, had the pc now for 6years lol yes :( and still runs great, had to put in a ssd and new vc, but everything else still doing great, and i can play all the new games , guess having a 1080TI in it helps, but they did great on mine, and i paid cash...so kinda glad ..after reading this

9 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

good.

as far as I know the people who use the same password for everything might be screwed

I use to work for NCIX, I am msging my former co workers who was close to the owner about this.  I will try to update people if I can.

I thought about it and was like crap.... I use generic passwords for sites like that but then i remembered shaw decomissioned my email like 3 years ago so my emails not even the same.  Its got to be almost 10 years since I ordered stuff from there, my CC, address, email, etc. has all changed by now thankfully.

9 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

good.

I canceled my credit card when I saw this on Reddit a few days ago. You're &^@#ed dude the Reddit article is way more detailed, former employees SIN are compromised. 

9 hours ago, xereau said:

They were great back then for me 2007 - 2011ish. Once Amazon became big it really hurt them. I recently bought a computer from them and had awful customer service so much so that I told them I would never shop from them again after spending 20-30k in their store over the last 10 years. Basically, similar to what you said about things going on sale. I purchased a computer from them to be custom built because I didn't want to install the liquid cooling, I've done it - it's a pain, anyway a ton of the parts were back ordered so I had to change my whole build around but I didn't want to compromise on the liquid cooling. After like a month of waiting I finally was like okay whatever I will just get this liquid cooling system and then he put the order through to be built the next day I checked the prices on Amazon and the 1080ti FTW card on Amazon is like 900 bucks and NCIX had it for 1200... I brought this up and said I want the card for 900 and you guys say you price match... The Manager says no and then says if I want to cancel my order it's 35% restocking fee... I was like you know I am a repeat customer who has spent a small fortune in your store building 5 computers and buying multiple laptops and sending several people to buy from you... Not only that I chose to do business with you when you didn't have the parts I wanted and now you're telling me you're not going to price match because the order has been processed even though I still don't even have it. Then after ALL that they said it would be built in a few days and shipped to the Vancouver store. After like 2-3 weeks and many phone calls they said oh no we don't have it yet...I just &^@#ing went in there looked behind the desk and I'm like buddy its right there...that is my PC and he looks at it and like oh yea yea... Like it had been sitting there for two and a half weeks... Then my free serial code for the destiny two I had to bitch constantly at them to get it. A month or so after this they went bankrupt... 

I honestly was like wow you guys are such a bunch of idiots. So happy they went out of business. Then this leak stuff popped up on Reddit and it's just like really? You're still going to screw with me.

I will say though Memory Express has been great. They match Amazon and sell stuff on Amazon, which is how I found them. My brother just built a computer with Memory Express they match Amazon and had better sales with other parts, plus they really helped him with other aspects of the build. The one good thing that came out of this is Memory Express.

11 hours ago, xereau said:

I built my pc myself but I got several parts from there lol. Not good to hear. 

Sounds like somebody is gonna get in big trouble.

gonna chime in here the best and most honest way I can.

their main downfall was not really amazon, it was more of less management who thought the best way of expanding was more and more and more stores.  Their best location was Burnaby and they made 60% of their earnings through online.    Suggestions were made to t hem to start selling also on Amazon and eBay, but they never did.  they also refused to sell apple products which also shot them in the foot as apple can land users onto their site.   selling random gadgets was also a downfall. they very well would still be here if they just continued doing local business, and online, sure he will be stuck at making maybe 1-2 million per year, but its better then being millions in debt right now. 

PC Gaming is on the down hill too, as people is phasing to lab tops and tablets. 

3 hours ago, MoneypuckOverlord said:

gonna chime in here the best and most honest way I can.

their main downfall was not really amazon, it was more of less management who thought the best way of expanding was more and more and more stores.  Their best location was Burnaby and they made 60% of their earnings through online.    Suggestions were made to t hem to start selling also on Amazon and eBay, but they never did.  they also refused to sell apple products which also shot them in the foot as apple can land users onto their site.   selling random gadgets was also a downfall. they very well would still be here if they just continued doing local business, and online, sure he will be stuck at making maybe 1-2 million per year, but its better then being millions in debt right now. 

PC Gaming is on the down hill too, as people is phasing to lab tops and tablets. 

Just the distribution from amazon or ebay would have been huge.They could have learned so much from how those companies operate.

I've bought quite a few computer parts from them over the years. Nothing since 2015 however, and fortunately I've moved and have a different credit card now. I always had pretty good service from them, maybe I just got lucky? I never had them build anything though, I ordered all the parts and built myself.

On 9/23/2018 at 11:27 PM, Violator said:

Just the distribution from amazon or ebay would have been huge.They could have learned so much from how those companies operate.

Not just that but the FAR lower overhead (costs of running an actual physical location - forget their inane policy of starting up stores in far too many locations) when running an online business.

(I think *both* Linus & Esther had a restraining order put out on Alf as well - for some reason, Alf thought they both had alot of cats.:P)

Archived