The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New Party (CAQ) Wins Quebec Election

DonLever

8 minutes ago, HerrDrFunk said:

Was the death of the PC party the death of the of conservative politics in Canada?

(I'm not being a smart ass, I'm genuinely curious on your views as I was a child living in the US when that happened)

I would say it was for a while. 1993 to 2005 and possibly longer if not for so much liberal sandals and corruption during that time. In fact Chretien is the only PM to win 3 straight majority governments so yes I think conservatives were in a bad spot at that time. I think traditional liberals feel they are in the centre.

3 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Well sure I imagine that is the plan for his supporters to believe but it's not reality and even Bernier knows that.

Especially when people just believe Scheer when he scares people that way.  The chances of Bernier winning are ridiculously low, but I have to make my moral choice and I have to vote for him.

7 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

All these people complaining about immigrants and voting in anti immigration parties just don't get it. Ask yourselves why do western governments bring in so many immigrants when it's not always popular with the established population? When it's tough for them to integrate, etc?

As Bill Clinton so famously said "It's the economy, Stupid". Birth rates especially across the western world are declining. This is not a good recipe for growing an economy. A growing economy needs more jobs, more workers, more consumers, higher wages, greater velocity of money, more inflation, more everything. So if people are not being birthed at needed levels, governments are going to bring in immigrants. Not because they want to, because they have to.

Just look at how western governments dealt with the Great Recession. They didn't let things fail and let the natural order of economics do it's thing. They wallpapered over it by plowing into trillions upon trillions of dollars of debt to get the economy growing. Because the resulting stagnation/deflation and possible breakdown of social order is unacceptable.

Western governments are willing to put up with the odd immigrant being a rapist or murderer. Because the fallout out from that is minor compared to the fallout of a stagnating or declining economy.

If you're one of the anti immigrant group, ask yourself how many kids do you have or are you planning to have? If the answer is 0,1 or 2 you're part of the reason why Canada is being inundated with immigrants. Either Canadians are going to have larger families or immigrants are coming.

It's the economy, Stupid.

I don't think immigration/immigrants is the issue it's how our governments are bending over backwards for them. Changing rules and laws to accommodate certain traditions and religions, building muslim only housing, changing wording as to not upset people believing in stone age rituals. Our governments are creating the problem, not immigrants, our governments are making many Canadians feel like second rate citizens and causing a large number of people to question the immigration system.

4 minutes ago, mpt said:

Especially when people just believe Scheer when he scares people that way.  The chances of Bernier winning are ridiculously low, but I have to make my moral choice and I have to vote for him.

Hey I got nothing against that. By all means go out and vote for the party or individual you support, that's what you should do. 

I'm just saying if he gets lets say 15% of the vote most likely at least 10% would be from conservative voters which will hand Trudeau another mandate. 

57 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

The party describes itself as of neither the left nor the right: it is not particularly economically conservative, with economic policies similar to the Quebec Liberal Party and social policies to their right.[30] However, its politics have been described in the press as centre-right by Quebec standards.[31][32][33][34][35][36]

The party proposes government investment in education and partial decentralization of the healthcare system. They promise "to further develop the entrepreneurial culture in Québec" and provide government resources for the private sector. The party also supports austerity "to provide the government with the flexibility it needs to adapt to the ongoing changes in the economy"; one measure specifically mentioned is leaving 6,000 open Hydro-Québec employment positions unfilled.[37]

The party supports abolishing school boards and increasing the autonomy of principals and their governing boards.[38]

Although the party does not support independence, it advocates Quebec nationalism.[37] On 10 April 2014, the party stated that it would never hold a referendum on leaving Canada: "[There] will never be a referendum for the life of the coalition even after 10 years, even after 20 years, so that's clear. And I was clear but people understood something else."[39] François Legault also pointed out that "Once it is clear that there will never be a referendum with the Coalition Avenir Québec, the anglophones and allophones, who don't want a referendum, have to understand that we offer an alternative to the Liberals."[40] However, Legault has stated "aggressive[ly]" that a CAQ government would not repeal Bill 101.[41]

The party is critical of equalization paymentsand plans to remove Quebec from receiving equalization payments.[42]

According to the party, Quebec is defined by "its historical heritage, the French language, its democratic ideals and the principles of the secularity of the State, and equality among men and women".[37] The Party supported the Quebec ban on face covering but also argue the ban is not extensive enough.[43] This includes limiting immigration and promoting the use of French without creating new barriers. The party supports multiculturalisminsofar as to "integrate newcomers".[37] In 2018, it plans to cut the number of immigrants by 20 per cent, to 40,000 annually.[44]

Sounds like it will succeed where the PQ never could.

5 minutes ago, mpt said:

Yeah, I don't think Scheer would help the Conservatives win the election at all. He's seemingly out of touch with today's society and it's going to backfire on him. Trudeau's going to win an easy election until there's better candidates out there.

Just now, Ryan Strome said:

Dazzle my friend I'm really starting to think separatism is dead in Quebec and that makes me very happy.

I hope this kills off the PQ party entirely. Trying to force the separation issue to this day is why they just don't 'get it'.

1 minute ago, Dazzle said:

Yeah, I don't think Scheer would help the Conservatives win the election at all. He's seemingly out of touch with today's society and it's going to backfire on him. Trudeau's going to win an easy election until there's better candidates out there.

I always find it funny that all the major parties always have better candidates then the leader they picked.

Better than JT

Andrew Leslie

Christia Freeland

Better than Scheer

Erin O'toole

Michelle Rempel

Better than Singh

Just about any ndp'er.

7 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

I don't think immigration/immigrants is the issue it's how our governments are bending over backwards for them. Changing rules and laws to accommodate certain traditions and religions, building muslim only housing, changing wording as to not upset people believing in stone age rituals. Our governments are creating the problem, not immigrants, our governments are making many Canadians feel like second rate citizens and causing a large number of people to question the immigration system.

Can't really argue with what you wrote, but they have to ensure they are successful don't they? Otherwise what is the point of bringing them over? They need to find employment and become tax payers and participants in the economy. They will be far more successful if they are happy. So governments do what they have to do to ensure their success. If that means bending over backwards to accommodate them then that's what they do. If Canadians are not reproducing at needed rates what choice do they have?

Just now, nuckin_futz said:

Can't really argue with what you wrote, but they have to ensure they are successful don't they? Otherwise what is the point of bringing them over? They need to find employment and become tax payers and participants in the economy. They will be far more successful if they are happy. So governments do what they have to do to ensure their success. If that means bending over backwards to accommodate them then that's what they do. If Canadians are not reproducing at needed rates what choice do they have?

I understand what you are saying and you are right I'm just pointing out it's the governments that deserve most the blame not immigrants.

30 minutes ago, nuckin_futz said:

All these people complaining about immigrants and voting in anti immigration parties just don't get it. Ask yourselves why do western governments bring in so many immigrants when it's not always popular with the established population? When it's tough for them to integrate, etc?

As Bill Clinton so famously said "It's the economy, Stupid". Birth rates especially across the western world are declining. This is not a good recipe for growing an economy. A growing economy needs more jobs, more workers, more consumers, higher wages, greater velocity of money, more inflation, more everything. So if people are not being birthed at needed levels, governments are going to bring in immigrants. Not because they want to, because they have to.

Just look at how western governments dealt with the Great Recession. They didn't let things fail and let the natural order of economics do it's thing. They wallpapered over it by plowing into trillions upon trillions of dollars of debt to get the economy growing. Because the resulting stagnation/deflation and possible breakdown of social order is unacceptable.

Western governments are willing to put up with the odd immigrant being a rapist or murderer. Because the fallout out from that is minor compared to the fallout of a stagnating or declining economy.

If you're one of the anti immigrant group, ask yourself how many kids do you have or are you planning to have? If the answer is 0,1 or 2 you're part of the reason why Canada is being inundated with immigrants. Either Canadians are going to have larger families or immigrants are coming.

It's the economy, Stupid.

It’s that simple, total EU fertility rate is 1.60 which is not enough to grow population.

The only way Germany, France U.K etc. will increase population is by immigration.

Countries that don’t have immigration like Bulgaria, Poland, Lithuania, Romania will lose as much as 1/3 of their population by 2040.

If all of sudden fertility rate climbed to 2.5 or higher in western Europe, all Africans, Arabs, Turks etc. would be sent packing.

12 minutes ago, Ryan Strome said:

Dazzle my friend I'm really starting to think separatism is dead in Quebec and that makes me very happy.

The cause for separation is becoming smaller and smaller as the older generation most in favour of separation are dying off.  The people of the 1960's and of the 1970's were in the forefront of the separation movement and their time has past.  The younger generation are more international in outlook and look at the big picture.  It is like Brexit, the older generation was in favour of leaving but young people were not.

1 hour ago, 6string said:

Off course the exception is here in BC where the Liberal party is a ( Big C ) Conservative party, but yes the libtard/antifa factions are breaking and taking from traditional liberals and making it all possible for these changes globally.

antifa? really? the USA is thataway man (and that group is nothing more than a right wing bogeyman anyway)

Archived