Pour up (drank),

Drop pass (drank),

Turnover (drank),

Zone entry (drank),

Goal for (drank),

Goal against (drank),

Faded (drank),

Faded (drank)

Lol, I hope I'm not the only one who got this.

5 hours ago, nuckin_futz said:

Can't make a drinking game out of it.

You'd die of alcohol poisoning.

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

challenge accepted.

Let's do it. Need an excuse to drink during games anyway. Might as well be something I loathe.

5 hours ago, YEGCanuck said:

The drop-pass is such a lame move itr should be banned from pro-hockey. That being said to answer the challenge i will take a hit each time the team uses it on the power-play.

It's actually an effective play when done properly. The initial puck carrier is suppose to attack with speed allowing the option of breaking into the zone himself or drawing /pushing back the defender and then dropping off so the next guy can come in at full speed against the drawn/flat-footed defender. Unfortunately Edler is too slow to execute this play properly and telegraphs it, but despite this, the drop off allows the receiver of the drop pass to be able to come in with speed which is harder for a trap to handle. Many teams employ the same strategy because it's an effective one when done right.

5 hours ago, MikeyD said:

When Quinn Hughes makes the team, we will see this play happen so much less. 

Hughes has the ability to carry the puck on his own, but because of this, I think the drop pass might actually be more effective with his style of play.

22 minutes ago, Goal:thecup said:

I think it works because it sets up a legal pick.

The dropper ends up between the droppee and the checker.

The droppee can then choose which side of the pick works best.

Still wish they would do less of it and think it would be more effective if more infrequent.

I don't mind how frequently we do it because of the effectiveness of it, but we need someone that has that extra gear (Hughes) to go on a rush occasionally catching the opponent off guard thinking another drop pass will happen.

15 hours ago, DS4quality said:

I noticed a lot of teams deploy their powerplay this way. I thought it was a canuck thing but it's not.

It was a Canuck thing until teams started noticing that it was a more effective way of gaining entry into the zone. Used to be a time where it was dump the puck in and have 3 or even 4 guys converge on the puck or have your best skilled player skate it in. When he joined the Canucks in 2010 and running the PP, he employed this system and it worked wonders. Since then, teams have been using it thanks to Brown.

Who cares, it's the best way to gain the zone. Way better than the old dump it in and have 3 guys muck it up in the corner for 20 seconds before it's dumped back down the ice. 

As already stated, basically every team in the league uses it now and will continue to use it until somebody figures out a good way to stop it. 

It's cool how much of an impact the Sedins and Newell Brown have had on powerplay tactics. 

Archived