The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

New look power play (sans Sedins)

Noseforthenet

I was compelled to make this its own thread. So we don't have the Sedins on the powerplay anymore. I loved them. Such consummate professionals...but...Henrik on the half wall got really predictable. Henrik wouldn't shoot the puck!!! Teams would cheat and cover guys not named Henrik Sedin on the ice. How many times have I sweared at the TV for Henrik to shoot the puck from the half wall? Too many to count! Now Petterson is manning the half wall and wow...what a relief. It's going to open up so much with that deadly shot. No more cheating checks. Hats off to Henrik for still finding a way to make it work all these years, but it didn't help the team win in the twilight. I'm so excited to see everything that comes of this powerplay this year and NEXT especially!!!

It is nice to have a shooting presence there instead of the Sedins, defenses would cheat off the Sedins because 99 times out of 100 they would look for a pass instead of shot. With that said, yeah you knew what the Sedins were likely looking for, just like you know what Ovi is looking for, but on sheer greatness alone they made it work and it leaves you sitting there thinking "How do they keep doing this to us? We know what they want to do." They were magicians and our PP was for the most part a joy to watch with them. 

It'll be a joy to watch now too, especially with two wing options that can absolutely smash the puck anywhere they want on the net AND Pettersson can move the puck potentially on par with the Sedins. Bo is a good net front option, good hands, nose for scoring. Once Hughes comes in, oh boy. I am drooling just thinking of a PP comprised of Bo, Pettersson, Boeser, Dahlen and Hughes.

57 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

It reminds me of the 2009-10 Henrik, when he put up 29 goals.  

The other team would always assume he would pass... only for him to snipe a few in.  

He'll be one of very few forwards since 1970 to get into the Hall of Fame without ever scoring 30 goals.  Might be just him and Gainey.

2 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

He'll be one of very few forwards since 1970 to get into the Hall of Fame without ever scoring 30 goals.  Might be just him and Gainey.

You bet he will.  One look at Gaineys stats and some might wonder how the heck he ever got in, but those that know or who has the pleasure to see him do his thing understand why a trophy was inspired by him, and he’d have more Selkes than anyone if it was there from the start of his career.   Pettersson reminds me a bit of Datsyuk, it’s early of course but he’s involved defensively and had embraced his relatively new center responsibilities.  Man does he impress, and it looks like he’s just getting started...best player every game he plays, I love that Green is easing him into it, but have a feeling that he could play 20 minutes and against top competition and manage fine.  Which will happen very soon organically, and give Horvats line the break they need to get going at the same time.

Like the new look PP, just wish last night the guys Pettersson dished sweet passes too would wake up and be ready for them, twice they missed and it ended up having odd man short handed rushes the other way, no fault of EP because it set us up for a scoring chance, the guys need to be ready with there stick on the ice as he’s making room for us that we need to take advantage of.  He’s the real deal, he’s going to turn Goldobin into a legitimate second liner, just imagine what he could do playing with more...

5 hours ago, Lancaster said:

It reminds me of the 2009-10 Henrik, when he put up 29 goals.  

The other team would always assume he would pass... only for him to snipe a few in.  

Part of the reason was Daniel missed about a quarter of the season. Henrik shot a lot more without Daniel to pass to. 

10 minutes ago, Baggins said:

Part of the reason was Daniel missed about a quarter of the season. Henrik shot a lot more without Daniel to pass to. 

Totally agree, that was Hanks best season, he distributed the puck well to everyone instead of just looking for his brother.

16 hours ago, IBatch said:

You bet he will.  One look at Gaineys stats and some might wonder how the heck he ever got in, but those that know or who has the pleasure to see him do his thing understand why a trophy was inspired by him, and he’d have more Selkes than anyone if it was there from the start of his career.   Pettersson reminds me a bit of Datsyuk, it’s early of course but he’s involved defensively and had embraced his relatively new center responsibilities.  Man does he impress, and it looks like he’s just getting started...best player every game he plays, I love that Green is easing him into it, but have a feeling that he could play 20 minutes and against top competition and manage fine.  Which will happen very soon organically, and give Horvats line the break they need to get going at the same time.

Yeah, multiple Selke winners ought to get a little more respect from the Hall.  At least guys like Carbonneau and Bergeron, maybe Brind'Amour.

7 hours ago, Kevin Biestra said:

Yeah, multiple Selke winners ought to get a little more respect from the Hall.  At least guys like Carbonneau and Bergeron, maybe Brind'Amour.

I think so too.  Dallas had a good one too their cup team, won a few Selkes.  Bergeron will be a first ballot inductee I’m sure but Rod the Bod deserves consideration given how good he was on CAR cup team for sure.    Don’t know why some guys get in where others are overlooked, like Vachon is in (not sure why) and Wilson is out still.  I liked Gillies induction because he was the best tough guy that could score too (call it a power forward), but think the criteria has gone down a notch the last decade and it’s gone from the Hall of Elite, to the Hall of very good, just to keep the doors open, a new ceremony every year and the interest high.  It’s a great place to go,  about the only thing I’d like to do in TO, but aside from Langway voters for both trophies and the HHOF maybe need to expand their minds and allow some of the greatest players that were good at specific jobs, not just getting points.

Id rather see some validation for a guy like Probert, than just going down the list to see who’s next on points and putting him in, or best chirpers that also produced at a high level (Linseman, Tekanan), maybe even don’t give them full status but add a section honouring those guys too.  Best defensive defenseman etc, Lowe warrants consideration for example, key member of the Oilers dynasty, all-star etc. 

On 10/7/2018 at 9:05 AM, IBatch said:

Like the new look PP, just wish last night the guys Pettersson dished sweet passes too would wake up and be ready for them, twice they missed and it ended up having odd man short handed rushes the other way, no fault of EP because it set us up for a scoring chance, the guys need to be ready with there stick on the ice as he’s making room for us that we need to take advantage of.  He’s the real deal, he’s going to turn Goldobin into a legitimate second liner, just imagine what he could do playing with more...

Good observation

Petterrson has been coaching his linemates on where to go and what to do....it will take time for his linemates to figure him out. I saw him drawing on his hand showing Goldy where to be and also telling the "D" what to do...everything will go through Pettersson when he is on the ice...because he is the straw that stirs the drink, he will get everyone on the same page (when his line is on the ice).  Chemistry takes time....and may come quicker with good communication. The best time to teach strategy is during a game...this is what EP is doing.

Archived