The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Kavanaugh Hearings

OneSeventeen

12 hours ago, mpt said:

I completely disagree with your 2nd last paragraph.  If his nomination is withdrawn and he is innocent, then you can make allegations about anyone if you want to change a political outcome.  If he’s innocent he should be sworn in, if he is guilty he shouldn’t.  You can’t punish someone for doing nothing wrong if nothing wrong was done.

Whether he's guilty or innocent, he's fore sure a liar. He should not be put on the bench if he can't tell the truth. Noway he can answer NO to all those questions, and if that wasn't the act of a guilty man I guess I don't know what is. His manner and attitude said everything

12 hours ago, mpt said:

I completely disagree with your 2nd last paragraph.  If his nomination is withdrawn and he is innocent, then you can make allegations about anyone if you want to change a political outcome.  If he’s innocent he should be sworn in, if he is guilty he shouldn’t.  You can’t punish someone for doing nothing wrong if nothing wrong was done.

I understand and support what you're saying, innocent people should not have to face the consequences or any sort of scorn for being wrongfully accused. I think that's a noble and idealistic principal. But I don't think it can be applied in this case because we cannot conclude guilt or innocence based on yesterday's proceedings. Even if an FBI investigation were to happen, Mark Judge, his ex-girlfriend, Debbie Ramirez, Julie Stewnick and who ever else were to testify. I don't think we can get to the full truth of what happened. I think it would certainly shed more light into Kavanaugh's character but I don't think we can definitively arrive at the truth. That's sort of the crux of my argument as to why he should withdraw or should be withdrawn.

His nomination and if confirmed, his career as a Justice on the Supreme Court will forever be tainted by politics, scandal and mistrust. How can the public trust, respect and uphold the rulings of one of their most important legal institutions, a third of their federal government, if someone they ultimately do not trust is confirmed to a lifetime position of power? Brett Kavanaugh is not the only person qualified to sit on the Supreme Court. If it were me I would withdraw from the nomination myself because I believe it is important for a democratic society to trust it's institutions. I don't think my ego or my pain in being wrongfully accused is worth dividing our country and damaging the integrity of its highest court. Personally withdrawing IMO would be the patriotic thing to do.

3 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

Kavanaugh’s Response Pretty much follows the pattern of every powerful man who has been accused of similar. He gets self righteous and angry.  All he needed to do was say the woman wasn’t attractive enough for him to bother assaulting her and he would have gone full Trump. 

Fact is is he did his best to downplay his behaviour in his youth and to paraphrase said he was a saint in high-school, a saint in university and a saint now. 

Had he acted like a man and said what is patently clear that he drank to excess at times and wasn’t in control of his behaviour at times.  Explained that he had no recollection of this event and that if it had happened the way she said it did he was truly sorry and added some platitudes about praying on it and such, the debate would be over. The Republicans would happily of pushed him through. But he can’t even be honest about being a hard partying teenager. 

I don’t think it matters in the end. Lyndsey Graham and Orrin Hatch gave word to what every powerful man with a skeleton that was sitting in that chamber thought, they thought about themselves first.  I believe that every person in that room believed Dr. Ford, some just didn’t think that was enough to even slow down Kavanaugh’s inevitable confirmation. 

Over the last two years I have said the American’s won’t do that it is just too crazy, too far even for them and have been proven wrong every time. So this time I am saying they will push it out of committee this morning and vote him onto the bench next week. They will do this while blaming Democrats in wild conspiracy theories for ruining the reputation of this fine man while contuing to D-Calif the four women who have come forward insignificant and liars. After all what is four more women after the bus load that came forward about the Sexual Assaulter in Chief. 

‘Oh and I say this as a white man who grew up with some degree of privilege while living in the US. 

I'm still trying to process what this moment means. All I can say for now is that 11 male senators, men of significant privilege and power, did not know how to compassionately treat a woman who was brave enough to face them and share the most tragic experience of her life so they hid behind Rachel Mitchell. I'm watching the judiciary committee live right now and I'm just sickened and heartbroken. Voting against Kavanaugh's nomination isn't the same as saying he's guilty of sexual assault.

Edited by OneSeventeen

11 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

According to his testimony the FBI has looked into his background half a dozen times and never found anything of the sort. Most recently the FBI did a background check for this nomination.

Of course the guy is angry, his family

is getting death threats and he has to explain the horror that is US politics to his children at a tender age. His reputation is under attack by a media that has a strong grasp on public opinion and always cling to a good story. All for something he categorically denies happened and the people claimed to have been there refute any memory of being there or this happening (under penalty of a felony)

He welcomed another FBI investigation for this incident but everyone knows if it gets prolonged another month or two and if the dems win the midterms then he wont get the job he has served decades to attain. All while this allegation will likely get lost in the wind. 

Im obviously in the minority here but he seems genuine and not to discount Fords past trauma since it was probably someone else who did the assaulting... she just conveniently remembers it was him and it was conveniently brought forward a week before the vote idk.

Looks like the vote is going forward regardless

Please tell me you don't have a daughter.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

He welcomed another FBI investigation for this incident but everyone knows if it gets prolonged another month or two and if the dems win the midterms then he wont get the job he has served decades to attain. All while this allegation will likely get lost in the wind.

I really don't think he did. He did everything but commit to agreeing to that - he doesn't want it, else he'd have said right off the bat 'I will happily wait three months for the FBI to conduct a thorough investigation to clear my name and allow my nomination to proceed'. That's what any innocent person would have done - but the only reason not to ask for an FBI investigation is...if you know there's something there that's going to lose you the nomination.

13 minutes ago, Chicken. said:

According to his testimony the FBI has looked into his background half a dozen times and never found anything of the sort. Most recently the FBI did a background check for this nomination.

Of course the guy is angry, his family

is getting death threats and he has to explain the horror that is US politics to his children at a tender age. His reputation is under attack by a media that has a strong grasp on public opinion and always cling to a good story. All for something he categorically denies happened and the people claimed to have been there refute any memory of being there or this happening (under penalty of a felony)

Im obviously in the minority here but he seems genuine and not to discount Fords past trauma since it was probably someone else who did the assaulting... she just conveniently remembers it was him and it was conveniently brought forward a week before the vote idk.

Looks like the vote is going forward regardless

Yes, but she had nothing to do with when it was brought forward.  She brought this forward in July when the selection process was going forward.  She never asked to have her name made public.  She was just trying to be a good citizen and say that this is who this man is, take that into consideration when choosing who to bring forward.  She didn't ask to be thrust into the spotlight, in fact quite the opposite.

Kavanaugh did not welcome an FBI investigation, in fact the angry man who says he has been wronged and wants to clear his name would not answer questions about whether he would welcome that.  All of the alleged victims that have come forward have asked for the FBI to investigate it is only Kavanaugh, Mark Judge and the Republican party who don't want this.  The Anita Hill investigation took 2 days by the FBI.

In regards to it being convenient for her to remember it is him, that is just wildly off base, she didn't want any of this.  To describe any of this as a convenience for her is incredibly belittling and insulting to a women who has been through a horrible and very, very, very common situation.

There is still plenty of time before the November elections to look into all of these claims.  

Really I am not sure this makes much difference in the end.  They will ram him through, but even if they didn't there is a list of equally right wing judges to pick from for Trump to feed his base.  

In the end it will likely just energize the democratic base more going into the elections and frankly that is probably the game the Democrats are playing.  For the Republicans again it is incredibly ironic to hold this up and say it needs to be rammed through as they held up Garland for 16 months.  We haven't learned anything new about either of these parties and they are both culpable for this incredibly mismanaged situation.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, Captain Azzy said:

I really don't think he did. He did everything but commit to agreeing to that - he doesn't want it, else he'd have said right off the bat 'I will happily wait three months for the FBI to conduct a thorough investigation to clear my name and allow my nomination to proceed'. That's what any innocent person would have done - but the only reason not to ask for an FBI investigation is...if you know there's something there that's going to lose you the nomination.

that and he really doesn't like  orange cep't for donalds face lrgEM-3143_packaging_1600.jpg

1 hour ago, Chicken. said:

that doesn't prevent new evidence or testimony from coming forward that requires another look by the FBI. None of the previous checks mean anything other than Ford and others hadn't come forward yet.

If we took that view of things priests would be let off the hook for their past wrongdoing too. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It would seem there's quite a few feminists posting in this thread, and that's ok. What's not ok in my opinion is that for the most part you all seem to believe this woman's allegation without any evidence to back it up. What I've seen here in this thread so far is something to the effect of - 'a woman accused a man of a sexual assault! She must be telling the entire truth without fabrication and therefore he must be guilty!' - oh, and if you happen to disagree, well then I hope you dont have a daughter. Ridiculous.

You folks here realize that there was no rape, right? The accuser admitted this much herself. She named witnesses who could not corroborate her story, and one that had never even heard of Brett Kavanaugh. Although maybe they were all just a bit forgetful considering it's now 36 years after the "fact". The accuser certainly forgot a few things along the way.

I dont condone rape or any sexual assault by any means, but I'm not willing to accept every woman's accusation at her word as gospel. In this era of #MeToo where a woman can define an assault just about any way she likes and as far back in the past as she wants - effectively destroying her target's name, family, livelihood - WITHOUT CONSEQUENCE if she's not telling the entire truth or even outright lying to suit her own agenda - that I personally will not support either. Just wait until one of you virtuous knights in shining armor who believes every word every woman says, crosses the wrong woman, and she accuses you of a similar travesty. You WILL change your tune. I for one need cold hard evidence of a crime to believe it. Unfortunately that's hard to come by when a crime is not reported for decades.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 2