The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] 18 players - Sept. 26, 2018

12 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

Remind me again what Calgary traded to get Rychel...then to waive him? Kinda weird...unless they assumed that Shink wouldn't make the team and the feel was that he wouldn't pass waivers...other than that thinking I'm not quite sure what Mr. Lube Jr is thinking there...

I think it was a change of scenery for both players. Shinkaruk was never going to make the Flames roster and Rychel had fallen out of favor with Montreal. I bet both teams were hoping that maybe if they swapped locales the players would have a fire lit under there asses and make the adjustments to make their respective teams. Clearly that hasn't happened.

Rychel and Rodin, from this list, are the most likely to get claimed but I truly doubt anybody does get claimed from this list.

The next guy who could get claimed, however, is Garret Sparks if he's put on waivers.

1 minute ago, Quantum said:

I think it was a change of scenery for both players. Shinkaruk was never going to make the Flames roster and Rychel had fallen out of favor with Montreal. I bet both teams were hoping that maybe if they swapped locales the players would have a fire lit under there asses and make the adjustments to make their respective teams. Clearly that hasn't happened.

Rychel and Rodin, from this list, are the most likely to get claimed but I truly doubt anybody does get claimed from this list.

The next guy who could get claimed, however, is Garret Sparks if he's put on waivers.

I'd take Sparks over Nilsson in an instance. I'd even trade for Sparks and drop Nilsson to waivers if the cost was low (bubble player or late round pick)

4 minutes ago, canucklehead44 said:

I'd take Sparks over Nilsson in an instance. I'd even trade for Sparks and drop Nilsson to waivers if the cost was low (bubble player or late round pick)

100%, I think the Canucks, Jets, Flyers, and Islanders would all show interest. And with those teams, the Canucks are highest on the waiver wire, so I think they'd probably put a claim in. Waive Nilsson (who could get picked up by one of the remaining teams, but highly unlikely) and either loan Nilsson to another AHL franchise or demote Bachman to the ECHL. A Markstrom/Sparks tandem for a year before a Sparks/Demko tandem would be exciting. Toronto currently has a three way goalie battle going on for the backup position with Sparks fighting Curtis McEleheniey and Chet Pickard. Could see McEleheney getting claimed too but he's 35. Pickard probably doesn't get claimed no matter the scenario.

And as others have said in this thread, if Tim Heed hits the waiver wire, you'd have to assume the Canucks would be interested. Maybe along with Jordan Schmaltz (another name dropped in this thread). The last round of cuts will be the most interesting. Since even the Canucks are bound to waive a guy or two that you wouldn't have expected a year or two ago.

Kind of surprised Gaunce hasnt been waived already, not lacing them up in recent pre season games is a pretty good indication, unless he has some kind of minor injury?

He is the easiest guy to cut loose in my opinion. He has a decent frame and skates alright but just doesnt play with an edge and cant score at all at this level. Signing Schaller to me showed that he was an expensive upgrade to our 4th line to replace the AHL level Gaunce

22 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I am hoping that San Jose places Tim Heed on waivers and/or St. Louis places Jordan Schmaltz on waivers. Both are RHD and Heed was better than 1 PPG in AHL during 2016/17 season. Heed also had 11 points in 29 games with the Sharks last year.

Was he or will he be?

17 hours ago, Quantum said:

100%, I think the Canucks, Jets, Flyers, and Islanders would all show interest. And with those teams, the Canucks are highest on the waiver wire, so I think they'd probably put a claim in. Waive Nilsson (who could get picked up by one of the remaining teams, but highly unlikely) and either loan Nilsson to another AHL franchise or demote Bachman to the ECHL. A Markstrom/Sparks tandem for a year before a Sparks/Demko tandem would be exciting. Toronto currently has a three way goalie battle going on for the backup position with Sparks fighting Curtis McEleheniey and Chet Pickard. Could see McEleheney getting claimed too but he's 35. Pickard probably doesn't get claimed no matter the scenario.

And as others have said in this thread, if Tim Heed hits the waiver wire, you'd have to assume the Canucks would be interested. Maybe along with Jordan Schmaltz (another name dropped in this thread). The last round of cuts will be the most interesting. Since even the Canucks are bound to waive a guy or two that you wouldn't have expected a year or two ago.

Why would the Jets be interested in Sparks? After Hellebuyck, they have a decent backup in Broissoit and they just re-signed Eric Comrie to a 1 year deal

1 hour ago, Apple Juice said:

Why would the Jets be interested in Sparks? After Hellebuyck, they have a decent backup in Broissoit and they just re-signed Eric Comrie to a 1 year deal

Because Broissoit isn't a great backup and Comrie needs another year (or two) in the AHL before he gets his NHL shot. I'd say Sparks (and/or Pickard) is an upgrade on Broissoit at the very least.

19 hours ago, Quantum said:

We can rebuild our D through the waiver wire!

2 hours ago, Quantum said:

Because Broissoit isn't a great backup and Comrie needs another year (or two) in the AHL before he gets his NHL shot. I'd say Sparks (and/or Pickard) is an upgrade on Broissoit at the very least.

Let's see what Brossoit can do now that he's out of that Edmonton system before deciding if he's a decent backup or not.

I'm not sure what Sparks has proven to be an upgrade. Brossoit has decent AHL numbers and doesn't have the stacked team that the Marlies had to inflate with his numbers. Every time Sparks has been given a chance at the NHL level, he has been underwhelming. Pickard has a bit of NHL experience, but at this point, I would see what I have in Brossoit before acquiring either of those goalies.

10 hours ago, Rick Blight said:

I would prefer to get him off waivers but would trade for him if necessary.

I'm not sure who he would replace at this point to be honest. He might be a minor upgrade to Pouliot, but is older than Pouliot. His numbers could have been boosted with the better support cast. At this point, he seems like another Philip Holm who we did not bring back, so I don't think he would make much of a difference aside from some change.

14 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I'm not sure who he would replace at this point to be honest. He might be a minor upgrade to Pouliot, but is older than Pouliot. His numbers could have been boosted with the better support cast. At this point, he seems like another Philip Holm who we did not bring back, so I don't think he would make much of a difference aside from some change.

Perhaps. I think the main thing would be to bring in a righty vs DP the lefty. I assume your talking about Heed?

19 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I think Heed would be our go to PP QB immediately upon arrival. None of our existing D would be capable of getting more than a point per game in the AHL and then close to 0.5 points per game in their 1st NHL stint. I have, admittedly, only seen Heed play twice but IMO we have nobody with his offensive skills.

Archived