The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

the only thing that didn't happen and should have, was an al pacino type flipping out,"your out of order your all out of order" as for the old man tapping the gavel ,someone needed to go over and bonk him  over his head with it. things like this is why the idiom " beyond a shadow of a doubt" is used.

Edited by chon derry

8 hours ago, redhdlois said:

I'm female and I just shake my head at all these women suddenly digging up the past.  It just seems like the 'latest' thing to do.

Hey girls, have you called rape on a guy before? no? well lets go then.  Its the new rage, all the hip girls are doing it..... lets all call rape....  :emot-parrot:

Come on...

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

A terrible situation for all side to say the least. 

Crime must be punished, but at the same time it has been many decades and the accused was probably some dumb kid acting inappropriately.  

With the whole #MeToo movement, it's about women finally standing up against the men who took advantage of them.  This case is kind of different that Kavanaugh technically wasn't even a "man" back then as he was still just a 17 year old teenage boy.  Semantics aside, I'm assuming he haven't been accused of assaulting others since that incident, so it's safe to say that he was just acting stupid back then.  I hate to downplay the trauma he has caused to Dr. Ford or any other individuals with similar experiences.... but to be punished for something done as a teen does seem to be opening a big can of worms later down the line.

Where are we going to draw the line in terms of past grievances?  Does age make any difference?  Does the type of immoral behaviour play a role?  If some Presidential candidate who used to be a bully in high school, should that be a reason to disqualify them?  What about some future judge nominee who was a 14 year old sneaking a peak at the girl's changing room?  What about a 17 year old girl who has been caught multiple times shoplifting and smoking weed.... who has since served in the military, volunteered for countless charities and is a pillar of the community... who is now 50 and a hopeful for a cabinet position... should her history be dragged out to discredit her?

I have no idea what the solution is... but this situation stinks from all sides.  

What I saw in that hearing room, was an angry, lying drunk, bawling his eyes out. What kind of beer do you like? Do you drink beer? Those were his questions to Klouback (sp) whose 90 year old father is a recovering alcoholic. My kinda guy to be rewarded with a job for life.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, inane said:

Yeah, 'left' or 'right' or whatever, that place is a hot mess. Watching an empire fail is ugly and I just hope they don't tear down many others as they do it.

There's an easy solution. Start voting for independent candidates. Ones that will actually listen to the electorate. Isn't that what democracy is all about? 

• Thanks 2

What I find is interesting is in Canada, you become a lawyer then you become a judge. Most (not all) have been very fair. When I did jury duty this last spring, the judge knew this was a rough (but fairly short) trial, with a very graphic murder. When we finished she entered the deliberation room and she thanked us for our service.

It was a little thing, but it was appreciated. 

Keeping politics out of the courts I think makes Canada a better place in my opinion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, Stelar said:

Hey girls, have you called rape on a guy before? no? well lets go then.  Its the new rage, all the hip girls are doing it..... lets all call rape....  :emot-parrot:

Come on...

Thing is, if someone (man or woman) accused me of assaulting them, I would be begging for an investigation to prove that they were lying. The simple fact that Kavanaugh won't ask for an investigation is surely enough to show that he's hiding something, whether it's this alleged incident or something else. If you're innocent of all charges / insinuations / accusations, you BEG for the chance to clear your name.

What you don't do is come out shouting belligerently, interrupting people, and showing yourself to be partisan. If I was American I'd be in the streets protesting at this nomination process. If this person embodies America, the country is doomed.

I think Hippy said it best on page one.....of the two, it was the victim who was far more composed under questioning. The accused got angry, sniped at the people asking questions and had his description of himself from the Fox interview shown to be a lie...

There is no burden of guilt or innocence, this is not a criminal trial. It is, in essence, a job interview, one that Kavanagh failed, IMHO.

From his misrepresentation of his high school and college life in the Fox interview, to refusing to answer questions, he has shown himself to be unworthy of a post on the highest court in the country.

There are many other qualified candidates. Even hard core Conservatives, such as the GOP wants. We all know Trump had his heart set on BK, because of his stance on whether a sitting President can be charged with a crime, but it's clearly time to move on to plan B,

TBH, as someone who finds the current state of the Republican party to be despicable, I am torn. On the one hand, I see a huge issue with this candidate attaining a lifetime appointment to SCOTUS, but OTOH, I see the GOP paying a price at the polls both in November and in 2020, as undecided women (and those who may have voted fro Trump out of distaste for Hillary) realize how much they matter in the eyes of the Republican party and say "Enough!".

• Upvote 1

BK doesn't want a FBI investigation.   They'll probably find too many skeletons in his closet.

The worse  would probably be being involved in a gang rape during his college years (that he is also accused of from a different victim).

10 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

There's an easy solution. Start voting for independent candidates. Ones that will actually listen to the electorate. Isn't that what democracy is all about? 

It seems like an easy solution, but I'm not so sure....

Had Bernie ran as an independent in 2016, he almost certainly would have taken millions of votes away from Hillary, but I have my doubts that he would have changed Trump's number significantly. Trump would have actually had this "landslide" victory that he loves to brag about so much. I believe Bernie realized this and it's why he threw his support behind Hillary once she had secured the nomination. He (quite rightly) saw the situation as one where Trump needed to be stopped at all costs and he sacrificed his own political ambitions to try and see that it happened. The fact that he was unsuccessful does not diminish the effort, IMO.

Further to that point, there are many people who believe that Ralph Nader running as an Independent is what gave Dubya the victory over Al Gore in 2000.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, BPA said:

BK doesn't want a FBI investigation.   They'll probably find too many skeletons in his closet.

The worse  would probably be being involved in a gang rape during his college years (that he is also accused of from a different victim).

I'm not sure about that.

Watching BK's testimony, I believe that his anger and outrage are real. He honestly believes that he is innocent. The most likely scenario, IMHO, is that the incident happened as Dr. Ford describes it and Kavanagh doesn't remember it, because he was too drunk.

Mark Judge is the wildcard. He either was too drunk and like Kavanagh doesn't remember, or he's lying to cover for his friend. He's already on record saying that he never saw Brett engage in the kind of behavior described by Ford, which, considering the writings in BK's yearbook, suggest that he's being less than honest.

I think it really comes down to the fact that Kavanagh and the entire GOP don't want an FBI investigation because it might delay the process long enough for the mid-terms to happen and the Republicans to lose the house and maybe even the Senate. They see getting this done quickly as the only way to be 100% sure that they get the chance to appoint Kennedy's replacement.

IMO, they really don't care about Ford, or whether the allegations are true. They want that seat on the Supreme Court and all other considerations are unimportant.

11 hours ago, canuckledraggin said:

Exactly. These ultra far-left liberal women are stepping forward 40 years after the fact. Give me a break. I could not care less about the issues on either side, but as an outside observer, I can't get behind the stories. 

is 40 years the cut off? thank god, maybe now we can stop hearing Albertans whine about PET and the national energy program. 

• Upvote 3

Ford was credible. Kavanaugh dodged questions. The American Bar Association called for an FBI investigation last night. Even the Jesuit's have released a statement saying this should be put on hold pending further investigation. 

You don't act when you are unsure, particularly when there's no real deadline, you go investigate further. 

What else do people need to know? pushing this through now is a terrible idea but they're going to do it anyway. 

55 minutes ago, BPA said:

According to his testimony the FBI has looked into his background half a dozen times and never found anything of the sort. Most recently the FBI did a background check for this nomination.

Of course the guy is angry, his family

is getting death threats and he has to explain the horror that is US politics to his children at a tender age. His reputation is under attack by a media that has a strong grasp on public opinion and always cling to a good story. All for something he categorically denies happened and the people claimed to have been there refute any memory of being there or this happening (under penalty of a felony)

He welcomed another FBI investigation for this incident but everyone knows if it gets prolonged another month or two and if the dems win the midterms then he wont get the job he has served decades to attain. All while this allegation will likely get lost in the wind. 

Im obviously in the minority here but he seems genuine and not to discount Fords past trauma since it was probably someone else who did the assaulting... she just conveniently remembers it was him and it was conveniently brought forward a week before the vote idk.

Looks like the vote is going forward regardless

• Upvote 4