The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Pouliot to Edmonton (Proposal)

J.I.A.H.N

Trying to think this through logically....

Facts:

1. Edmonton is short a defenceman until Sekera is back

2. Edmonton has $778,834 in projected can space

3. Vancouver has excess cap space

4. Pouliot plays both LD and RD and has some versatility 

5. Pouliot is an RFA next year

6. Pouliot scored 22 points last season which would have put him 2nd in defenseman scoring 4 behind Nurse with 26 points

7. Sekera was -15 last year, with 0-8-8 pts

8. Pouliot was -22 last year, with 3-19-22 pts

So, first off, I am not suggesting that Pouliot is equal to Sekera, only that he would be a decent, short term, answer to Edmonton's defenseman problem...

and I do suggest, that Pouliot would be a interesting project for the money, for Edmonton to try...….

Proposed trade...…………...

Vancouver trades Derrick Pouliot  @ 50%  + Vancouver's 2019 - 4th (est. 103 OA) 

to 

Edmonton's for  2019 - 2nd (est. 46th OA)

So, hopefully I can de-rail some of the ney sayers, by saying that I know Pouliot is a NHL fringe player, but I believe Edmonton does not have many choices, and I believe the Canucks can spare him. I also think that buying cap space, to fit Pouliot, along with the 4th round pick, is worth the 2nd to Edmonton.

This opens space for one of our prospects and gives Edmonton a short term fix. Note: They can not afford him unless Vancouver pays 50%, so no fear of Edmonton just waiting for the waiver wire.

IMO, Edmonton will have to pass on a lot of waiver wire players, because of that fact. Also, Pouliot's versatility gives Edmonton the same type of he gave Vancouver, which is probably why he had such a long leash, for what he brings.

Ok......flame away! 

25 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

4. Pouliot plays both LD and RD

....just not all that well.:P

Seriously though.....Canucks can only have three retained salaries at any one time (one of which is Luongo's contract).  I'd rather leave as much flexability for Benning during this season to retain salaries on other contracts (moving players for picks/prospects).  I doubt Pouliot would fetch anything more than a marginal asset regardless of salary retention (but that's just my opinion, which isn't of any higher expertise than even Alf....)

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Seriously though.....Canucks can only have three retained salaries at any one time (one of which is Luongo's contract).  I'd rather leave as much flexability for Benning during this season to retain salaries on other contracts (moving players for picks/prospects).  I doubt Pouliot would fetch anything more than a marginal asset regardless of salary retention (but that's just my opinion, which isn't of any higher expertise than even Alf....)

This cannot be emphasized enough.........

1 hour ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Seriously though also, Pouliot's contract ends at the end of the year, and exactly how many trades have you seen, outside of Vegas, that are retaining contracts, and who and what would we be getting back? You honestly see us doing 2 of these trades this year?

Honestly speaking....(Joke!)…...if we can get a 2nd rounder, in any way for this up and coming draft we should go for it...…..I think we hold onto the other for as you say, another possible trade....I mean you actually think you will get 2 - 1st for cap retention trades by the end of the year......and who are they going to displace? We all ready have too many forwards......maybe one happens, but not 2

As for what Pouliot brings...….well at the start of this, I thought he could bring a 3rd or 4th rounder by himself, add to that cap retention and it improves in value to a late 2nd, early 3rd, add a 4th rounder to it and it drops into the area of Edmonton's 2nd

Pouliot will not be waived.....IMO either way....either him or Hutton will get moved, or Biega gets waivered......IMO

1 hour ago, janisahockeynut said:

Seriously though also, Pouliot's contract ends at the end of the year, and exactly how many trades have you seen, outside of Vegas, that are retaining contracts, and who and what would we be getting back? You honestly see us doing 2 of these trades this year?

Honestly speaking....(Joke!)…...if we can get a 2nd rounder, in any way for this up and coming draft we should go for it...…..I think we hold onto the other for as you say, another possible trade....I mean you actually think you will get 2 - 1st for cap retention trades by the end of the year......and who are they going to displace? We all ready have too many forwards......maybe one happens, but not 2

As for what Pouliot brings...….well at the start of this, I thought he could bring a 3rd or 4th rounder by himself, add to that cap retention and it improves in value to a late 2nd, early 3rd, add a 4th rounder to it and it drops into the area of Edmonton's 2nd

Pouliot will not be waived.....IMO either way....either him or Hutton will get moved, or Biega gets waivered......IMO

you repeatedly undervalue the limited salary retention slots

a team simply does not retain on a 1 million dollar contract

5 hours ago, coastal.view said:

you repeatedly undervalue the limited salary retention slots

a team simply does not retain on a 1 million dollar contract

If that is your only argument it is weak...…………...

The Canucks would hold a wet bathing towel from Tom Larshied for the  rest of the year to get that 2nd from Edmonton

and the cap space  has absolutely no value us if not used...…...which there us no guarantee of

Pouliot did not play bad tonight, and Edmonton can't afford his contract straight up/////////////or anyone elses for that matter

So instead of slamming in the petty way you usually do

make your point clear and precise, so that we can understand you

22 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Trying to think this through logically....

Facts:

1. Edmonton is short a defenceman until Sekera is back

2. Edmonton has $778,834 in projected can space

3. Vancouver has excess cap space

4. Pouliot plays both LD and RD and has some versatility 

5. Pouliot is an RFA next year

6. Pouliot scored 22 points last season which would have put him 2nd in defenseman scoring 4 behind Nurse with 26 points

7. Sekera was -15 last year, with 0-8-8 pts

8. Pouliot was -22 last year, with 3-19-22 pts

So, first off, I am not suggesting that Pouliot is equal to Sekera, only that he would be a decent, short term, answer to Edmonton's defenseman problem...

and I do suggest, that Pouliot would be a interesting project for the money, for Edmonton to try...….

Proposed trade...…………...

Vancouver trades Derrick Pouliot  @ 50%  + Vancouver's 2019 - 4th (est. 103 OA) 

to 

Edmonton's for  2019 - 2nd (est. 46th OA)

So, hopefully I can de-rail some of the ney sayers, by saying that I know Pouliot is a NHL fringe player, but I believe Edmonton does not have many choices, and I believe the Canucks can spare him. I also think that buying cap space, to fit Pouliot, along with the 4th round pick, is worth the 2nd to Edmonton.

This opens space for one of our prospects and gives Edmonton a short term fix. Note: They can not afford him unless Vancouver pays 50%, so no fear of Edmonton just waiting for the waiver wire.

IMO, Edmonton will have to pass on a lot of waiver wire players, because of that fact. Also, Pouliot's versatility gives Edmonton the same type of he gave Vancouver, which is probably why he had such a long leash, for what he brings.

Ok......flame away! 

I don't mind this deal.

Part of establishing pick value is gauging talent at pick position verses player your giving up.

There is one defender that may be available in the second round that I'm interested in.

Kaeden Korczak from Kelowna. He may even jump into the late first round. 

Having a second second rounder could be used to jump up to get him.

Imo, Korczak should project as a more rounded defenseman then Pouliot.

Good thread, the merit to me is that we still have too many guys heading into camp and if a minor trade could be made for any of them then that’s cake for us.  EDM does need help and this does make sense, it wouldn’t be to difficult for them to wiggle under the cap for Pouilet, maybe they trade back something else to help make this work and we send them something else too.  As in add Granlund, and they send us back someone who they don’t want to keep and gives them wiggle room.

Archived