The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

The start of a HOF career

Gator

Ummm, Daigle had 51pts in the NHL as a 19 year old - which is actually better than leading the SHL.  We actually have the lottery right now because Ottawa tanked in order to draft him.  He's also the reason why we have rookie salary limits, because they gave him the biggest rookie contract ever.

And, it's funny you mentioned Forsberg - as the Nords offered Forsberg++ in order to get the #1 overall pick so they could draft Daigle.  Ottawa said no to that (and to another #1 overall player they offered).

6 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Ummm, Daigle had 51pts in the NHL as a 19 year old - which is actually better than leading the SHL.  We actually have the lottery right now because Ottawa tanked in order to draft him.  He's also the reason why we have rookie salary limits, because they gave him the biggest rookie contract ever.

And, it's funny you mentioned Forsberg - as the Nords offered Forsberg++ in order to get the #1 overall pick so they could draft Daigle.  Ottawa said no to that (and to another #1 overall player they offered).

Pettersson will beat that record shortly after the halfway point of the season.

80-100pts

2 hours ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

No, not the same age.  Daigle was 18 (and 8 months) when he started his first full season in the NHL, Pettersson was 19 (and 10 months).

Ok, fine you win. Did Daigle dominate a men’s league, win mvp and playoff mvp and rookie of the year. Who cares.

12 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

Point in every one of his first 5 games? How did I jinx? This kid is a beauty!!!

Jinx because he might have concussion issues that will prevent him reaching the hof now. Never assume, crap happens like Bourdon for example and now possibly this. Man we are cursed.

7 hours ago, Tomatoes11 said:

Jinx because he might have concussion issues that will prevent him reaching the hof now. Never assume, crap happens like Bourdon for example and now possibly this. Man we are cursed.

It wasn't that bad, could've just got the wind knocked out of him.. we need a guy that'll beat up players for taking shots at our young small stars like that

Tryamkin :)

3 hours ago, Brock Botanen said:

It wasn't that bad, could've just got the wind knocked out of him.. we need a guy that'll beat up players for taking shots at our young small stars like that

If it was just the wind knocked out of him he would have returned the same game and would be completely better today and not slightly better. Concussion issues are tricky. He can survive them and thrive like crosbitch and pronger, play a lot worse than he could have like Kariya, or could just end his career. Either way, you are more prone to them after your first, so we might be screwed now unfortunately and should start plan B, lose for Hughes just in case.

1 hour ago, Brock Botanen said:

Oh man I wish he was only winded, he was like Bambi getting up. That doesn’t happen when you have the wind knocked out of you. I love your optimism but EP got his bell rung. Don’t want to accumulate more of those. I hope in a few years that groot comes back but in the meantime we have to hope that the grit group we signed in the off-season end up doing what they were brought in for. 

If Pettersson, a big IF, during his career, stays at least relatively healthy, which would parallel how many years he is in the league, I have no problem predicting he'll be in the HHoF one day.  Bure's been brought up. His acquisition was the time I became a die hard fan. He only had to play a few games in the NHL for me to see a future super star, and so did most of Canuckistan, and the league.

That is what is happening with Pettersson now. That opinion, or belief, is not based on only a few NHL games. That is just the final test. No one knew for sure if he would survive at all, being transported half ways around the world and directly onto an opening NHL season lineup, this skinny 19 year old kid.  But before he came here, this kid already was setting records and winning hardware playing with grown men back home in Sweden. He turned heads even more AFTER the 2017 draft.

Winning the Swedish Hockey League championship, playing with grown men, yet managed 19 points in 13 playoff games, setting a record for a rookie, and following the Sedins, won the Swedish Hockey Player of the Year.  

Then immediately off to the World IIHF Hockey championship to help Sweden win that. Scoring beauties. 

He was the one bright spot in the pre-season.

And has now scored points in every game so far. But more than that, he's always in the play, defensively and offensively.

I've seen this movie before. He is going to be a star.

Our star

elias-pettersson-covered-in-gold-body-pa

• 3 weeks later...
On 04/10/2018 at 6:24 PM, Rush17 said:

I heard them mention the twins will likely be in the ring of honour next season. I'm curious if we see them delay the twins jersey retirement for when the kids they helped along become older and more established. 

It would be sweet to raise their jerseys to the rafters after the team has a deep playoff run or wins a cup. The young players would really appreciate it more at that time.

I thought for sure their jerseys would go up next year so I was surprised to hear that. Have we heard anything official on the matter? 

Rafters or ring of honour?

Is that even a question?

Most and second most points scored by any Canuck in the history of the club?

I'd say this its just a matter of finding the date and paint 22 and 33 on the flags that will be hanging from the rafters at Rogers Area...

On 10/31/2018 at 9:13 AM, Hindustan Smyl said:

I’m going to sound like a biased homer right now, but here’s my honest opinion:

I don’t think Elias Pettersson is that far off from Auston Matthews or Connor McDavid.  Yes....I said it.  And yes......I went there.

Shhhhhh wait until his ELC is up before you say that :ph34r:

Archived