The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Humbolt Broncos - PLEASE DO NOT BUY THIS BOOK

Rob_Zepp

13 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

Sometimes you just need to move on. The world doesn't cater to anyone. They of all people should know this.

On 09/10/2018 at 5:01 PM, Western Red said:

I agree.

On 09/10/2018 at 3:25 PM, Tre Mac said:

I really don't see what the problem is here.  Millions of dollars were raised around the world, the families will be well taken care in that respect.  The author uses public domain as a source, which he is allowed to do. 

This is some backwards $&!#. The guy is a snake. He asked the families if they were okay with it and they said no, but then he goes and does it anyway. So why did you ask them in the first place? 

The guy is totally entitled to write a book using information that can be found in the public domain. What I don't like is asking permission, being told no, and then doing it anyway. Guy seems very disingenuous. 

I didn't ask my wife's father permission to marry his daughter, because if he told me no, I would have done it anyway. Asking permission to do something that you would do regardless is completely dishonest and phoney. 

50 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

This is some backwards $&!#. The guy is a snake. He asked the families if they were okay with it and they said no, but then he goes and does it anyway. So why did you ask them in the first place? 

The guy is totally entitled to write a book using information that can be found in the public domain. What I don't like is asking permission, being told no, and then doing it anyway. Guy seems very disingenuous. 

I didn't ask my wife's father permission to marry his daughter, because if he told me no, I would have done it anyway. Asking permission to do something that you would do regardless is completely dishonest and phoney. 

It's not right, but that's my whole point. The world is full of people who don't do what's always right. If you keep letting it get to you, you will have a tough time. 

14 hours ago, Where'd Luongo? said:

It's not right, but that's my whole point. The world is full of people who don't do what's always right. If you keep letting it get to you, you will have a tough time. 

But there can also be a difference between being wronged and crying into your pillow and being wronged and standing up for yourself and exposing someone as a liar (or at least insincere). 

17 hours ago, Down by the River said:

From what I read, the families hired a lawyer to help determine how the money should be allocated. They are in no way suing each other for money. 

They wouldn't hire a lawyer then, or individual lawyers. If all 29 families were serious, they would simply submit to MANDATORY ARBITRATION, and then let a single (respected) arbitrator divide the funds as he/she saw fit. Arbitrators are cheap and efficient - lawyers are only out to make money. The lawyers will get involved in this and turn it into a HUGE mess and by the time it is done I bet half of the money goes to legal fees, all because some trash person thought their child's death was more important. I feel like all the parents who had kids die vs all the parents who had kids live are against each other. Pitiful.

6 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

They wouldn't hire a lawyer then, or individual lawyers. If all 29 families were serious, they would simply submit to MANDATORY ARBITRATION, and then let a single (respected) arbitrator divide the funds as he/she saw fit. Arbitrators are cheap and efficient - lawyers are only out to make money. The lawyers will get involved in this and turn it into a HUGE mess and by the time it is done I bet half of the money goes to legal fees, all because some trash person thought their child's death was more important. I feel like all the parents who had kids die vs all the parents who had kids live are against each other. Pitiful.

You clearly have not a clue about what is actually happening for and some of the things you are saying and implying would be hurtful for those families beyond whatever you can likely understand.   There is zero division among the parents - just shared grief and a lack on a clear path as everyone takes their own timetable to get to a place this needs to.

The “huge mess” was these families losing their boys.   Don’t try and make it something different.   

On 2018-10-11 at 2:19 PM, DonaldBrashear said:

You are making some rather general statements for a very specific case. You don't exactly know what's going on do you? (And please don't reply with merely general statements. Give proof please otherwise I'll know you're full of it).

39 minutes ago, The Lock said:

You are making some rather general statements for a very specific case. You don't exactly know what's going on do you? (And please don't reply with merely general statements. Give proof please otherwise I'll know you're full of it).

Here you go:

https://world.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/lawyers-spark-fighting-between-humboldt-broncos-families-with-15-million-gofundme-account-at-stake

Lawyers spark fighting between Humboldt Broncos families with $15+ million GoFundMe account at stake

In the wake of a horrific bus crash in northern Saskatchewan that claimed the life of 16 individuals back in April, the hockey community banded together in support of the victims and pledged an incredible $15+ million to the families of the victims. To date, the Funds for Humboldt Broncos GoFundMe campaign is the largest in the crowdfunding platform’s history and has far exceeded the original $4 million goal. Now the question is… who gets the money and how much do they get?

According to a report from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), a Saskatchewan court has approved the first set of interim payments to the families of the victims. Each family will receive $50,000 of the $15.2 million raised, with the balance to be held in trust for now.

“They [these families] urgently require access to funds in order to meet the financial obligations imposed upon them by the accident, in order to pay bills, in order to replace lost employment income and to be able to continue to care for their families,” wrote Darrin Duell, president of the memorial fund.

Makes sense, but what about the rest of the money? Well, surprise, surprise, but it appears as though the lawyers involved can’t quite come to an agreement on how much each families should receive. In particular the legal language used in such cases argues that victims can receive compensation for “expenses incurred” provided that they’re able to provide proof in the form of receipts. This means that some families may be able, in theory, to claim a larger share of the money than others. This, of course, is something that doesn’t sit right with the families or lawyers Tim Hodgson and Kevin Mellor. As a result, the balance of the fund, well over $14 million, will be held in trust and an independent five person advisory committee will decide how the rest it should be divided. 

Those on the committee include:
* Hayley Wickenheiser, retired Olympic women’s national team gold medallist.
* Mark Chipman, chairman of the company that owns the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets.
* Dennis Ball, a recently retired Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench judge.
* Dr. Peter Spafford, who’s in charge of head and neck surgery at the University of Saskatchewan’s College of Medicine.
* Kevin Cameron, executive director of the Canadian Centre for Threat Assessment and Trauma Response.

For what it’s worth, at least one family affected by the crash feels that the money should be divided up evenly amongst those affected. 

“I just say divide it, but that’s just me,” Tom Straschnitzki, whose son Ryan was paralyzed from the chest down, told CBC News earlier this summer. “That’s my opinion.”

Whether or not this transpires remains to be seen. Buckle up, things could get ugly.

On 10/10/2018 at 9:12 PM, Down by the River said:

whether you actually asked for his permission or not

is not really the only way to do things

to show some degree of respect

you might have inquired into or become a bit knowledgeable about his views

and then gone ahead regardless

asking someone for their view does not mean you are bound by their view

it is only one step in being respectful

i really do not understand all the blow back against this writer

i can find all this info online or other sources

so he consolidated it

and now is marketing that tome

and that makes it and him somehow bad ?

1 hour ago, coastal.view said:

whether you actually asked for his permission or not

is not really the only way to do things

to show some degree of respect

you might have inquired into or become a bit knowledgeable about his views

and then gone ahead regardless

asking someone for their view does not mean you are bound by their view

it is only one step in being respectful

Why ask for permission if you don't care whether they say no? This is simply placating someone. It is disingenuous, two-faced, and the opposite of respectful. 

20 hours ago, DonaldBrashear said:

Here you go:

https://world.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/lawyers-spark-fighting-between-humboldt-broncos-families-with-15-million-gofundme-account-at-stake

Lawyers spark fighting between Humboldt Broncos families with $15+ million GoFundMe account at stake

In the wake of a horrific bus crash in northern Saskatchewan that claimed the life of 16 individuals back in April, the hockey community banded together in support of the victims and pledged an incredible $15+ million to the families of the victims. To date, the Funds for Humboldt Broncos GoFundMe campaign is the largest in the crowdfunding platform’s history and has far exceeded the original $4 million goal. Now the question is… who gets the money and how much do they get?

According to a report from the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC), a Saskatchewan court has approved the first set of interim payments to the families of the victims. Each family will receive $50,000 of the $15.2 million raised, with the balance to be held in trust for now.

“They [these families] urgently require access to funds in order to meet the financial obligations imposed upon them by the accident, in order to pay bills, in order to replace lost employment income and to be able to continue to care for their families,” wrote Darrin Duell, president of the memorial fund.

Makes sense, but what about the rest of the money? Well, surprise, surprise, but it appears as though the lawyers involved can’t quite come to an agreement on how much each families should receive. In particular the legal language used in such cases argues that victims can receive compensation for “expenses incurred” provided that they’re able to provide proof in the form of receipts. This means that some families may be able, in theory, to claim a larger share of the money than others. This, of course, is something that doesn’t sit right with the families or lawyers Tim Hodgson and Kevin Mellor. As a result, the balance of the fund, well over $14 million, will be held in trust and an independent five person advisory committee will decide how the rest it should be divided. 

Those on the committee include:
* Hayley Wickenheiser, retired Olympic women’s national team gold medallist.
* Mark Chipman, chairman of the company that owns the NHL’s Winnipeg Jets.
* Dennis Ball, a recently retired Saskatchewan Court of Queen’s Bench judge.
* Dr. Peter Spafford, who’s in charge of head and neck surgery at the University of Saskatchewan’s College of Medicine.
* Kevin Cameron, executive director of the Canadian Centre for Threat Assessment and Trauma Response.

For what it’s worth, at least one family affected by the crash feels that the money should be divided up evenly amongst those affected. 

“I just say divide it, but that’s just me,” Tom Straschnitzki, whose son Ryan was paralyzed from the chest down, told CBC News earlier this summer. “That’s my opinion.”

Whether or not this transpires remains to be seen. Buckle up, things could get ugly.

Seems more like it's the lawyers being greedy than the families themselves. A shame how much people take advantages of others' pain. In any case, thanks for at least coming up with an article than just blabbering away.

Archived